York9 - Season Thread 2020

Compiled this position chart real quick on the Y9 Discord a couple days ago, thought I'd post it here, the tactical discussion here is much better lol. Total guesses from me below. Not interested in debating a depth chart, or who is better than who, so I've put it alphabetical. Far more interested in debating where are the holes in the roster, if any.

I'd argue that our last 23rd player, our international slots are obviously full, and we definitely need all the U21s, but it'd also be ideal if it was a lefty that could compete at the LB spot or the RW spot, the inverted winger role that Telfer and Gattas filled so well for us last season, the Messi/Salah/Mahrez role to make it dead obvious the style of play I'm talking about. Not the playing level lol. I do know Mutambala has been heavily linked, I know he's a righty inverted winger at Ottawa, a LW.

And of course, Mannella is more likely to play CDM than CB, but it does seem we have a lack of CBs and a surplus of CMs, so just to balance it out for now. And I personally think Murofushi is the better LCM and Aparicio the better CDM, as Wataru is our best kill passer, and Aparicio is such a great tackler and leader, but they played the other positions all of 2019.

GK: Ingham Vance

RB: Doner Halley

RCB: Gasparatto Mannella

LCB: Arnone Thompson

LB: Abzi Segawa

CDM: Lopez Murofushi

RCM: Di Chiara Ferrari

LCM: Aparicio Porter

RW: Estevez Petrasso

ST: Jaco Ugarriza

LW: Hamilton Vasconcelos (Mutambala?)

Edited by ironcub14

The way the roster has been constructed I don't think that you can throw a depth chart together the way you did above.  Though I do think the next signing needs to be a U21 Canadian. (did we ever get clarification as to whether Abzi counts as a U21 this season?)

Looking at the way that last season ended and the way that this off-season has gone I think you can say a few things with certainty. Jimmy will set out with four at the back and not try to play the wing back system he tried last year (the roster will allow for an effective 3-5-2 but I don't think it has been built to play that way all year).  The attack and midfield will be more fluid, which is why I wouldn't worry about fitting guys into a strict depth chart.

Mannella is going to be our starting CM, he'll move back to CB to fill in if there are injuries but outside of that I think he's first choice. Manny is the captain and I'm not in the locker room but I don't think that has changed.  Your captain isn't sitting on the bench so that is two of the three midfield positions spoken for on most days.  The last spot I think will depend on the situation.  With all things healthy and we're playing at home I think you see Murofushi, going to Calgary trying to get limit their attack maybe Di Chiara.  I haven't seen Lopez to have him as first choice in the midfield over players I know.  

Disclaimer: Up front I'm going off of Transfermarkt and highlight videos as I haven't seen them all. 

The forwards are going to be moving around quite a bit.  Ugarriza and Vasconcelos can play all across the front if needed.  Petrasso can play on either side and Hamilton certainly has the pace to cause trouble for defenders anywhere across the front. 

20 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

The way the roster has been constructed I don't think that you can throw a depth chart together the way you did above.  Though I do think the next signing needs to be a U21 Canadian. (did we ever get clarification as to whether Abzi counts as a U21 this season?)

Looking at the way that last season ended and the way that this off-season has gone I think you can say a few things with certainty. Jimmy will set out with four at the back and not try to play the wing back system he tried last year (the roster will allow for an effective 3-5-2 but I don't think it has been built to play that way all year).  The attack and midfield will be more fluid, which is why I wouldn't worry about fitting guys into a strict depth chart.

Mannella is going to be our starting CM, he'll move back to CB to fill in if there are injuries but outside of that I think he's first choice. Manny is the captain and I'm not in the locker room but I don't think that has changed.  Your captain isn't sitting on the bench so that is two of the three midfield positions spoken for on most days.  The last spot I think will depend on the situation.  With all things healthy and we're playing at home I think you see Murofushi, going to Calgary trying to get limit their attack maybe Di Chiara.  I haven't seen Lopez to have him as first choice in the midfield over players I know.  

