Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

6 hours ago, admin said:

He also might have had a concussion from getting fully smashed in the head at the start of the game

Can you get concussions from watching games? I feel myself personally am currently in concussion protocol.

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, Christian B. said:

Good Lord what a choke job…..

Still as upset today as I was yesterday after the game. What a bad way to start the Canada day long weekend.

First of all can we please stop all those unnecessary back passes to Borjan? I know Mexico does it all the time. Well… we’re not Mexico if you haven’t noticed.

Everything was said about Cav being sub-off. What a dump decision by Herdman.

When we started saying that Canada was hiding its weapons in the first game against Mexico in prevision of the next game against them, I mean, are you kidding me? Do you think that Mexico will lose sleep over our strategy or over the players we may be hiding? Does Herdman think that he can outcoach Tata? Laughable. We saw ourselves too good too early.

Piette got a lot of criticism during the tournament. People were literally over him. While he was on the field, we scored 11 goals and gave none (Against weaker opponents yes and he made a huge mistake) but by reading the comments here you would think that he was the worst player in the Gold cup. You know what? I strongly believe that with him on the field yesterday, we win the game. We will never know for sure.

We have better individual talent than before, no doubt. We did progress. We are now better than some teams that were ranked higher than us. The problem is that we were also left behind by the same number of nations that were ranked lower before. At the end of the day we are probably at the same place in the Concacaf. Curacao and Haiti are trending up. Honduras down but they will come back, no worries.

I feel a lot less optimistic this morning about qualifying for Qatar. I’m expecting to come up short again. Not even sure that we will make the Hex if there is a Hex. I’ll be the first one to be happy if I’m wrong.

What a letdown. Some will say it’s an overreaction. My answer is that I’m following the national team since 1980. Being there, done that. I’ve seen this movie before.

Victor Montagliani wanted to have a octagon instead of hex. 

It would be beneficial for Canada. 

3 minutes ago, Ivan said:

How do we know Cordova is any better than Godinho or ZBG?  Anybody seen him play?

Thats part of the problem with lack of friendlies. Seen some highlights of him in chile top flight. Looks like a strong player. The best part is hes a natural fullback, not playing a winger or cdm at full back.  

I think it'll take Herdman a while to digest why his team lost this one.

The post-match comments from him were disappointing.

Yes, the team must learn from specific situations like long diagonal passes that put our fullback under pressure, but it was the panic after conceding that was the big issue. I am disappointed he didn't acknowledge that. 

His answer to the battle-hardened question was the most disappointing of all. He mentioned how Haiti has been together for a while, with nations league qualifying, but didn't we just go through the same process? 

Panic is the big word here. When we concede 1, then 2, why did we panic? 

I think deep down, we don't have the experience of clawing back to win. Until we do, we won't have confidence we can. How do we gain that experience? We need to play more high pressure games. Simple.

I am not sure how much meaningless friendlies will help, but at the very least we'd learn what it's like to scrap for wins if we play more games against the Colombia's or Chile's of the world. 

1 hour ago, Christian B. said:

You can say that we are better than Haiti. The facts are that we played them last night in a quarter final of our continental championship and they beat us in regulation and there was no bad call from the referee to rob us. They also beat Costa Rica last week which is no small feat. 

We beat ourselves. We were comfortably out playing them and made two boneheaded decisions to let them back in the game. 

Iceland beat the Netherlands in World Cup qualifying a little while back. Is Iceland better than the Netherlands? 

1 hour ago, red card said:

Haitians celebrating in both Haiti & New Jersey.

Guys cheer up Canada are World Champions in Basketball the whole country went crazy after the Raptors won the World Championship for Canada , all of Canada went crazy , over 2 million at the parade, take that Haiti!😂

42 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Does someone have links to other interviews other than Herdman's and Hutchinson's? 

According to one of the other articles I posted Osorio was the only other Canuck who spoke to the media, haven’t seen a video of it.

6 hours ago, Christian B. said:

Piette got a lot of criticism during the tournament. People were literally over him. While he was on the field, we scored 11 goals and gave none (Against weaker opponents yes and he made a huge mistake) but by reading the comments here you would think that he was the worst player in the Gold cup. You know what? I strongly believe that with him on the field yesterday, we win the game. We will never know for sure.

I mean 99% of the forum was begging for him to be subbed on at half last night..... 

9 hours ago, king1010 said:

Thats part of the problem with lack of friendlies. Seen some highlights of him in chile top flight. Looks like a strong player. The best part is hes a natural fullback, not playing a winger or cdm at full back.  

There’s a reason they call them highlights. I’m sure Tsubah endoh has a great highlight package too, doesn’t mean anything.

