York9 - Season Thread 2020

51 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I didn't watch many York9 matches last season, but when I did, Estevez was never a standout. I find this surprising.

National team games will tend to get a player noticed more than an obscure league in North America that's stuck behind a onesoccer paywall. Estevez would have been my guess if an Asian league had been involved given he played for Taiwan (or Chinese Taipei officially in FIFA terms?).

Like Waterman to the Impact what scouts are looking for is not necessarily the most eye-catching running around like a headless chicken and putting in mental slide tackles stuff that excites the fans, but doing all the basics right in a way that shows the player could handle a higher level of play. Most CanPL players are already at their glass ceiling but there will be a few diamonds in the rough that will get a shot at something higher like this.

Edit: helps that he has a Spanish EU passport apparently.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

National team games will tend to get a player noticed more than an obscure league in North America that's stuck behind a onesoccer paywall. Estevez would have been my guess if an Asian league had been involved given he played for Taiwan (or Chinese Taipei officially in FIFA terms?).

As long there is video, nowadays, there are a number of companies that offer video combined with analytics scouting packs. Behind a paywall or not doesn't matter. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Like Waterman to the Impact what scouts are looking for is not necessarily the most eye-catching running around like a headless chicken and putting in mental slide tackles stuff that excites the fans, but doing all the basics right in a way that shows the player could handle a higher level of play. Most CanPL players are already at their glass ceiling but there will be a few diamonds in the rough that will get a shot at something higher like this.

Edit: helps that he has a Spanish EU passport apparently.

This club seems kinda excited to sign a Canadian lol

15 minutes ago, red card said:

As long there is video, nowadays, there are a number of companies that offer video combined with analytics scouting packs. Behind a paywall or not doesn't matter. 

The more scouting eyeballs on a game the better for a player's prospects of being noticed. Doing well in World Cup qualifiers for Taiwan appears to be what got Estevez on overseas club's radar. Check out what Angus McNab says in the CanPL website story. Not saying CanPL is a complete dead zone that way but any kind of paywall is going to limit the level of exposure provided compared to a national team appearance, so he was right to jump all over that opportunity.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

This club seems kinda excited to sign a Canadian 

Don't underestimate how thankful the Dutch still are for what we did in WW2. The anniversary for liberation was last week and as a Dutch Canadian it still shows up on my Facebook from family and friends. With Forge trying to play a Dutch style, I could see some of their players moving over there.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Don't underestimate how thankful the Dutch still are for what we did in WW2...

What's surprising is that this isn't like John Limniatis being signed by Aris Thessaloniki from the Ottawa Intrepid back in the late 80s where it was a case of returning to the country of birth (partly why I thought Amer Didic was a contender) or like Tristan Borges returning to much the same part of Europe where he was at youth level.

A reasonably big European club did this with no trial on the basis of games scouted playing for Taiwan and York 9. Looking for more of a soccer type rationale maybe the success of Dutch players from a Moluccan background like Michael Mols and Giovanni van Bronckhorst in the Eredivisie over the years makes Dutch clubs more open to looking to Asian national teams for new recruits than would be the case in some other European countries?

Was going to post I suspect the club made it easy for Den Haag to take a punt on Estevez.  Expect there'll be some money for York written into performance markers as well.  Know Estevez got a bit of a raise as soon as he changed jerseys. 

Hard not to call this a win all around.  For the league, for the club and for the player.  

https://www.newmarkettoday.ca/amp/national-sports/york-9-fc-sells-midfielder-emilio-estevez-tsai-to-dutch-club-ado-den-haag-2343699?__twitter_impression=true

...A source, not authorized to speak publicly given the transfer fee was not made public, said the sale was in the $100,000 range and could net York 9 more with add-ons and a sell-on clause...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot