Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is a group that Celtic could possibly get out of. It's not every season you can say that. Good draw for them and Johnston. 

I agree, but they still face long odds.  I mean they're up against the runners-up in La Liga and Serie A from last year.

(Ed: Whoops, I guess Atletico was actually 3rd.)

Edited by GasPed

6 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I agree, but they still face long odds.  I mean they're up against the runners-up in La Liga and Serie A from last year.

(Ed: Whoops, I guess Atletico was actually 3rd.)

Yeah on paper they are probably have 3rd strongest at best. It always seems that way though. Some years they are a clear 4th when the draw comes out and then it often plays out that way.

Atletico never got out last season against Porto and Brugge, now they are group favorites again so let's see if things are different this time. 

Celtic have also started the season poorly, so I wouldn't bet on them to get out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Also came here to say how exciting it is for him to play Champions League for the first time. 

Regarding those saying their group is accessible or they could make third, Goal today rated them the weakest of the 32 teams. Not sure I agree (surely Barça rival Royal Antwerp is weaker, for example, or Copenhagen), but still not very optimistic.

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/champions-league-2023-24-power-rankings/blt3ac63471089224b7#cs5a38178fd85adec5

I also don't agree with them putting Barça 2nd after bombing out two years straight in the group stage.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also came here to say how exciting it is for him to play Champions League for the first time. 

Regarding those saying their group is accessible or they could make third, Goal today rated them the weakest of the 32 teams. Not sure I agree (surely Barça rival Royal Antwerp is weaker, for example, or Copenhagen), but still not very optimistic.

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/champions-league-2023-24-power-rankings/blt3ac63471089224b7#cs5a38178fd85adec5

I also don't agree with them putting Barça 2nd after bombing out two years straight in the group stage.

Do these links work for anyone? I always get redirected to Sporting News' homepage from Goal links.

I'd be curious who they have ranked below Celtic. I don't think they're likely to exit the group, but they have a favourable group to expand on last year's 2 point performance in the group stage.

Excited to see how AJ lines up against Feyenoord. He's stepped up to the challenge at any level he's played, this will be a good test for him. Most excited for Celtic against Lazio though.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Do these links work for anyone? I always get redirected to Sporting News' homepage from Goal links.

I'd be curious who they have ranked below Celtic. I don't think they're likely to exit the group, but they have a favourable group to expand on last year's 2 point performance in the group stage.

Excited to see how AJ lines up against Feyenoord. He's stepped up to the challenge at any level he's played, this will be a good test for him. Most excited for Celtic against Lazio though.

Celtic are ranked 32nd, last of all CL teams. Surprising isn't it?

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Celtic are ranked 32nd, last of all CL teams. Surprising isn't it?

I misred that and somehow saw they were third worst. No clue how that happened. 

That is weird. Royal Antwerp won the Belgian league by a single point and that was only because of their weird playoff system- they actually finished 3rd. They scored 69 goals last year vs Genk’s 88, Gent’s 81- even Brugge outwcored them. Not a dominant championship by any stretch of the imagination. Copenhagen of course, but also Red Star- they’re shockingly 3rd in the league right now, have lost two of their last three against teams that are not Partizan (or Topola). I mean, those are things that would have Celtic sack their entire coaching staff. 

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Same for me.  Goal.com links always seem to take you straight to the landing page.  I assume its either a geolocalisation thing or they just don't want people going straight to articles.  Same happens when a suggested article shows up on Google for example.  This started a few years ago.  It used to be a great soccer site, got sold and the quality reduced quite a bit.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Same for me.  Goal.com links always seem to take you straight to the landing page.  I assume its either a geolocalisation thing or they just don't want people going straight to articles.  Same happens when a suggested article shows up on Google for example.  This started a few years ago.  It used to be a great soccer site, got sold and the quality reduced quite a bit.

Ive stopped using goal because I cant find the articles I want. Have you found a solution?

If my memory serves, I'm pretty sure the deal with Goal.com in Canada is a copyright/naming issue, similar to Burger King/Hungry Jack's in Australia. So they've made a proxy site for Canadian visitors, but it's an afterthought at best (at least for football content) and there isn't a 1:1 match in articles, so if an article doesn't exist on the Canadian site, visitors are just redirected back to the home page. As someone who works in tech, the fact that they don't have a proper rebranded mirror site set up for Canadians is lazy and pathetic. Fuck that site.

Edited by frmr

20 minutes ago, frmr said:

If my memory serves, I'm pretty sure the deal with Goal.com in Canada is a copyright/naming issue, similar to Burger King/Hungry Jack's in Australia. So they've made a proxy site for Canadian visitors, but it's an afterthought at best (at least for football content) and there isn't a 1:1 match in articles, so if an article doesn't exist on the Canadian site, visitors are just redirected back to the home page. As someone who works in tech, the fact that they don't have a proper rebranded mirror site set up for Canadians is lazy and pathetic. Fuck that site.

As someone with first-hand knowledge of the situation, you've described it pretty well.

AFAIK, the Goal app works just fine in Canada since the issue is centered on the URL (which obviously doesn't exist on an app). However, it's been a few years since I've had it on my phone.

EDIT: The funny thing is that Sporting News, which is a much older organization than Goal.com, now produces its own soccer content and is no longer under the same corporate umbrella as Goal, at least not fully.

So that redirect solution that was hastily imposed in 2016? It's just a leftover from a time when Goal was producing all soccer content for Sporting News that no one bothered to fix.

Edited by RS

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Goal is fine in Europe. I often get taken to the Latin American edition, but you can switch to English. Not that I particularly like it. They rarely say anything new.