Match Thread : CONCACAF League : Forge FC v CD Olimpia, August 22, 2019 - Round of 16 - 1st Leg

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

I thought I'd have a hard time getting behind Forge in this one, as I find them the least likable outfit in the league, but a few minutes of a white-shirted Honduran side flopping around and I was up for it. I thought Edgar did well in exactly the sort of match he was signed to play.

You'd think anyone associated with Valour would be used to being 'behind Forge' at this point in the season 😉

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Nothing official so far that I can find but around 4800 was announced in the stadium apparently based on what has been posted in other threads.

It was definitely announced as less than 5k. I had in mind it was more like 4300 or so, but I could have misheard or remembered incorrectly.

I'm quite sure it was announced at around 4800, obviously we were hoping for more but this is all new to many, lots of fans I spoke with truly weren't all that well versed on this competition, the crowd was very enthusiastic and thanks to Henry's penalty save and some good fortune the many blue and white clad fans had no chance to cheer! I'm willing to bet our crowd tops what they draw in Honduras!😀

4 hours ago, gator said:

I'm quite sure it was announced at around 4800, obviously we were hoping for more but this is all new to many, lots of fans I spoke with truly weren't all that well versed on this competition, the crowd was very enthusiastic and thanks to Henry's penalty save and some good fortune the many blue and white clad fans had no chance to cheer! I'm willing to bet our crowd tops what they draw in Honduras!😀

I'd not been to a Forge game before. The energy of the crowd was very impressive - in stark contrast to the York FC game I got to last weekend. With the lower west stand quite full, the crowd felt bigger than it probably was! I'd certainly be there regularly if I lived in Hamilton - a bit of a trek from Toronto on GO, but perhaps I'll get back if they make the quarter-finals (which looks to be against one of the two remaining Guatemalan teams).

it was a great game to watch ... though Bekker was giving me deja-vous.

So, if Hamilton makes the Champions League (which is quite possible, with 6 of the current 16 teams going through), where are they going to play in February? Is Tim Horton's usable when it's that cold?

Edited by nfitz

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

I'd not been to a Forge game before. The energy of the crowd was very impressive - in stark contrast to the York FC game I got to last weekend. With the lower west stand quite full, the crowd felt bigger than it probably was! I'd certainly be there regularly if I lived in Hamilton - a bit of a trek from Toronto on GO, but perhaps I'll get back if they make the quarter-finals (which looks to be against one of the two remaining Guatemalan teams).

it was a great game to watch ... though Bekker was giving me deja-vous.

So, if Hamilton makes the Champions League (which is quite possible, with 6 of the current 16 teams going through), where are they going to play in February? Is Tim Horton's usable when it's that cold?

I'm glad you traveled to see it, it was very entertaining, as for THF in the winter, I do believe they rent the field to groups in the winter, they used to at Ivor Wynne, I'm not sure if the facilities are there to open a stand, a long ways to go before we consider it!

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If Toronto can host CL why couldn't Hamilton. Bring your mittens amigos

Under pitch heating, and winterized plumbing (recall that it wasn't for the first 2-3 years, and they had all that damage one late-March game).

But it's the bathrooms that are key, and if they are already renting it out in the winter, then it must be designed for that.

Personally, I'm quite happy if we didn't play at BMO in February again ... I'm okay to sit in shirt-sleeves at Skydome - but no one wants to pony up for the conversion costs these days.

Edited by nfitz

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Return leg will also be live on TSN2 next Thursday at 10pm ET

That's unfortunate, that channel costs extra beyond TSN1/3/4/5. When they weren't airing it all, I could watch the TSN stream. Now it will be blocked.

23 hours ago, narduch said:

This is really impressive and I think  shows how overlooked many of these players are, a team plays 10 Canadians, 7 of whom weren't deemed good enough to play pro last season and gets a result against a higher rated Central American powerhouse!

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/did-it-with-10-canadians-forge-building-unique-continental-culture

6 hours ago, RS said:

The second leg is on TSN2's schedule, right after the 8pm ET MLS match between the Impact and Whitecaps.

Should make for a nice little evening of midweek Canadian club soccer.

The MLS match is on Wednesday though