Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

Gold Cup Quarter Final Viewing Parties
Events across Canada - Here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go fellow V's!!! The KO round of the Gold Cup that we have all been waiting for is finally here. 

My thoughts: 

1) Haiti played excellent last night, they are fast, strong, athletic, well coached and for the most part organized. Kudos to Haiti to take the 3 points from Costa Rica and win the group. Nothing to take away from Haiti but should be noted Costa Rica rested two of their regular starting defenders on yellows. 

2) Aside from some minor knocks and a few heavy legs, I think the squad moral is quite high and injury free going into the KO rounds. I think the Haitians will carry more fatigue into this game then us. I think the final 20-25 mins of this game, really favors us thanks to depth and squad rotation. #loadmanagement

3) I noticed Haiti struggled at times defending the crosses into box. A Costa Rican was left wide open essentially in the middle of the box on a cross in extra time and skied a beauty chance to tie it. I think we have an excellent oprotunity to exploit them on crosses. 

4) Player depth is great and vs Haiti I would like a very fast and strong backline. Davies, Cornelius, Henry, ZBG... I could see him going back to MAK at LB though, even Hutch at CB, but above is my preferred back 4.

5) I would like us to continue with our 4-3-3, felt this has been when we have looked our best. That formation works fine vs Haiti.

6) I think we keep the same front 6 as Cuba except Piette in the middle, I would start Hutch there. That has MaK and Piette coming off the bench, which is crazy. Might make sense, midfield workload is going to be massive this game. I predict a very fast paced game.

7) If Herdman goes with MAK at LB who does he leave off from the front 3? Davies as a sub for Hoilett could also be breathtaking.

😎 Interesting match-up most thought for sure it would be Costa Rica but Haiti it is. I put Haiti in a similar pool as Jamaica, T&T, Curacao and now even Bermuda. Haiti are still a very dangerous team and they are going to be beyond fired up to beat us coming off the upset of the tourny so far. 

My bad everyone for the long post, went a bit overboard, lots of talking points and I'm beyond fired up, honestly can't wait.

Don’t apologize for the long post, it was a great one! Thank you.

I really feel like if we take them seriously we have a great chance of winning. We haven’t played Haiti since 2007 so it’s time haha. Remember this is a team that beat the same Cuba team 2-1 in March at home. So let’s take them seriously but at the same time realize we have a favourable matchup for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

4-1 win im predicting. 

Borjan 

Zbg henry cornelius davies

Arfield hutch osorio

David cav hoilet

Lets go !

This is what I think we'll go with as well.

If Kaye is carrying a knock, no need to risk him unless we are chasing the game and/or Osorio needs to come off.

We can also push Davies forward and bring Morgan on if we need a goal. I trust him more than Teibert at full back against Haiti. Teibert is better on the ball, but lacks the athleticism of Morgan.

I'll go with 3-1 for this one.

We'll jump out to an early lead and they'll respond at some point. Then, we'll put them to bed in the second half as they tire.

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Here we go fellow V's!!! The KO round of the Gold Cup that we have all been waiting for is finally here. 

My thoughts: 

1) Haiti played excellent last night, they are fast, strong, athletic, well coached and for the most part organized. Kudos to Haiti to take the 3 points from Costa Rica and win the group. Nothing to take away from Haiti but should be noted Costa Rica rested two of their regular starting defenders on yellows. 

2) Aside from some minor knocks and a few heavy legs, I think the squad moral is quite high and injury free going into the KO rounds. I think the Haitians will carry more fatigue into this game then us. I think the final 20-25 mins of this game, really favors us thanks to depth and squad rotation. #loadmanagement

3) I noticed Haiti struggled at times defending the crosses into box. A Costa Rican was left wide open essentially in the middle of the box on a cross in extra time and skied a beauty chance to tie it. I think we have an excellent oprotunity to exploit them on crosses. 

4) Player depth is great and vs Haiti I would like a very fast and strong backline. Davies, Cornelius, Henry, ZBG... I could see him going back to MAK at LB though, even Hutch at CB, but above is my preferred back 4.

5) I would like us to continue with our 4-3-3, felt this has been when we have looked our best. That formation works fine vs Haiti.

6) I think we keep the same front 6 as Cuba except Piette in the middle, I would start Hutch there. That has MaK and Piette coming off the bench, which is crazy. Might make sense, midfield workload is going to be massive this game. I predict a very fast paced game.

7) If Herdman goes with MAK at LB who does he leave off from the front 3? Davies as a sub for Hoilett could also be breathtaking.

😎 Interesting match-up most thought for sure it would be Costa Rica but Haiti it is. I put Haiti in a similar pool as Jamaica, T&T, Curacao and now even Bermuda. Haiti are still a very dangerous team and they are going to be beyond fired up to beat us coming off the upset of the tourny so far. 

My bad everyone for the long post, went a bit overboard, lots of talking points and I'm beyond fired up, honestly can't wait.

Great post!  I'll add my thoughts:

- Like you suggested, we need to get Kaye in there.  Speaking of which, is he healthy now?

- Kaye > Osorio right now, especially vs Haiti.

- Anyone watching us will target our backs.  Godinho and our rotation on the left both look vulnerable.

- We've been doing well with the usual 4-3-3, but we need more width vs Haiti. I feel the 4-3-3 might leave us vulnerable to their counter attacks and fast flanks. 

My answer to all this would be a 4-4-2:

------- James - Cavallini
Davies - Hutch - Arfield - Hoilett
Kaye - Cornelius - Henry - ZBG

Haiti also had some squad rotation I believe - they're Belgium-based striker who got the two goals against Bermuda didn't play last night, and neither did a couple of their first choice back four.

Each team has two players who could have played for the other team.

Each team may also be considering themselves the favourites to win, which was also the case two years ago in the QF against Jamaica.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Haiti also had some squad rotation I believe - they're Belgium-based striker who got the two goals against Bermuda didn't play last night, and neither did a couple of their first choice back four.

Each team has two players who could have played for the other team.

Each team may also be considering themselves the favourites to win, which was also the case two years ago in the QF against Jamaica.

I think they were missing 1 or maybe both of their best CBs. I saw a Haiti fan make that remark on the MLS site. 

When creating these threads for major games, I think we need the top post to be about information.

Time, Location, Viewing parties ect..

So when people make them, make two posts.  Leave the top one just info, and your post the next one.

That way I can edit in things like viewing parties as they are formed, and not edit, wipe out someone's post. 

12 minutes ago, admin said:

When creating these threads for major games, I think we need the top post to be about information.

Time, Location, Viewing parties ect..

So when people make them, make two posts.  Leave the top one just info, and your post the next one.

That way I can edit in things like viewing parties as they are formed, and not edit, wipe out someone's post. 

Sounds good, over run with excitement. 

Will double post next time.

8 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

ZBG-Henry-Cornelius-Davies

MAK-Hutchinson-Arfield (triangle)

David-Cavallini-Hoillett

Our two fastest fullbacks, decent wheels and poise on the ball under pressure in midfield.

I think this is our best possible line-up. I think it depends on the fitness of Kaye/Osorio.

If both are perfectly fit, I would opt for Kaye, I just love how he glides around the field. I think he would be important against a physical Haiti team.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think this is our best possible line-up. I think it depends on the fitness of Kaye/Osorio.

If both are perfectly fit, I would opt for Kaye, I just love how he glides around the field. I think he would be important against a physical Haiti team.

For the first time in awhile, the lineup seems fairly unanimous.  

Davies & ZBG outside backs with Henry & Cornelius at center back.

Hutchinson Arfield & either Osorio or Kaye in the midfield.

David, Hoilett on both sides of Cavllini up top.

The only question mark surrounds whether Osorio or Kaye starts.  Personally I don't see how Piette will start with this midfield but he seems to be a favourite.  Hard to imagine keeping Osorio off the pitch the way he has been playing but to me it might make more sense to have Kaye start this game as hes much more athletic.  I've always said this and I stand by it.  Osorio has the skill, creativity & technicial ability to really make a difference off the bench.  As he showed vs Mexico this tournament.  In contrast, he may start and be an early sub for a more defensive player in Kaye or Piette if Canada has a lead.

FB is telling me that the Voyageurs will be showing the game at the Duke of Gloucester.  I remember that Paupers Pub was organized for the 2017 Canada/Jamaica QF and the energy there might have been the best I've experienced for one of these games in Toronto.  The second floor of Paupers was packed and given this is a Saturday evening game, I assume it would be similar.  Can Gloucester hold as many people.  No complaints from me, happy to be at either!  I just remember how electric it was in 2017!

Sorry for posting this here; no specific viewing party thread yet.

Edited by trc2014

Best tie we could likely hope for but also a huge banana skin. Going to be a tight game imo. 

We should outmuscle them in midfield and upfront but our defence and weak centre will make or break this game. I'd also rather Piette doesn't start he is too slow and will be a liability.

Question: how does this matchup work for  our Haitian-Canadians in ZBG and David?  Both are young players so it could be a factor. Likewise, on their side they have a couple players who will likely feature and who are Canadians.

FWIW, in 2007 Haitian Canadian Bernier came on as a sub vs Haiti in the 2-0 win.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Question: how does this matchup work for  our Haitian-Canadians in ZBG and David?  Both are young players so it could be a factor. Likewise, on their side they have a couple players who will likely feature and who are Canadians.

FWIW, in 2007 Haitian Canadian Bernier came on as a sub vs Haiti in the 2-0 win.

What do you mean “how does this matchup work?” I imagine they approach the match like any other. Maybe more emotional in the lead up and first couple minutes but they’re professionals and I imagine this is all business.

57 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What do you mean “how does this matchup work?” I imagine they approach the match like any other. Maybe more emotional in the lead up and first couple minutes but they’re professionals and I imagine this is all business.

You figured out what I meant but I just wonder what that would be like (I.e playing against your other nationality).  If there’s a chance they give just 99.9%, even if subconsciously, I think you sit them.  That’s a question for sport psychologists I suppose. 

Edited by CanadaFan123