Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Senorpopps

Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, ray said:

Nice logo.  Along the lines of early artwork that was posted.

Webpost-Unveiling-Ottawa-730x423.jpg

Not a bear or beaver in sight 😀

Not a fan of the name.

But this logo is worse, looks like it was put together last minute in ms paint.. it probably was considering how late this team was announced LOL. 

I've definitely seen a better mock up with the Atletico branding.. wish I could find it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Love it

BD239B55-170A-4306-863C-B518D91ADEDA.jpeg

I don't like it. Looks like something the CPL head office might have come up with to serve as a placeholder until a real crest was made. It doesn't look like much consideration went into the design. The silhouette of the Parliament building is the lone "Ottawa" component, and it's low-hanging fruit. It has a very clipart feel to it. 

The beaver crest on Page 2 of this thread was tongue-in-cheek and made just for fun, but honestly it looks like more time and effort went into the beaver crest than this thing.

Swing and a miss, Atletico...

Edited by dmont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dmont said:

I don't like it. Looks like something the CPL head office might have come up with to serve as a placeholder until a real crest was made. It doesn't look like much consideration went into the design. The silhouette of the Parliament building is the lone "Ottawa" component, and it's low-hanging fruit. It has a very clipart feel to it. 

The beaver crest on Page 2 of this thread was tongue-in-cheek and made just for fun, but honestly it looks like more time and effort went into the beaver crest than this thing.

Swing and a miss, Atletico...

The most iconic building and arguably image in the city is hardly low hanging fruit. It’s imagery hat almost any resident, regardless of language or culture, can relate to.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The most iconic building and arguably image in the city is hardly low hanging fruit. It’s imagery  that almost any resident, regardless of language or culture, can relate to.

I agree but they could have added something else as well IMO.  A (classy) soccer ball would have been nice so that people know what sport this is.  If I didn't know any better I would think it's a Spanish athletic club for Ottawa residents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree but they could have added something else as well IMO.  A (classy) soccer ball would have been nice so that people know what sport this is.  If I didn't know any better I would think it's a Spanish athletic club for Ottawa residents.

Apologies but I’m adamantly against any logo with a soccer ball in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lofty said:

"Still to be determined is whether or not Ottawa will participate in the 2020 Canadian Championship, and if so, how the tournament will be restructured to accommodate the new CPL side."

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-officially-unveils-atletico-ottawa-as-pro-soccer-returns-to-nations-capital

 

Of course the CSA should allow AO to participate. How hard can it be? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know the draw was doctored to make it more regional. I'm in favour of letting them in.

I keep beating this dead horse: but I think they should just have Ottawa play Blainville in a new 'Preliminary' round. With the winner taking on HFX. Everything else can stay the same.

Edited by narduch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I keep beating this dead horse: but I think they should just have Ottawa play Blainville in a new 'Preliminary' round. With the winner taking on HFX.

That's the simplest approach. Though having them play Calgary, who are otherwise getting a bye, has little impact, and doesn't effect the scheduling.

My favourite approach is having Ottawa play Hamilton and Calgary play Winnipeg.

I certainly don't see any need to redo the entire "draw". And given no matches have been announced yet, I don't think most people would notice ... (other than Blainville and/or Calgary). Could cut down on travel for Hamilton and Winnipeg as well.

Edited by nfitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think that the logo is about what I expected. It’s not the most original thing ever, but considering that this club is owned by a European club, I’m not surprised that their crest would be inspired by their ‘parent’ club’s. I also think that the logo looks pretty decent overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He said he did not have the English level to do a press conference. 

If he was at TFC for two years, you are saying he did not understand anything of what was going on?

Its not really an issue for me, as I assume he is willing to get better at it.

Just pointing out what I heard. Didn't catch his entire portion of the press conference as I had to work....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The most iconic building and arguably image in the city is hardly low hanging fruit. It’s imagery hat almost any resident, regardless of language or culture, can relate to.

You make my case for me. Low-hanging fruit means a task that can be accomplished with little effort. Coming up with the parliament building to tick the "ottawa content" box probably took about a minute of thought. It's obvious and easy.

When it comes to the symbolism is a crest, I prefer subtlety. The nine stripes of York 9 means something, but you have to dig a little deeper in order to understand it. Same with Edmontons rabbit or Halifax's star fort. The Redblacks have leaned on Ottawas logging history for their identity.