Disclaimer: Up front I'm going off of Transfermarkt and highlight videos as I haven't seen them all. 

The forwards are going to be moving around quite a bit.  Ugarriza and Vasconcelos can play all across the front if needed.  Petrasso can play on either side and Hamilton certainly has the pace to cause trouble for defenders anywhere across the front. 

Hey, like I said, I didn't post a depth chart, I posted a position chart. I put the players alphabetically for a reason, specifically because I don't want to debate who is better and who is not. We have little idea about the new players, who is better than who and all that, until preseason games and some regular season matches.

Obviously, we need the majority of the starting XI as Canadians, and we have our returning players that we can judge. But a debate about who is better between our returning CMs vs Mannella vs Lopez to me is all hypotheticals. Same for all our forwards, though we can obviously guess somewhat based on their career so far. But our 2019 season alone should give us a good idea that preconceptions and previous club history can be probably misleading.

My position chart, I've simply put where each players' likely spots are, and I quickly mentioned I put Mannella at CB for a reason. Gives me a pretty good idea of how the roster has been constructed, more on a broader scale looking at the whole team, rather than debating who's going to start in which spot. I'm finding it useful for sure. The biggest takeaway for me? We need more lefties.

18 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Hey, like I said, I didn't post a depth chart, I posted a position chart. I put the players alphabetically for a reason, specifically because I don't want to debate who is better and who is not. We have little idea about the new players, who is better than who and all that, until preseason games and some regular season matches.

Obviously, we need the majority of the starting XI as Canadians, and we have our returning players that we can judge. But a debate about who is better between our returning CMs vs Mannella vs Lopez to me is all hypotheticals. Same for all our forwards, though we can obviously guess somewhat based on their career so far. But our 2019 season alone should give us a good idea that preconceptions and previous club history can be probably misleading.

My position chart, I've simply put where each players' likely spots are, and I quickly mentioned I put Mannella at CB for a reason. Gives me a pretty good idea of how the roster has been constructed, more on a broader scale looking at the whole team, rather than debating who's going to start in which spot. I'm finding it useful for sure. The biggest takeaway for me? We need more lefties.

Ok but then the list you've made is not complete as players would then cover multiple positions.  One of the off-seasons key signings is listed only under CB and not under his natural position.  Figuring out the formation and plugging players names in where they can play is a better way to do the same exercise, even if you don't want to call it a depth chart. 

Y9-433.PNG

Y9-433(2).PNG

25 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Ok but then the list you've made is not complete as players would then cover multiple positions.  One of the off-seasons key signings is listed only under CB and not under his natural position.  Figuring out the formation and plugging players names in where they can play is a better way to do the same exercise, even if you don't want to call it a depth chart. 

Y9-433.PNG

Y9-433(2).PNG

Hahaha I love it, I hope that Jimmy has a replica of this on his whiteboard right this moment at this office haha, good stuff. I obviously didn't want to go that hardcore, I thought mine was already hardcore enough, but this is that final level boss good stuff. No particular debate or anything with you on your chart, I like that you've got Murofushi at LCM.

My one slightly controversial take is one I posted in my OP, that I think Aparicio would actually make the best CDM among our usual 3 starters last years in him, JDC, and Wataru. I think JDC was actually a pretty damn good RCM, and a mediocre CDM, as he seemed much more comfortable box-to-box than as the controller of the middle with the ball.

But anyways, great stuff, I'll digest your chart over lunch lol.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It seems York9 are stocking up on talent but I have to wonder if Fugo would even be looked at by his national team of Japan, especially because of the fact that he's choosing to play here in Canada for York9

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

It seems York9 are stocking up on talent but I have to wonder if Fugo would even be looked at by his national team of Japan, especially because of the fact that he's choosing to play here in Canada for York9

Having talented players on the bench to push the starters is the way to be.  Wouldn't be surprised if signing Segawa was done with an eye to the near future.  Another year like last or better from Abzi and I could see him moving elsewhere.  Especially with the CPL playing during the European off-season, Segawa would step right in should a mid-season transfer occur.