Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

45 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Fluff. He would have gained my respect if he took some blame. But he gave it all to the players. 

How about subbing off an fantastically performing midfielder for someone who was very clearly unfit? 

How about subbing off a one of the tournament's leading scorers, down a goal, for a defender?

How about the fact your entire press conference whines about not being physical enough to match Haiti's physicality... yet you leave our most physical player in Sam Piette on the bench?

Herdman, I gave him a chance. But thus tournament really soured me. Talking about the semi-finals in the group stage. Not taking blame upon himself. Disgusting substitutions. 

Edited by Hawkguy

14 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Everyone’s blaming Borjan on here when the only goal you can fault him on is the first. Even then it was a **** backpass from Godinho and everyone’s saying just boot it out when the Haitian is right on top of him. He could’ve dived on the ball and given up the indirect free kick but there was no room for him to just smash it up field. On the penalty he can’t be blamed because it’s a penalty and those are hard to save no matter how good you are. And on the final goal I don’t believe it was his fault either. While it was a great ball I think Davies has to put more effort in there to stop the attacker. It’s easy to make Borjan the scapegoat because his job is to stop shots and he ****** one up and then yelled at the defender who ****** up later. They’re professional ffs if Godinho loses his confidence because someone yelled at him that’s a effing joke. Does Borjan have a share of the blame for the first goal and maybe the last,yes, but is it his fault we lost, no chance.

Lol you may wanna watch the play again

Also. I don't give a shit if you're a professional. Everyone gets pissed off being yelled at. You may think it doesn't effect you... but it will. 

And no Borjan is a (not the only) scapegoat because he was a jackass and because he made a huge mistake to cost us a goal. 

Edited by Hawkguy

28 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I dont think people are hating godinho on these forums, rather hating on herdman for putting him in a situation to fail. Going in we knew his pace would be a problem which is why many of us suggested starting ZBG. 

ZBG would not have been a big improvement, but his pace would have been able to better deal with the counter attacks. 

Furthermore poor godinhos confidence was smashed between borjan yelling at him, the pk and haiti smashing 2 strikers down his side every counter. 

Where the heck was the coach to step in and make tactical adjustments so he wasnt 2v1 on every counter. Where was the coach to realize this kids confidence is shot and the other team is picking on him. 

No hate towards godinho. Obviously he gave it his all. 

Bingo. We should actually be shocked he only made one really bad play when he was 1v2 for the entire second half. 

34 minutes ago, VinceA said:

So much hate on Godinho. Yes he struggled but the kid is like 22 and the insinuation that ZBG, who is just as untested as Marcus is would have been a big improvement is just wrong. We have two young RBs who have a long and great career ahead of them.

In October before the US game there needs to be a friendly scheduled. In November before the US game in the US there needs to be a friendly scheduled. No excuses not to. Saying we're poor doesn't fly anymore.

Might be hard to get a game before October with the European leagues starting.

3 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

I thought Godinho played very well until the penalty. 

Borjan is an *******. I could understand if that was the 3-2 goal and frustrations were boiling but it wasn't. We were still in the driver seat and he acts like a disrespectful fool. I was pissed. Hopefully Busti turns out to be good so we can get a youthful keeper to grow with this group.

Yeah Godinho wasn’t bad except for the weak back pass that Milan could have knocked sideways and the penalty where his eyes were on the ball. Yes, he should have been more aware of his surroundings but it happens.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

What the **** is this guy talking about?   We weren't ready for their physicality?  Really?

Take some damn responsibility before you completely lose that locker room.

And wtf were those softball, lazy questions from reporters?  No one thought to question him on his idiotic subs and not even using the last one? 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

So much hate on Godinho. Yes he struggled but the kid is like 22 and the insinuation that ZBG, who is just as untested as Marcus is would have been a big improvement is just wrong. We have two young RBs who have a long and great career ahead of them.

Decided to delete my rant, not worth it. It was not a Godinho rant, more a rant on confusion of Herdman not making adjustments to the shape and formation when up 2-0 to professionally close it out and give the backline more support, every single CMNT fan or follower knows the backline is our weak point.

Also nobody is calling ZBG the second coming whatsoever.

Anyways, I don't even put all the blame on Godinho by any means but I will give HUGE PROPS and class to Osorio going up to Godinho after the game for support.

Hopefully our backline continues to grow and get stronger, that is all.

Edited by apbsmith
Deleted a rant

31 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Yeah Godinho wasn’t bad except for the weak back pass that Milan could have knocked sideways and the penalty where his eyes were on the ball. Yes, he should have been more aware of his surroundings but it happens.

The back pass wasn't even that bad. If Borjan didn't back up and then try to play like Ronaldo, he would have been fine. 

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Where the heck was the coach to step in and make tactical adjustments so he wasnt 2v1 on every counter. Where was the coach to realize this kids confidence is shot and the other team is picking on him. 

No hate towards godinho. Obviously he gave it his all

This ^, prolly should have read this before I went on my rant lol, thanks.

There was a collective mental collapse last night.  After the first conceded goal, a team like Canada with the superior talent, needs to pick up the pace and reassert their technical dominance, have on-field leaders calm and elevate the resolve - instead the team stayed in neutral and started to panic. 

I hope, moving forward, some leaders emerge from this group.  Borjan’s mistake and reaction, combined with a lack of leadership was the the hole that could not be plugged that ultimately sunk the ship.  And even on the third goal, Borjan was so quick to start dishing out blame.  He’s saved our a**es numerous times with brilliant saves, but a team that’s not playing together regularly doesn’t need that selfish attitude, especially from the goalie and one of the most experienced out there.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Better Borjan getting irate than Hutch saying after the game that it was something to learn from.

Goof! You are about to friggin retire, there is nothing left to learn for you any more!!

Wow, really?

Maybe he was saying that as a message to the rest of them as they go forward eventually without him.

Edited by Macksam

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Better Borjan getting irate than Hutch saying after the game that it was something to learn from.

Goof! You are about to friggin retire, there is nothing left to learn for you any more!!

Hutch isnt a goof. Guy gave everything to canada. He is a silent leader. I had no problems with his post match interview. 

Good Lord what a choke job…..

Still as upset today as I was yesterday after the game. What a bad way to start the Canada day long weekend.

First of all can we please stop all those unnecessary back passes to Borjan? I know Mexico does it all the time. Well… we’re not Mexico if you haven’t noticed.

Everything was said about Cav being sub-off. What a dump decision by Herdman.

When we started saying that Canada was hiding its weapons in the first game against Mexico in prevision of the next game against them, I mean, are you kidding me? Do you think that Mexico will lose sleep over our strategy or over the players we may be hiding? Does Herdman think that he can outcoach Tata? Laughable. We saw ourselves too good too early.

Piette got a lot of criticism during the tournament. People were literally over him. While he was on the field, we scored 11 goals and gave none (Against weaker opponents yes and he made a huge mistake) but by reading the comments here you would think that he was the worst player in the Gold cup. You know what? I strongly believe that with him on the field yesterday, we win the game. We will never know for sure.

We have better individual talent than before, no doubt. We did progress. We are now better than some teams that were ranked higher than us. The problem is that we were also left behind by the same number of nations that were ranked lower before. At the end of the day we are probably at the same place in the Concacaf. Curacao and Haiti are trending up. Honduras down but they will come back, no worries.

I feel a lot less optimistic this morning about qualifying for Qatar. I’m expecting to come up short again. Not even sure that we will make the Hex if there is a Hex. I’ll be the first one to be happy if I’m wrong.

What a letdown. Some will say it’s an overreaction. My answer is that I’m following the national team since 1980. Being there, done that. I’ve seen this movie before.

22 minutes ago, Christian B. said:

We have better individual talent than before, no doubt. We did progress. We are now better than some teams that were ranked higher than us. The problem is that we were also left behind by the same number of nations that were ranked lower before. At the end of the day we are probably at the same place in the Concacaf. Curacao and Haiti are trending up. Honduras down but they will come back, no worries.

What a letdown. Some will say it’s an overreaction. My answer is that I’m following the national team since 1980. Being there, done that. I’ve seen this movie before.

We are better than both Curacao and Haiti. 

Following the team since 1980 means nothing when it comes to the future. This team is exciting to watch and has the talent to easily get to the hex.

Edited by Macksam

11 minutes ago, davey_twelve said:

Haiti just beat us.

They sure got a lot of help from us beating ourself as well. Terrible pk give away, terrible backpass giving a goal. Haiti converted those chances we gave them tho. All credit to them. 

20 minutes ago, Macksam said:

We are better than both Curacao and Haiti. 

Following the team since 1980 means nothing when it comes to the future. This team is exciting to watch and has the talent to easily get to the hex.

You can say that we are better than Haiti. The facts are that we played them last night in a quarter final of our continental championship and they beat us in regulation and there was no bad call from the referee to rob us. They also beat Costa Rica last week which is no small feat.