York9 - Season Thread 2020

York 9 was always the stupidest logo with the stupidest name with the stupidest baloney backstory in the stupidest location with the least hope of success. As someone that's always counted themselves a York 9 hater first, Forge fan second all I can do is hope that the rebrand continues this history of stupidity and comes up with something equally stupid.

13 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

York 9 was always the stupidest logo with the stupidest name with the stupidest baloney backstory in the stupidest location with the least hope of success....

Guess it was to leave room for future Mississauga, Brampton, Durham, Oakville... teams, but as was highly predictable they will be doing well to make one GTA team work, so they would probably be better off with Toronto branding now.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, narduch said:

They could easily just rebrand as York FC and try to attract people from York Region and North York. 

You can even keep the colour scheme in order to differentiate the team

The fact that York is ambiguous yet still has meaning in Toronto, York Region, North York, etc. would work to their advantage. 

The fact that you have to explain the 9 (not self-evident as someone who lived in York Region) is a branding failure.

Also it can be a low-key change without pissing off the people already on the bandwagon or picking something total new out of left field.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

That's mad. Why have a York region but not include actual York?

Toronto was actually named York because Governor Simcoe liked English names not First Nations ones.  Residents petitioned to change the name back to Toronto in 1834 (1793 was when it was changed to York but I assume Simcoe was out of the picture by 1834).  So inside Toronto there is North York, the city of York, and East York.  The region extended north to Lake Simcoe (almost up to Barrie) so there are a lot of 'York' names up there too including the county (now Region).  

Having lived and worked in North York and Vaughan over ten years until I moved west a couple years ago, I could have told the FO myself they should choose one or the other for branding.  It should have been North York (or Toronto) playing in North York, or York9 playing in Vaughan/Richmond Hill.  People in Vaughan don't go to North York when they're going to Toronto unless they go to school at York U.  They go downtown for entertainment.  People in North York look at York Region as "on the way to cottage country" or the rich area where all the Italians and Russians live. There may only be a street separating the regions, but Steeles Ave. is sort of like the dividing line between water and oil.  They barely mix.  It would be like putting a team in a stadium by the 407 in northern Mississauga and calling them Brampton.

Gotta pick one.  York region team in York region proper or North York (Toronto) team in North York.

Don't get me wrong.  I think that both the York region and North York itself  having CPL teams in time can both be viable, but as two different entities, not one that doesn't appeal to either potential fanbase.

Edited by Trois Reds

21 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

No way abzi is on the bench. 

He's the best defender on the team. 

I know, was just throwing together a formation that would have Petrasso, Telfer, Vas and Uga in the starting lineup like you had posted earlier. As I said I don’t think that formation actually happens. 

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

For the benefit of those of us not from Toronto, is North York not in the York Region? 

Toronto used to be called York. Mega City Toronto was made by amalgamating the smaller cities like Scarborough, Etobicoke and North York.  This was done in the late 90’s and was contested by many of the cities. The City of Toronto still maintains these names. Municipal offices will be referred to as City of Toronto - Scarborough Office.

York Region is a different regional municipality that is made up of the 9 cities Y9 refers to.  Markham, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Stouffville King, Georgina, Uxbridge, Aurora and Newmarket. 

York 9 play out of York University which is located in North York (within the City of Toronto limits) which just outside of Vaughan. 

Smart.

You don't want to be tied down to York Region because of the name and promise to build in Vaughan.

What if 10 years from now Downsview Park happens to make more sense?  A subway ride away from both York Region and York (1 of the 6 in Toronto) while being in North York while  being steps away from North York Centre which is north of York Mills... Further down is Yorkville. Did I forget to mention that Toronto used to be called York.

That was my case to call the team "York FC". 

Instead of representing 1.2M in York, you become the club of over 2M people 

Edited by Ansem

On 6/5/2020 at 10:26 AM, The Real Marc said:

York 9 was always the stupidest logo with the stupidest name with the stupidest baloney backstory in the stupidest location with the least hope of success. As someone that's always counted themselves a York 9 hater first, Forge fan second all I can do is hope that the rebrand continues this history of stupidity and comes up with something equally stupid.

I like the stripped down Y9 logo, only the cool kids wear that.

0004299_york-9-fc-snapback-cap.jpeg

On 6/5/2020 at 10:27 AM, The Real Marc said:

The same way that Baltimore and Baltimore County are two different places. (THE WIRE!)

Or that there are two places called Kansas City, but the bigger one is actually in Missouri.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's really just one city, though. It just happens to straddle the border of two states.

And it fooled Donald Trump who praised the wrong state for winning the SuperBowl.  

