York9 - Season Thread 2020

That's unfortunate but realistically if he wasn't in the country already he wasn't likely to be available this season anyway.  We don't know what we would be missing out on especially in a shortened training camp and season with a player in a new country with a new club.

23 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

That's unfortunate but realistically if he wasn't in the country already he wasn't likely to be available this season anyway.  We don't know what we would be missing out on especially in a shortened training camp and season with a player in a new country with a new club.

I think others will be released too. Jaco, Hamilton, Lopez. Jaco could stay on loan. I bet other teams release players too. 

I agree in theory.  Ugarizza's deal was described as an option multi-year deal, the others were only described as multi year deals.

If the players can find a place to play in their own country it seems like Y9 would work with them to stay there.  I don't think either party is interested in having the players not take the field for an entire season. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Why is Marshall here but not Hamilton? 

According to the Gleaner article Cavalier's technical director said Hamilton is just waiting for his work permit, which might be another two or three weeks.

37 minutes ago, Zem said:

According to the Gleaner article Cavalier's technical director said Hamilton is just waiting for his work permit, which might be another two or three weeks.

Three weeks plus two weeks quarantine might be a problem. 

But even without Jaco and ugarizza our depth up front is better than last year. 

Petrasso, vasconcelos and Telfer start with Hamilton, Rivero and Porter as backups plus the young kids like Max and ilijah. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

How will the six players under20 get playing time? Should definitely have a league 1 team.

There is no need for Y9 to have a L1O team.  Many of the L1O players live in southern Ontario and have the CPL as their only real option to make the jump.  Y9 being close to home for so many give them the inside track to sign the players from L1O they want.

There is no L1O season this year so any minutes they get are more than they would've got this season had Y9 not signed them.

Playing time for them won't be an issue this season.  If the CPL does take the field this season it will be with such a condensed schedule there won't be any choice but to ensure there is a healthy squad rotation.

Last year Jimmy kept the same XI match in match out unless there was injury, international absence, or someone's poor form deemed a change necessary.  It will be interesting to see how Jimmy sets the lineup and tactics each week keeping a healthy rotation of players. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Real shame they seem to have lost 3 of the most exciting foreign signings. This season is what it is, if it is, though. Greater time for Canadians to develop can't be a bad thing. 

To me Vasconselos was the most exciting signing followed by Ugarizza and Hamilton. 

I think Hamilton will still make it here this year.

Lopez will be with the team next year and it sounded like the door was still open for Ugarizza in the future. 

Rivera and Jaco seem to be the same level or prospect.