Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

51 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I am 23. I have watched failures from 2010 qualifying on. I thought today would be the start of something new. I was 12 when I started watching failures. 

I don’t blame anyone but I accept we we will always hurt me.

I feel for you Fullback.  At least I got to see 86, the wave in Mexico, support the original Fury in WPG, cheer on Bunbury, Forrest, Radz, Pesch, Stalteri and DeVos, win some coin tosses and the gold cup.  But this one really was a kick in the nuts.  8-1 was bad, but i half expected it to go bad.  Maybe I got sucked into the TED talk baloney, but I thought we had a shot at doing ok in the semis, maybe if a break went our way etc.  Never dreamed they would implode against Haiti.   But we had the talent to beat them, and the wheels completely fell off.  Where was all the culture change and the impecable preparation.  We have several really good offensive players, and that is about all that separates this cup from many others through the years.  I guess you can cling to that...Davies, David, they'll still be around for 3-4 more kicks at the can.  

1 hour ago, Fullback said:

I am 23. I have watched failures from 2010 qualifying on. I thought today would be the start of something new. I was 12 when I started watching failures. 

I don’t blame anyone but I accept we we will always hurt me.

12 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Well, that was not at all how I thought my first Voyageurs viewing party in Toronto would go.

Not deterred though as a new CanMNT fan. I'll be at BMO for the 2 Nations League home matches, so hopefully we see some improvement to our back line between now and then.

Well, stick with it and about once every 25 years you're rewarded with something great.  And everything in between is....that. 

Haiti's team was actually slightly younger than ours as youngest of the tournament.

Just sped through the second half on VAR, it's like Haiti scored on every opportunity they had......two of which were gift-wrapped to them mind you which always helps. The margins are fine though when you get to this level, two horrible mistakes like that can sink any team. Borjan's contribution to this is disappointing because you can't blame his contribution to that first goal down to youth and it's the second time this year he's done it. No more back passes to him please unless it's an emergency.

33 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope this team uses this to get angry and kick the crap out of the Americans in the Nations League. Don't feel sorry, get angry!

This. 

Glad we get an opportunity to play the US twice, but not thrilled we get Cuba again... tonight shows that this young team needs as much experience as they can get against decent Concacaf competition.

I guess better for something like this to happen now than during WCQ....But so gutted and disappointed right now.

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I don’t get how we don’t call a single proper left back why not call one over someone like okello. Even Brett Levis would have been better than no one like we had. I don’t know if De Jong has retired from the national team but when he becomes healthy again I hope he’s called.

We did, his name is Ashton Morgan, he should have started this match, he may not be a starter at TFC but he is vastly experienced and showed last season in the CCL he can play against tough opponents!

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

How many of you guys watched what Kristian Jack had to say at the end of the TSN telecast ? If you didn’t try and find his post game comments he made in the TSN studio after the game , he was spot on.

Is there a link for his comments? What did he say?

43 minutes ago, gator said:

We did, his name is Ashton Morgan, he should have started this match, he may not be a starter at TFC but he is vastly experienced and showed last season in the CCL he can play against tough opponents!

Completely forgot about him funnily enough considering the role he played today. I still think we should’ve had multiple options there that weren’t just makeshift left backs.

2 hours ago, jtpc said:

Well, that was not at all how I thought my first Voyageurs viewing party in Toronto would go.

Not deterred though as a new CanMNT fan. I'll be at BMO for the 2 Nations League home matches, so hopefully we see some improvement to our back line between now and then.

I would just like to point out that in the time I've been watching Canada I've put on 40 pounds and lost most of my hair.

There, see!  Something else to look forward besides Nations League. 

24 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Can someone TL;DW for me KJs comments on TSN? 

Kristian Jack on TSN after the match:

"It's the biggest capitulation in Canadian Mens Soccer history, without question. This program has had a long, long history of heartbreak and now we have another significant chapter that will be talked about for many years to come.  Up 2-0 and cruising, quite frankly, and they capitualted very, very poorly, giving away goals that were very preventable.  We've seen this from Milan Borjan already this year in Vancouver, in the CONCACAF Nations League qualifier, where you just want to put your foot through it.

You can't allow them (Haiti) to get back in it.  We said at half-time that we just needed to be professional and see the game through.  But once you gave them a sniff they were definitely back in the match.  You know, again, the weaknesses came to the four fullback areas.  Godinho had one eye for the ball, no thought about looking at the Haitian player what so ever, and as I said, it just got worse and worse from there.  Once the penalty went in I felt that there was a real frustration that took over the game.  We were almost shocked at 2-2, and then you could see the tide trending in the wrong direction.

Honduras 8-1, not that long ago in 2012.  The 2007 game against the United States (also had a Hutchinson goal called back for a narrow offside).  A long history of heartbreak.  This is right up there.  It's an absolute disaster for the program right now.

Kelsey B.: "...what is the long term affect of a loss like this...?  This is the first BIG setback that John Herdman's side has had..."

K. Jack: "And their first real test.  And they failed it.  And that's significant, because we've been waiting for them to be tested.  And it looked through forty-five minutes that this group of players were ready.  And you've got Alphonso Davies, Jonathon David;  there are so many things to like about this program.  And what we didn't want as a nation was to start having those self-inflicted wounds come up again.  Far too many of those wounds of the past have been there.  And now you look at this team, they're gonna have to deal with defeat.  As top level sportsman they will be aware of that.  But this has come FAR TOO EARLY.  Nobody on that field expected that today in their first real test and now the big discussion goes to one player.  Atiba Hutchinson, THE greatest player that we have ever produced in the Men's Program and he may have just walked off the field in a Canada shirt for the last time, and that is a real pity."

48 minutes ago, YEG Round Baller said:

After the 8-1 WCQ debacle, who would have thunk that we would now be complaining about our back line (justified, btw) while two Canadians top the tournament in scoring?

Chin up lads and lasses. Call up some natural defenders and give Herdman one more chance.

I am not yelling at you, just quote for asking:

Why didn't he call up more natural defender for this tournament? 

A qualified coach would never ever send Davies and Huchinson to back line. This is suicide. 

Why Herdman insist to use Godynho so stubborn even the deficiency was so obvious in last few games? He didn't even sub Godynho  after the penalty. 

One week ago, Coach HM for women's confused me. Now Coach Herdman did it again. 

I am not a professional, but I want some answers.

Edited by lamptern

Here’s the story that stands out for me: Milan Borjan is supposed to be a leader and completely destroyed his young defenders confidence.  Why?  I don’t know but it’s the second time this year he’s put us in a bad spot with a mistake.. luckily vs FG we recovered, today we couldn’t.

He had time to clear that back pass and for whatever reason tried to be fancy with it. To show up the Haitian and his young defender? I can’t think of a reason that ball wasn’t cleared and it’s the second time I’m saying that in 5 matches now.  Then he yells at the defender..

Piss poor leadership from our second most experienced player on the pitch.  We are a young team and a “leader” didn’t lead tonight and it mentally lead to us falling apart IMO. 

** notwithstanding the fact that Godinho shouldn’t have been a starter in this tournament anyway as I questioned pre-game.

Edited by CanadaFan123