Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

15 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

While some have said this is back to de Guzman, others have denied it and point out that it says "North America" not "Canada" which suggests a potential MLS connection. The best guess so far, in my opinion, is recently fired Chicago Fire coach and former Atletico Madrid player Veljko Paunovic (credit goes to whoever [TFC]langilleski is on the CPL discord)

12 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

While some have said this is back to de Guzman, others have denied it and point out that it says "North America" not "Canada" which suggests a potential MLS connection. The best guess so far, in my opinion, is recently fired Chicago Fire coach and former Atletico Madrid player Veljko Paunovic (credit goes to whoever [TFC]langilleski is on the CPL discord)

I just came on to guess the exact same name, Paunovic, I just said it in response to that tweet. Good thinking. He happens to have won a world u-21 championship with Serbia, so for youth he is expert, he knows the NA market and mindset, and is very close to At Madrid having played there, where he was greatly admired. 

He was released by Fire last November.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just came on to guess the exact same name, Paunovic, I just said it in response to that tweet. Good thinking. He happens to have won a world u-21 championship with Serbia, so for youth he is expert, he knows the NA market and mindset, and is very close to At Madrid having played there, where he was greatly admired. 

He was released by Fire last November.

I don't have an opinion on him because I don't know enough about his career. What are your thoughts? Would he be a good hire?

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don't have an opinion on him because I don't know enough about his career. What are your thoughts? Would he be a good hire?

Reading around, things seem mixed. Did well youth coaching but only had one good season with the Fire (Schweinsteiger's first). Still, doesn't mean he'll be bad for the CPL, the player development focus of the league might make him a good fit

I'm going with Paunovic as well, saw it on r/CanPL as well. I'm assuming Floro's name has already come up in this thread, yes? :)

Somebody guessed David Villa and I had to smile, because I couldn't easily think of a no to the possibility lol. Never mind, I forgot about the Queens USL investment lol. 

Edited by ironcub14

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

big failure in chicago..got four full seasons and couldnt come up with anything interesting

Finished 3rd overall in the 2017 standings.. with that club in this era you have to say that's pretty decent.

His resume seems to suggest he could do a lot better so this would be a great signing if true.

Edited by CanadaFan123

4 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I'm going with Paunovic as well, saw it on r/CanPL as well. I'm assuming Floro's name has already come up in this thread, yes? :)

Somebody guessed David Villa and I had to smile, because I couldn't easily think of a no to the possibility lol. 

David Villa would be a good guess as well.  Now that he's retired Ottawa would be a great place for a young family.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

David Villa would be a good guess as well.  Now that he's retired Ottawa would be a great place for a young family.

Oh yeah for sure, but you probably missed my edit, I just remembered he has a big thing going on with USL in Queens. Would've been cool though for sure. 

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

If it is Mista, then that is disappointing compared to Paunovic. I also find it odd they'd hire a guy coaching youth in the Real Madrid system. Has this been confirmed?

Paunovic would be outstanding. I know he did not shine in Chicago, but MLS is not a normal system, you are not always awarded for your talent on the bench. He took Serbia to the u-20 WC, and if you saw that team or that tournament, you could see a real quality coach. 

He was also a really great player, a sort of dynamic attacking mid, smart on the ball, with all that football savvy and winning mindset the Balkans players typically show. Mista had his talent, his flashes, probably did not get to his full potential. I have no idea if he has any coaching ability.

I think Paunovic would have asked for more than they could pay, I am editing my post thinking about this. While MIsta, first time out, may be able to accept 150k Canadian.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

theres no way it would be paunovic with a salary cap in this league as he just coached mls and his salary demands would be too high..if he stays in north america its probably for usl championship or to wait for an opportunity in mls and go in a bad situation like wilmer and try to turn it around..except cabrera at least won a cup in his three seasons in houston

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If it is Mista, then that is disappointing compared to Paunovic. I also find it odd they'd hire a guy coaching youth in the Real Madrid system. Has this been confirmed?

It's pretty damn close to confirmed - there was an article in the Spanish press 3 days ago that hinted at it.

I don't know much anything about him as a coach, but it does appear he's in FM2020?

Edited by Viruk42