So long ago!  He's moved on to say there were riots last week in 'Minneanapolis' (sic)  

Quick thoughts on some of the potential names floating around. My personal opinion is that the York 9 FC name is just fine, not a major issue, and that there shouldn't probably be a rebrand unless there's a compelling reason to do so. 

York United FC: This is very likely McNab's preference. Goes with the Unite York campaign, name rolls off nicely, United is obviously (too) recognizable, and allows the club to market to North York and York more broadly. Seems generic though, and the Man U connotation will throw some people off, and the CPL branding idiots are opposed to any clubs called United. Also sounds too similar to York University, which is both positive and negative. Pro, in that the club plays there; con, in that it sounds like a university team. 

York Region FC: Seems to be the one name that most fans like or don't mind. Obviously continues to play on marketing towards the Regional Municipality of York, or the York Region. Pretty unique name within the world of football/sports. Not as much of a favourite for McNab likely, since he's looking to market beyond the York Region. However, I don't think CPL fans in Toronto will be much turned off by the name, since the more important thing is that the stadium is easy to get to, via subway to York U, or an easy drive a bit off the 401 or 40.

York FC: Seems kinda boring and too succinct for me. Doesn't really have a nice ring to it, seems way too generic. There must be a ton of York's around the world. Plus, York at its essence as of now is the former municipality centered around Dufferin and Eglinton. Though you'd think anybody who lives there would tell you they live at Dufferin and Eg, not at York. Or Mount Dennis or Weston. Never heard anybody say they live in York. Seems like it's far too open-ended to really market properly, too vague. 

York County FC: The one name I've always thought would be kinda cool, though sounds archaic initially, so likely not a fave for marketing people. Seems to be a fave on twitter as well among V's. County clubs are well-known in England, such as Derby County and Notts County. The old York County in the 1700s used to encompass all of the GTA, while it existed until as recently as 1951, when it still included both the City of Toronto and the York Region. Sounds like the exact target audience. 

I'm not saying the new executive is not a smart guy or wont do good things. I dont know that region very well so I could be wrong but to me he seems to be approaching things like he's still dealing with an American market. I dont hate United or Athletic or whatever but it has to make sense. I dont think you need to dumb things down for the Canadian footie fans like you would in his previous position in Colorado. I think that's where I read he came from. I hope the logic isn't the American marketing strategy of "come on down to the "pitch" with you and your family and pretend to be soccer fans for the day. Cheer on United!" Isn't York a traditional Italian area of Toronto? You might not want to come across as cheesy 

Edited by SpursFlu

The "9" in York has to go for the sole purpose that it makes no sense for North York and most casuals here won't get it. North York is too big to be ignored as a potential market to draw upon, same for the York Borough in Toronto which is west of Bathurst to Jane and south of Lawrence Avenue West to St.Clair Avenue West which are all connected by the same subway line.

Selling "York9" identity/concept to York (Toronto) & North York is a bad idea and  what's the point investing knowing that they'll move eventually to Vaughan?

Keeping it open is the best way to go forward and see what happens. If it's North York having the strongest support for the team than York Region, then exploring Downsview Park would make more sense than Vaughan.

Cornering themselves in York Region this early wasn't the right move. Think about the Toronto medias, why would they cover a team that's representing York Region temporarily playing in Toronto? No wonder the Toronto-based Rugby teams got more exposure. You play in Toronto, just use YORK in an inclusive way, which used to be Toronto's old name. Play both side of the fence...I mean that's marketing 101.

Whoever came out with York 9 was trying to be too clever for their own good...Can't do that in Toronto

16 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

....York United FC: This is very likely McNab's preference. Goes with the Unite York campaign, name rolls off nicely, United is obviously (too) recognizable, and allows the club to market to North York and York more broadly. Seems generic though, and the Man U connotation will throw some people off, and the CPL branding idiots are opposed to any clubs called United. Also sounds too similar to York University, which is both positive and negative. Pro, in that the club plays there; con, in that it sounds like a university team...

Suspect a switch to Toronto will also be on the agenda, if the York Region stadium is no longer likely to happen. York Region branding is more likely to be off-putting to potential fans that could arrive by TTC subway than fans that would drive in from York Region, which is still very much part of the GTA and identifies with Toronto teams in other leagues and sports.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Suspect a switch to Toronto will also be on the agenda, if the York Region stadium is no longer likely to happen. York Region branding is more likely to be off-putting to potential fans that could arrive by TTC subway than fans that would drive in from York Region, which is still very much part of the GTA and identifies with Toronto teams in other leagues and sports.

I think the plan is to still find real estate in Vaughan. It just wont happen in the next couple of years or more. I like York FC or United which makes more sense. Has anyone got a call from someone in the front office about the name switch?