Match Thread : CONCACAF League : Forge FC v CD Olimpia, August 22, 2019 - Round of 16 - 1st Leg

Can't believe more goals weren't scored.  Thought Smyrniotis was a little cheap with the subs towards the end.

Could have gone either way but Olimpia can't feel too hard done by.  For all the possesion I felt Forge had most of the best opportunities.  A little more good fortune here, a little less bad luck there and Forge could have coasted through the 2nd half to see out the tie in Honduras. 

I would surrender corners to Olimpia all day long.  They were pretty bad tonight.  Not Valour (Val-yoor?) bad, but bad.  And I don't exactly think highly of Forge's defending either but, yeah, knock yourself out kid. 

Congrats!  Toughest part of the test is in front of you.  Good luck.

Congrats to Forge. The CPL flag was flown well. A well fought and hard earned victory.

Baring in mind how many players Olimpia had missing they will need one hell of a performance on the road to get through. There were so many silly errors and sloppy moments of possession. If they can cut that out and find a way to nick and away goal who knows. 

What a season for the CPL either way! 

I went to the game and it felt like almost constant pressure from somewhere around the 15th or 20th minute on. Very happy for the result, but I felt like that could have been a 6-1 or 6-2 loss. Haven't seen replays, but there were so many balls whipped across the face of Forge's goal. I'm not sure how close they were to actually being tapped in, but it had me very, very worried every time.

The PK stop was massive! It was really important to not give up an away goal.

P.S. Olimpia played very physical and it seemed to me the ref let a lot more go for them than he did for us. It didn't seem like it was because of flopping, just that somehow they were entitled to crash into the back of our guys while we couldn't do the same. And is it just me or should those dangerous plays where a Forge boot got close to an Olimpia head have gone the other way. Both times the Honduran had his head at about waist height, so I think the foul should be against him.

Edgar was great. Him and Krutzen could make a quietly impressive CB pairing going forward. Was generally impressed with the team defending. While Olimpia May have had possession, they certainly didn’t have too many good scoring chances. Henry was great as well. Honestly the whole back line was. 

Bekker carried the the load in the midfield and was itching for a goal. I think he could’ve used some help. I’d want Cisse/Achinotti to replace Kwame/Frano in the second leg.

Definitely Nanco’s best start. In other matches it’s looked like pace is his only attribute. But today he was much more patient and had good decision making in the final third. Borges had a quiet game and Novak seemed gassed.

30 minutes ago, Kent said:

I went to the game and it felt like almost constant pressure from somewhere around the 15th or 20th minute on. Very happy for the result, but I felt like that could have been a 6-1 or 6-2 loss. Haven't seen replays, but there were so many balls whipped across the face of Forge's goal. I'm not sure how close they were to actually being tapped in, but it had me very, very worried every time.

The PK stop was massive! It was really important to not give up an away goal.

P.S. Olimpia played very physical and it seemed to me the ref let a lot more go for them than he did for us. It didn't seem like it was because of flopping, just that somehow they were entitled to crash into the back of our guys while we couldn't do the same. And is it just me or should those dangerous plays where a Forge boot got close to an Olimpia head have gone the other way. Both times the Honduran had his head at about waist height, so I think the foul should be against him.

It was a lot more phyical than I expected, but I didnt see as much of the usual concacaf BS.  Maybe if they were nursing a lead we would have seen it.  But on TV it did seem pretty fair. Did you catch when an Olimia player made a questionable challenge at midfield and Samuels absolutely levelled him with a shoulder "budge".  Samuels played a whale of a game, it was him that was keeping feet off those low crosses through the box.  

Just home from the match, it was very entertaining to watch, Olympia are a very good side and I expect we will struggle to get the result we need, after the goal and Bekker hitting the bar it was mostly one way traffic and we look tactically naive, we had some really good individual performances to hold this team off the scoreboard, the CB's and Henry were great! It was a great night of football in The Hammer, I appreciate all of the positive comments from posters in other CPL cities, this is a good result for all of us!

Note to Premier Ford, anyone in Ontario needing a heart stress test should have been given a ticket to that game. While Forge certainly had their chances, I don't know how many times a ball went sailing through our goal area and we expected an Olimpia player to be there and just tap it in. Funny to see the highlights and not see the Olimpia shot that dribbled just outside the post. It was NOT a relaxing game to be at.

I thought Frano was an early player of the match for Forge, until he gave up the penalty. He was breaking up so many plays through midfield. And about that penalty, so happy the ref didn't have it replayed for Henry's movement from the line. Nowak (I've decided to spell it with a "w" even though I pronounce it as"v") did look gassed as the game went on but you can't expect a centre forward to be the only one pressing and not run out of steam.

I recorded the game on TSN but only watched a little bit when we got home. Not impressed with having a US feed. Nice temperature of 78 at kickoff, but I thought being at the game a while back when it was 37 was oppressive. And, did you know, Forge's gk Henry is from Ontario. And the half-time show is about rivalry between Toronto FC and Montreal Impact with no Forge-Olimpia match discussion. Maybe I should just be happy that the match was televised.

It will be interesting to see how Bobby sets us up for the away leg, I see no chance of keeping a clean sheet for 90 minutes down there, if we score once they will have to score 3 to advance though, I think an away goal could happen, as badly as Forge were outplayed for long periods of time there really could have been another goal for the home side! Certainly playing behind closed doors will help, I'm just not real confident playing against this talented side who will be reinforced with players who didn't travel! Cavalry will be paying a visit to The Hammer Sunday in what is obviously a very important league match, our depth will be put to the test!