Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

5 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Hell, after the crap he spouted last year, he should fear the taunting of supporters when playing at home. 

JDG is not a hated figure in Ottawa because until recently, most Fury fans in Ottawa had never heard of the CPL.  Personally, I have nothing against the guy (or at least he’s still in a credit position)

Edited by JamboAl

Was remembering these days that in Spain the Ottawa Fury actually have been on TV, for a very specific reason, and that this may have helped their name recognition in forging the At Ottawa deal.

Canal+ showed the 2015 Soccer Bowl vs. Cosmos, not codified, as it was Raul's last professional match. I recall watching it, of course rooting for Fury.  While of course Raul is a Real Madrid legend, he did start at At Madrid and perhaps this little detail had not been forgotten by the Atlético FO: he was tearing up the u-16s and then the current CEO Gil Marín's father, Jesús Gil, disbanded their youth academy in a stupid, shortsighted move and Raúl moved to Real. 

40 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was remembering these days that in Spain the Ottawa Fury actually have been on TV, for a very specific reason, and that this may have helped their name recognition in forging the At Ottawa deal.

Canal+ showed the 2015 Soccer Bowl vs. Cosmos, not codified, as it was Raul's last professional match. I recall watching it, of course rooting for Fury.  While of course Raul is a Real Madrid legend, he did start at At Madrid and perhaps this little detail had not been forgotten by the Atlético FO: he was tearing up the u-16s and then the current CEO Gil Marín's father, Jesús Gil, disbanded their youth academy in a stupid, shortsighted move and Raúl moved to Real. 

Remember watching that match, interesting they showed it on TV over there. The high point year of NASL 2.0 in 2015 with Raul and the high point year of the Ottawa Fury as well.

I sure hope they'll provide a bit more than just the name and crest (already known) and colors (Let me guess, red and white). At least the head coach and a couple of signed players to give the fans something concrete. I mean it's just a couple of weeks before preseason starts and the'll have to start from scratch. Same goes for selling ticks...

7 minutes ago, top cheese said:

They must have some sort of core already “signed” for this season. Weather it’s ex fury players or 6 internationals from Spain. Hard to believe the season is three months away and there’s no work done on this part

Most likely they’ve already signed a lot of players. I’d bet they’ll reveal the info at a time chosen to maximiza exposure and marketing value. Maybe not even all at once. 

7 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

For it to be relevant to Ottawa, should have been a groundhog

In the Wiki entry on the Ottawa coat of arms, the SUPPORTERS are described as:

"Dexter a timber trimmer of the date 1850 holding in the exterior hand a trimming axe head downwards and on the sinister an officer of the Civil Service Rifle Regiment all proper"

There's quite a bit to work with there.