York9 - Season Thread 2020

I'm going to give my controversial Y9 take that I've never said before, just so people can jump on me on this topic instead ;)

My take is, there is no freaking way Morey Doner should have won Y9 PotY. That's got to be some online vote that his friends and family must have helped out.

Yes, Doner was a very very solid defensive player, one of the best defenders and tacklers we have for sure, he made his flank an island vs wingers at times. Doner Island.

But offensively, he was one of the worst among the starters we had. People seem to remember that one rocket volley he had, and he got a few assists off regular ass crosses, any fullback should get at least a couple.

But his technique, his dribbling, his crossing, etc, I've been watching Y9 replays offseason, about to watch another one tonight, and in my mind, there is zero way Doner should have won Y9 PotY.

I'd have given it to Luca or Ingham. They definitely had their share of errors mid-season, but overall, you could tell those two were the reason why our defense was so rock solid all year long. A shout to Telfer for his obvious super-talent, and Abzi for his overall skills.

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

I'm going to give my controversial Y9 take that I've never said before, just so people can jump on me on this topic instead ;)

My take is, there is no freaking way Morey Doner should have won Y9 PotY. That's got to be some online vote that his friends and family must have helped out.

Yes, Doner was a very very solid defensive player, one of the best defenders and tacklers we have for sure, he made his flank an island vs wingers at times. Doner Island.

But offensively, he was one of the worst among the starters we had. People seem to remember that one rocket volley he had, and he got a few assists off regular ass crosses, any fullback should get at least a couple.

But his technique, his dribbling, his crossing, etc, I've been watching Y9 replays offseason, about to watch another one tonight, and in my mind, there is zero way Doner should have won Y9 PotY.

I'd have given it to Luca or Ingham. They definitely had their share of errors mid-season, but overall, you could tell those two were the reason why our defense was so rock solid all year long. A shout to Telfer for his obvious super-talent, and Abzi for his overall skills.

Telfer was the mvp imo. Maybe the montreal game is too fresh in my mind to give it to ingham or luca.

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Telfer was the mvp imo. Maybe the montreal game is too fresh in my mind to give it to ingham or luca.

Ingham would have got my vote.  I'm excited about the squad thats been put together for this season. Excited, but still many question marks, signings with good pedigree, but how good they are, who knows. I'm eager to see how Y9 start the season!

3 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Considering his path to pro, I think Doner deserves a lot of respect in terms of his determination to make a career for himself. He's taken his chances and has been solid in his position. Before the season, I really doubted whether he'd even start a game.

But you're probably right, I'd give PoTY to Ingham or Telfer.

His actual offensive production might have been overshadowed but his wonder goal. He's also had some lapse in concentration and poor positioning at times defensively. That said, it's really his first pro season, so I do think even at 25, there is space to grow. And with his attitude, I have a lot of confidence at his ability to improve.

Was there funny business with the POTY voting? I don’t know. He could’ve had the entire population of Collingwood voting for him. He was the only Y9 player to make the CPL best IX. 

Telfer was player of the year IMO. I could see not wanting to name you POTY as someone on loan from TFC though. 
Gasparotto and Ingham round out the podium. Abzi and Doner honourable mentions for me. 

Prediction for 2020 POTY is Ugarriza. 

47 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

I hope it is established early that Petrasso is taking our PK's.  Can't speak to any of the new guys but Petrasso has proven that he'll score from the spot.  Can't afford to have all those missed penalties again. 

Ya last year was pathetic how many penalties they missed. 

I wonder when the first preseason game is. 

CPL clubs are required to have at least three Canadian players aged 21 or under on their roster, and to give at least 1,000 total minutes of playing time to that young talent in each season.

i think abzi counts he's 21. Maybe it's the age by the start of the season not birth year. Judging by the other younger players on the roster abzi must count cause I can't see the others playing much at all. 

23 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

CPL clubs are required to have at least three Canadian players aged 21 or under on their roster, and to give at least 1,000 total minutes of playing time to that young talent in each season.

i think abzi counts he's 21. Maybe it's the age by the start of the season not birth year. Judging by the other younger players on the roster abzi must count cause I can't see the others playing much at all. 

Been thinking this too.  Maybe we've been reading the rule wrong this whole time.

It's going to be killer for Y9 to get to the 1000 minute mark if Abzi doesn't count and I can't see them making a team as they have without knowing definitively that he does.  The draft picks haven't been officially signed either. 

Karajovanovic has to battle with Vasconcelos, Ugarriza, Jaco, Hamilton for minutes.  Ferrari with Manny, Di Chiara, Murofushi, Mannella, Estevez, Porter in midfield.  Johnston probably has the easiest path to minutes if he were to relieve Doner at RB but that is a lot to ask from a 17 year old coming in that much for Doner. 

Abzi has to be included in that rule.