But I agree, more friendlies to see what these guys can actually do would be better

We need to be upset about this loss.  If we ever expect to be a CONCACAF powerhouse, then we need to have high expectations of our program.  Would love to see what a tactical coach such as OZ could do with the talent we have today.  But such is the life of a Canadian fan with the CSA the way they are.  For our two tests under Herdman, we are 0-2 but we have looked great against minnows.  On paper this is arguably the best Canada team we have ever put together which makes this tournament loss worse than any others.  In the new edition when the competition is more watered down we looked good against minnows only.  I will support Herdman as long as he coaches Canada but so far he is exactly what I expected.  I think he is out of his capabilities here with this program.  From his 23 man squad selection to his lineup choices to his substitutions to him talking about semi finals.  These decisions have all been a debacle in my opinion.  Tactical play, squad lineups and substitutions really don't mean anything against teams like Cuba because anyone of our players will dominate those teams.

1) We need to start playing players in their natural roles

2) We need some help defensively and we need to try some new defenders.  I'll beat the dead horse but Cordova, Adekugbe & James should have been selected.  I know there were rumours about fitness but both James & Adekugbe played with their clubs before Doneil Henry returned to game action against Mexico.  Did we really need Johnson & or Teibert when we have Arfield, Piette, Atiba, Kaye & Osorio that all play in center midfield.

3) We need more friendlies

As for the players, I am fairly happy with all of their overall performances this tournament.  This is just my opinion of how they all performed this tournament.

Borjan - Great shot stopper but clearly a lot of the fault on the 1st goal has to fall on him.  To me the other goals were not his fault and I don't fully blame him for getting upset with Godinho.

Godinho - Positively surprised me at times during this tournament.  But had multiple careless errors throughout the tournament and it clearly showed that he hasn't been playing.  A few bad back passes, terrible penalty and exposed defensively at times.

ZBG - Had his first sub-par performance in a Canadian uniform but given his training, I expected to see him more throughout.  Instead Herdman started Godinho with only 1 CNMT cap to his name became the starting RB for the tournament.

Morgan - Given how poor his TFC season has been, I was surprised he was chosen but expected to see more of him in the tournament as our only natural left back.

Henry - Thought he was fairly solid but still has a mental lapse almost every game.

Cornelius - Surprisingly positive but still prone to errors.

Miller - Glad we capped him.

Kaye - Mixed performances but needs to be played at CM for this program (when healthy).

Piette - Not a huge fan but surprised with his lack of playing time this tournament given his role with our program over the years.

Atiba - I thought he was just alright throughout the tournament.  My guess is Eustaquio comes in and takes over that role.  I think were in for a treat when hes back healthy.

Arfield - I thought he was one of the best players on the pitch for most of the tournament.

Osorio - Thought he had an excellent tournament.  Hard to imagine people will still be hating on him but I'm sure some will find something to criticize.

Johnson - Disappointing

Teibert - Underwhelming.  Do not see the need to have both him and Johnson on this squad instead of some more natural defenders.

Jonathan David - No more needs to be said.  He's a star for the future.

Hoilett - Underwhelming vs Martinique.  Excellent vs Cuba.  I thought he was one of the more dangerous players for Canada for the first 60 minutes against Haiti.  A lot of hate on him because the last 30 minutes vs Haiti were ugly on his part.  If anyone follows Hoilett, they know he is commonly subbed out near the hour mark as he tends to fade in games.  I have no idea why he wasn't subbed last game for some fresh legs.

Davies - Very good but he needs to find his role and identity with this program.  We can't expect to move his role from game to game.

Millar - Didn't see enough of him this tournament in my opinion.

Cavallini - Not his best performance last night but overall a strong tournament.

Larin - Played out of position and should never have started vs Mexico.  Honestly should have seen minutes vs Cuba for his confidence and should have been used as the last sub when we needed a goal vs Haiti.

Okello, Leutwiler & Crepeau - DNP

Can't help but be disappointed but I am excited for the young core of this team.  Defensively need some help but I can't imagine losing to Haiti is going to leave a positive portrayal of our program for a player like Tomori and other potential dual nationals.

I always wear Canada/Voyageurs gear to our Canada Day family picnic as I will today, it just would have been so nice to have the anticipation of a semi final match with Mexico looming instead of having to explain to everyone how we completely fell apart and threw away a great opportunity against a team we should have beaten! Happy Canada Day everyone!

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

On another note, did anyone else notice the Mexican fans cheering when Haiti scored and at the end of the game? I guess they really didn't (scared) want to play against us.😁

I'm not sure anyone did, unless it was preferring to play us instead of Mexico. The chance that we could out-score you (no matter how many gaffes in the back) was very real. After four games we were level with Mexico for most goals-per-game with an average of 3.5 goals scored per game. This after not scoring a goal in the 2013 and 2015 versions of the tournament. Something we need to remember in terms of progress after this painful exit.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:45 AM, Macksam said:

We beat ourselves. We were comfortably out playing them and made two boneheaded decisions to let them back in the game. 

Iceland beat the Netherlands in World Cup qualifying a little while back. Is Iceland better than the Netherlands? 

You got the last word. We are better than Haiti. 

22 hours ago, MtlMario said:

On another note, did anyone else notice the Mexican fans cheering when Haiti scored and at the end of the game? I guess they really didn't (scared) want to play against us.😁

Scared? They were cheering and laughing because we are a fucking joke.