This crest is the answer to the question: "The Ottawa press conference is in 10 minutes, what kind of crest can you come up with in 9 minutes?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, narduch said:

Its not really an issue for me, as I assume he is willing to get better at it.

Just pointing out what I heard. Didn't catch his entire portion of the press conference as I had to work....

Only that you didn't "hear" he did not speak English, since he said, in English, he felt he did not have the level to handle a press conference. Give him a break, he only got out of his Rayo Vallecano contract on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only that you didn't "hear" he did not speak English, since he said, in English, he felt he did not have the level to handle a press conference. Give him a break, he only got out of his Rayo Vallecano contract on Sunday.

I'm totally on board with his hiring.

He appears to have put in the work: ie: he coached youth and is now taking his shot at the professional level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dmont said:

You make my case for me. Low-hanging fruit means a task that can be accomplished with little effort. Coming up with the parliament building to tick the "ottawa content" box probably took about a minute of thought. It's obvious and easy.

When it comes to the symbolism is a crest, I prefer subtlety. The nine stripes of York 9 means something, but you have to dig a little deeper in order to understand it. Same with Edmontons rabbit or Halifax's star fort. The Redblacks have leaned on Ottawas logging history for their identity.

This crest is the answer to the question: "The Ottawa press conference is in 10 minutes, what kind of crest can you come up with in 9 minutes?"

The problem is not the Parliament Building, people are missing the point. The real graphic problem is that what you should do is to a graphic (visual) version of that tower which would be recognizable, and not try to put anything close to an accurate skyline. That is poorly done. 

Basically, this logo is fine at the bottom, the tower is okay as is the flag (though for me should be bigger). They should just have run a clean curve below and done a recognizable abstraction of the Parliament building tower.

You see they did not present the shirt, as Macron needed more time. The scarf with the black or very dark tone, was quite nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, narduch said:

I'm totally on board with his hiring.

He appears to have put in the work: ie: he coached youth and is now taking his shot at the professional level.

He's coached u-19 in Spain at a high level, his team at Valencia played Youth League in Europe. Since Atlético does not have a third pro side, and the B team is at a high level, those u-19s who cannot make that step up to the Bs but they want to keep in their system could go to the Ottawa team.

So that is basically u-20 age, just out of top level of Spanish u-19. If the B team promotes to the Spanish 2nd division (it is in third tier now), then that makes it even harder to bring up the kids and they may even accelarate the loans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that i'm surprised, but remember how quick TSN was to make headline news of the Fury folding?  Go to their website and not a word about the new Ottawa team, and its ownership by Atletico Madrid.  MLS website also quiet about it (they too headlined the Fury folding).  Credit to Sportsnet who did cover the story with the same relevance as the Fury demise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dmont said:

You make my case for me. Low-hanging fruit means a task that can be accomplished with little effort. Coming up with the parliament building to tick the "ottawa content" box probably took about a minute of thought. It's obvious and easy.

When it comes to the symbolism is a crest, I prefer subtlety. The nine stripes of York 9 means something, but you have to dig a little deeper in order to understand it. Same with Edmontons rabbit or Halifax's star fort. The Redblacks have leaned on Ottawas logging history for their identity.

This crest is the answer to the question: "The Ottawa press conference is in 10 minutes, what kind of crest can you come up with in 9 minutes?"

You seem to think that the amount time spent on a design is reflective of the quality, I don't. My only concern is that it is aesthetically appealing, which this is, and whether it conveys the club's message, which for me it does.

Simple as that. Obviously these types of things are subjective so to each their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, grande said:

Anyone else feel the logo looks very... American?

The red stripes on the shield just screams USA to me.

My thoughts exactly.

Blue with red and white stripes? This is supposed to be a team from the capital of Canada, you would never have known based on the colours and stripes.

Yes yes, I know with the Madrid deal it was kind of restricted, but still, yeesh.

It looks rushed in general. And what's with the empty white space? Bah, I think it's the worst logo in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, narduch said:

We all know the draw was doctored to make it more regional. I'm in favour of letting them in.

I keep beating this dead horse: but I think they should just have Ottawa play Blainville in a new 'Preliminary' round. With the winner taking on HFX. Everything else can stay the same.

I am in agreement with letting them in. There is more than enough time to make a couple of adjustments. Instead of having them take on Blainville, who have been in the competition for the last couple of years, let them take on Master's Futbol, with the winner taking on York 9. We get a potential early CPL Ontario battle in the cup, but also it would be the battle of the newest clubs in the competition. That's my two sense on the matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...