Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

What a bummer.  I remember losing 8-1 was spiritually draining but I never felt rage and anger like this during that.  Didn't help I had $20 on them to win before the game.

It's a weird moment here, dream draw in the QF's against a much lower ranked team and we blow a 2-0 lead.  I can't think of any comparable in the 10+ years I've been interested in CanSoc.

I understand the Morgan substitution, but Herdman definitely hung himself out to dry by doing it.  I kind of admire him for that, and not simply saying, Oh let's put another Striker up there.

Anyway, onto the CPL this summer.

The Ashtone Morgan sub was the ultimate irony.  Here we have a team that is being touted as the best ever and an improvement on past cycles.  Plus, a coach that isn’t absurdly defensive and makes thoughtful lineup choices.

10 minutes left, we need a goal.  We bring in a left back who couldn’t even break into any of those previous squads or his MLS team.  So, so crazy and as @zeelaw said I kind of admire the balls but the chances of it paying off were so slim.  Even if we equalized, unless Morgan scored or assisted, people would still question it. 

Kind of just the cherry on top of a “you’ve come nowhere” feeling match.  If you told me Morgan would be in the Canada squd, let alone coming in with us needing a goal in 2019, I’d say you were nuts.

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The Ashtone Morgan sub was the ultimate irony.  Here we have a team that is being touted as the best ever and an improvement on past cycles.  Plus, a coach that isn’t absurdly defensive and makes thoughtful lineup choices.

10 minutes left, we need a goal.  We bring in a left back who couldn’t even break into any of those previous squads or his MLS team.  So, so crazy and as @zeelaw said I kind of admire the balls but the chances of it paying off were so slim.  Even if we equalized, unless Morgan scored or assisted, people would still question it. 

Kind of just the cherry on top of a “you’ve come nowhere” feeling match.  If you told me Morgan would be in the Canada squd, let alone coming in with us needing a goal in 2019, I’d say you were nuts.

I think Morgan can defend though...his problem is that he doesn't offer enough going forward (although I think he's improved). Freeing up Davies from his defensive duties wasn't a bad idea and I'm in no mood to defend Herdman. 

I sometimes think that the coaching staff got too hung up getting all of their best players on the field instead of ensuring we had people playing the correct positions.  They wanted David, Cavalini, Hoilett, and Davies all playing, which means some one is going to be playing out of position.  If you want to play with a true LB and play with wingers/1 striker, then 1 of those guys has to get dropped to the bench.

33 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I suspect in the future if we can get one of tomori or Ferreira to commit and possibly, develop another one or two than I suspect we might move to a 3-5-2 which would cover for a weakness in fullbacks and allow Davies to play left wing back and get David, Cavallini and/or Larin up front  

ok, but playing guys used to playing two in the back in a 3 man back, is just as bad as playing a winger as fullback.  Its still out of position.  Not the same role at all.

We should also at least try to field Hoilett, he's still only 29.  I'm leaning towards a 4-4-2 in order to get our best in their natural positions out there:

-------- David - Cavallini
Davies - Arfield - Kaye - Hoilett
Cordova - Henry - Tomori - ZBG

33 minutes ago, An Observer said:

15 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I sometimes think that the coaching staff got too hung up getting all of their best players on the field instead of ensuring we had people playing the correct positions.  They wanted David, Cavalini, Hoilett, and Davies all playing, which means some one is going to be playing out of position.  If you want to play with a true LB and play with wingers/1 striker, then 1 of those guys has to get dropped to the bench.

Not to defend Herdman but I've seen higher pedigree international managers struggle with this issue, to their demise. 

Edited by BearcatSA

On 6/28/2019 at 8:01 PM, apbsmith said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/gold-cup-quarterfinal-vs-haiti-exciting-affair-david-canada/

Preview ^ 

Also Tim & Sid briefly talked about the game tomorrow on their show. Sid said he be would absolutely triggered and heated if we lost and would go on a huge rant. Tim suggested Haiti was good no... being 3-0 and upset Costa Rica?.. Sid said I don't care we need to win. 

