York9 - Season Thread 2020

On 5/15/2020 at 1:18 PM, ironcub14 said:

20. Cox - ST - Mysterious injury problems and absences on away trips. Fans could use more disclosure on injuries.

21. Rollocks - LW, ST - Good pace, but dribbling and decision-making needs work. Got chances early season.

Rollocks was disappointing he has the pace to cause problems but didn't produce with the chances he got.  Early in the season he was given plenty of opportunities with no return.  Later in the year Ricci was called upon instead, hard to argue with giving someone else a shot.  

Not sure we ever got any info on Cox, we could've used him.  If it wasn't an injury it may be personal, is he friends with Zambazis?  

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:02 PM, yothat2 said:

Does anyone know what happened with Cox? Injured ?

Would have thought he would light the CPL on fire considering he's scored around 25 professional goals .. been a pro since he was 17 ..

We saw Yorky more often than Cox at times. Maybe he was the man behind the mask lol.

To be serious, I thought it was notable how Cox especially seemed to miss the away games quite often. And for sure, fans were definitely expecting something from him considering his pedigree and local status. Didn't even show up on injury reports often, though they were so scant. League and club should definitely be giving us better updates. 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 10:34 AM, Stouffvillain said:

In my re-watch thus far I'm seeing things a little bit differently on both of these guys. 

I was initially high on Adjei then turned to where he could do nothing right and re-watching I think he just didn't fit what Y9 was trying to do.  Adjei often got the ball with his back to goal or in a wider position, he doesn't have the ball skills or quickness to get around defenders.  He had a quick release to shoot when facing the goal but rarely got the ball in a position to shoot.  

On the other hand I was high on Gogarty.  I agree with you on him being a good defensive depth option but I can see why other clubs haven't been quick to scoop him up.  He did make his fair share of mistakes that directly led to quality chances to the opposition, not everyone has an Ingham between the sticks. 

For me, I did want to rate Adjei higher if I could, because I thought he turned it up in the end season. His touches got better, his hold-up play got better, he scored some nice goals.

Gogarty, his weaknesses became really noticeable when he was filling in for Abzi, I want to say around July or August or something. We went on a poor run in the first two months of the Fall season, and it was definitely a part of it for sure. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Ijah could become a part of the CanMNT in the future but as far as him producing for York9 I just hope that he does have a really, great season. If he does manage that, then I can see Herdman giving him a look possibly in the future.

What happened to that Zambazis kid , he wasn’t a regular but did start a few games and was getting some playing time and I thought he played ok when he played and was one of the younger players on the roster, then all of a sudden he was released by the middle of the season , still think there must be more to this story very strange .

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

What happened to that Zambazis kid , he wasn’t a regular but did start a few games and was getting some playing time and I thought he played ok when he played and was one of the younger players on the roster, then all of a sudden he was released by the middle of the season , still think there must be more to this story very strange .

Yes it was a strange departure, it seems he made the choice to leave  and never resurfaced.    Excellent article from Northern Tribune: https://northerntribune.ca/emmanuel-zambazis-york9-fc/

When people are looking to curb spending and looking for ways to help this jersey and face mask initiatives by Y9 are a great idea.  People buy and wearing your brand when they do go out and also builds relationships with the community.  These were the kinds of things that we just didn't see last year.  

10 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

New signing will be announced tomorrow. I'm guessing a domestic striker with Hamilton Jaco and ugarizza stuck outside of Canada. 

That's interesting. If players are under contract but they are unable to get into the country to train/play if the season kicks off will there be exceptions made?