York9 - Season Thread 2020

I think the CPL is going to be a diamond in the rough for some of those smaller European leagues/clubs.  Clubs can get players of a decent caliber that has shown what they can do in a professional environment that is hungry to achieve more at a nominal fee.  The current operating cost of the CPL will mean that clubs will be taking those kinds of fees all day.  

Altobelli seems like another signing from TFC's U19 USSDA side, the one that used to play in L1O for awhile.

Managed by Dichio, and teammates with Halley, cool stuff. Honestly though, it'd have been nice to see some signings or loans in from TFCII as well. Boskovic for example may turn out to be a great loan in for Calgary.

http://tfc.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=12105880

Edited by ironcub14

With respect to Estevez, all anybody here in this thread has to do is look at Stouffvillain's proposed depth chart for Y9's 2020 season to see how much the Y9 fans generally rate Estevez. Something like the 6th choice in the front 3 going in.

You'd think that it'd have to be like a top 10 player in the league that may get a shot in the Dutch D1. I think most Y9 fans would be hard-pressed to put Estevez in their top 10 for Y9 last season. I liked him as an option off the bench that did well in his minutes with his dribbling and shooting, but I thought he was quite raw tactically and decision-making. At least that is an aspect that can most definitely be coached.

A friend did note that ADO Den Haag is owned by a Chinese company, and for sure, owners will be friendly for sure, similar to Wu Lei at Espanyol for example, which is all cool, more opportunities for more players. I think a lot of Y9 and CPL players will take positives from this move, thinking, if Estevez can make a big move like this, they can too for sure, which is the long-term goal for most of the CPL players.

23 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Altobelli seems like another signing from TFC's U19 USSDA side, the one that used to play in L1O for awhile.

Managed by Dichio, and teammates with Halley, cool stuff. Honestly though, it'd have been nice to see some signings or loans in from TFCII as well. Boskovic for example may turn out to be a great loan in for Calgary.

http://tfc.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=12105880

Anybody know are there any other players from that U17 World Cup in Brazil that Canada played in that signed with CPL clubs. Does not look like Altobelli was a favorite of the U17’s coach, looks like Altobelli only came off the bench in just one game of the three Canada played at the U17 World Cup in Brazil in 2019. He came on off the bench in the 83rd. moment in just one of the three games Canada played. Hopefully he will show that coach he was a player that should have played more at that World Cup.

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Anybody know are there any other players from that U17 World Cup in Brazil that Canada played in that signed with CPL clubs. Does not look like Altobelli was a favorite of the U17’s coach, looks like Altobelli only came off the bench in just one game of the three Canada played at the U17 World Cup in Brazil in 2019. He came on off the bench in the 83rd. moment in just one of the three games Canada played. Hopefully he will show that coach he was a player that should have played more at that World Cup.

I think Pepple from Cavalry was one of the last cuts.  Not CPL, but Jayden Nelson did sign with TFC this winter (which I am sure you are aware).  I'm actually surprised that more of the young MLS Academy players aren't signing in CPL.  Although, with the 2 Y9 signings and Pacific grabbing a couple Whitecap academy players last year, maybe a trend is emerging?

43 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

With respect to Estevez, all anybody here in this thread has to do is look at Stouffvillain's proposed depth chart for Y9's 2020 season to see how much the Y9 fans generally rate Estevez. Something like the 6th choice in the front 3 going in.

You'd think that it'd have to be like a top 10 player in the league that may get a shot in the Dutch D1. I think most Y9 fans would be hard-pressed to put Estevez in their top 10 for Y9 last season. I liked him as an option off the bench that did well in his minutes with his dribbling and shooting, but I thought he was quite raw tactically and decision-making. At least that is an aspect that can most definitely be coached.

A friend did note that ADO Den Haag is owned by a Chinese company, and for sure, owners will be friendly for sure, similar to Wu Lei at Espanyol for example, which is all cool, more opportunities for more players. I think a lot of Y9 and CPL players will take positives from this move, thinking, if Estevez can make a big move like this, they can too for sure, which is the long-term goal for most of the CPL players.

This move is absolutely related to his status as a national team player for Taiwan.  There is no other logical explanation for the fact that a player who only started 5 matches in CPL would go to ADO Den Haag while Borges went to Belgian D2.

Estevez was not a player who stood out for doing the simple things ala Waterman either.  In matches I watched he reminded me a lot of past Canadian players like Aleman or Boakai as guys who had a lot of flair but often played their way into trouble in doing so.  Borges was this way too last I saw him in 2017 but he was a new player in 2019.  

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This move is absolutely related to his status as a national team player for Taiwan.  There is no other logical explanation for the fact that a player who only started 5 matches in CPL would go to ADO Den Haag while Borges went to Belgian D2.

Estevez was not a player who stood out for doing the simple things ala Waterman either.  In matches I watched he reminded me a lot of past Canadian players like Aleman or Boakai as guys who had a lot of flair but often played their way into trouble in doing so.  Borges was this way too last I saw him in 2017 but he was a new player in 2019.  

That’s a great way of explaining certain players. Moreover, after so many years of being around the game as a fan and a youth club coach how many times I’ve seen players who had great skill great flair but just were not effective enough in an actual game. Players who looked great on the ball but so many times during a game play their way into trouble. It’s funny Osorio seemed to be like that at first when I first saw him play at TFC but eventually improved his game so much that playing himself into trouble almost rarely happened and he is the player he is today . A great example of a player with so much skill but so many times played himself into trouble was the American who showed so much promise in his younger years Adu , who just could not eventually cut it as a pro and a high level because of this.

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Are any players currently on York9 even good enough to earn a call up for Canada's national team?

You could ask that question about any club in the league.  If the national team is filled out with CPLers at this point in time than Canada is in a world of pain on the international front.  The only reason any CPLer can earn a national team call up is if he plays in a position where the national team lacks depth or if it is a young/experimental squad that is called in.   That is why Carducci, Didic, Borges and Zator fit in last season.  Specifically within Y9 I would say Gasparotto is in the conversation for that last spot if it is going to a CPLer.  I'd say Abzi can work his way into consideration as well and if he continues to grow and move onto a higher level of play could be someone you see in the national team regularly.

Edited by Stouffvillain

29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Nice piece of business by York9. Based on the new player they signed profile, maybe not tomorrow but they might have upgraded by signing Altobelli. Nice to see CPL scoop players from MLS teams

More so surprises me that CPL is scooping players away from MLS teams but that could be a good thing I don't know but interesting

It's quite possible that Altobelli had reached the point where he was simply no longer in TFC's plans in terms of getting a pro contract. There are lots of castoffs from the three MLS teams in CanPL. One of the reasons that CanPL doesn't need to do expensive academies is that the three MLS ones are churning out way more would be pro players than will ever get anywhere near an MLS roster.

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's quite possible that Altobelli had reached the point where he was simply no longer in TFC's plans in terms of getting a pro contract. There are lots of castoffs from the three MLS teams in CanPL. One of the reasons that CanPL doesn't need to do expensive academies is that the three MLS ones are churning out way more would be pro players than will ever get anywhere near an MLS roster.

At least he can make himself into a bigger star by playing in the CPL

Obviously the Estevez move is great for him, Y9, and CPL, what an obvious thing to say lol. What's funny is how twitter and other social media was abuzz with "I saw him play once or twice on 1S, guy was super talented."

That's fine for twitter and etc but I like the Vs/CSN forums so that we can have a proper discussion about our club and our league and our players, with people who've watched the games closely and really know what was up with Y9 all year. Some good comparisons above to guys like Boakai or Adu, it's good that we can celebrate the huge accomplishment and wish him all the luck in the world, while also being realistic and trying to be as knowledgeable as possible about the situation in full. Who really knows how the move came about in the end.

I hope Estevez learns and keeps developing. Probably the biggest thing that was noticeable was sometimes he'd hold onto the ball bit too long rather than play the simple pass or give and go, but that's something that's definitely coachable for sure.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

At 17 I'm not sure players should be reaching the point that they're not in anyone's plan. I'm sure it just reached the point that TFC was no longer in Altobelli's plans