I like Sid, hope we do it and make the Semi's first time in 12 years.

Did this ever happen?  I feel like wallowing in bitterness and self pity. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Did this ever happen?  I feel like wallowing in bitterness and self pity. 

He tweeted about it.... Let me find the tweet. I was wondering the same thing if he did... Have not been able to watch the show all week, and they seem more focused on the Raptors, Leonard re-signing saga.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sid_Seixeiro/status/1145162120037851141

10 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

He tweeted about it.... Let me find the tweet. I was wondering the same thing if he did... Have not been able to watch the show all week, and they seem more focused on the Raptors, Leonard re-signing saga.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sid_Seixeiro/status/1145162120037851141

Pretty mild. I know he gets on some people’s nerves but I would have enjoyed watching him lose his shit over this one and tearing into the coaching decisions we have rehashed. 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Pretty mild. I know he gets on some people’s nerves but I would have enjoyed watching him lose his **** over this one and tearing into the coaching decisions we have rehashed. 

I agree, that was mild, considering his statement on Friday before the game if we lost, and the circumstances on how we lost.

Opinions about the guy aside, he has 100k+ followers on twitter, and my understanding is twitter isn't even big anymore.

I wonder if he is waiting for the end of the Gold Cup final and/or post Leonard story to end. I'm sure someone will or OZ's twitter will let us know if he does.

Edited by apbsmith
*on twitter

An interesting note is that Haiti recently has been dealing with massive civil un rest because nobody can figure out where the 50 billion dollars worth of international aid went following the earthquake. Ironically one report I saw complained that lots of funds went to soccer related programs and infrastructure. They're football team seems to also be benefiting from a large ex pat community that has emerged following the disaster..  strange how the world works

At least half of the current squad was either born, raised or trained in France, The United States & Canada.  With many have roots through their parents & grandparents.  The same can be seen for many Caribbean countries such as Curacao, Martinique & even Montserrat.  We have seen a large increase in quality in some of these nations, as mainly European based players have answered the calls of their ancestral homeland.

Even Guadeloupe had a hell of run a few years back.  Current players Anthony Martial, Kingsley Coman & Thomas Lemar all have Guadeloupe roots.  Former greats, Pascal Chimbonda, William Gallas, Thierry Henry, Sylvan Wiltord, Louis Saha, Mikael Sylvestre & Lilian Thuram are Guadeloupe born or descent as well.

We've seen it with Guyana as well as many American & Canadian raised players have committed in recent years.

Point is, many of these current Caribbean Nations have many European/North American based/trained players that are improving the quality of these programs.  Training in England, France & Netherlands for 15 to 20 years vs training in Curacao, Martinique etc. will show.

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2019 at 1:16 PM, An Observer said:

I suspect in the future if we can get one of tomori or Ferreira to commit and possibly, develop another one or two than I suspect we might move to a 3-5-2 which would cover for a weakness in fullbacks and allow Davies to play left wing back and get David, Cavallini and/or Larin up front  

You basically nailed this prediction 2 years ago well done..... If you are a sidekick sir do you think Tomori is the next to commit?! 😬

Edited by canadasoccer20

11 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Revenge is beautiful. Hard to believe this was less then two years ago. Complete dominance.

WHich game were u watching? I was shitting bricks! I thought if we won 1-0, FIFA would find a way to F$ck us with a wink wink CDN keeper basically kicking it in his own net.  My sphincter didnt unclench until everyone was calling for Cavallini and Larin saved the day on cue.  

On 6/26/2019 at 10:33 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@CanadaFan123 I'm calling it now:

ZBG & David to each score an own-goal.

Jems Geffrard & Mikaël Cantave to each score an own-goal.

The game will be tied 2-2. Then Placide will get injured, Haiti will then sub on Josué Duverger who will then proceed to throw the ball into his own net, allowing Canada to win 3-2.

Yay!

Only a few years late on this prophecy.