Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

22 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

You speak with the same defeatist attitude that every Voyageur has stated after a loss.  We’re still drawing straws out of every loss.  We were in control and the coach didn’t adjust in the half and we collapsed.  Any other coach in the world would’ve been sacked but here we’re give the coach another 2-4 years to work.  Nothing ever changes for Canada and nothing ever will.  Some of us hoped we can turn the page but we’re still stuck in the late 90’s mindset.

This must be high level ironic trolling or English is your second language. I suggest you use google to search the term defeatist and see what it actually means and then you should look in a mirror.

Also, you should work on your reading comprehension. I am talking about the progression in our talent level. I have made no comment about our coaching situation which is what you clearly have an issue with.

15 minutes ago, Copes said:

Your take seems extreme to me. This Canada looked and felt and competed notably differently than teams this past decade. Results were similar but play was better. Beyond that, Herdman has 1 tournament under his belt - a tournament where we broke our scoring records and were 45 minutes away from our best placement in 12 years. 

Did we collapse? Yes. Did Herdman contribute to that? Sure. But is he solely reaponsible and should be canned? Lol calm yourself.

Next to BBTB, Nolbertos is also another older Voyageur that can't seem to accept the new horizon for Canadian soccer that dawns on us. Just for some context, he was actually even more pessimistic and cynical than BBTB about the CPL getting off the ground and working. That's who you're replying to.

Edited by Macksam

I don't see anyone here mentioning this, but Holliet (besides Cuba game) didn't play well in this tournament.  When we move Davies up front, then Holliet will be odd man out.  But I highly doubt Herdman would have the balls to bench Holliet.

We simply can't afford to play Davies as LB anymore, we need a proper LB who wouldn't make mistakes that cost us goals like Davies did in this tournament.  

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

This must be high level ironic trolling or English is your second language. I suggest you use google to search the term defeatist and see what it actually means.

Also, you should work on your reading comprehension. I am talking about the progression in our talent level. I have no made comment about our coaching situation which is what you clearly have an issue with.

Next to BBTB, Nolbertos is also another older Voyageur that can't seem to accept the new horizon for Canadian soccer that dawns on us. Just for some context, he was actually even more pessimistic and cynical than BBTB about the CPL getting off the ground and working. That's who you're replying to.

What a hopeless and unenjoyable way to take in the sport. 

1 minute ago, TFC07 said:

I don't see anyone here mentioning this, but Holliet (besides Cuba game) didn't play well in this tournament.  When we move Davies up front, then Holliet will be odd man out.  But I highly doubt Herdman would have the balls to bench Holliet.

We simply can't afford to play Davies as LB anymore, we need a proper LB who wouldn't make mistakes that cost us goals like Davies did in this tournament.  

Langwa? 

Kidding. 

Kinda.

2 minutes ago, TFC07 said:

?????

The HFX Wanderers left-back (21 year old) had IMO been a standout in the new CPL both on his team in general and across the league in that position. 

He is at a level lower than what we need but perhaps he is worth a look.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

after the Second goal - Godinho should have been replaced with ZBG

This. I couldn't believe he wasn't subbed out immediately. I'm still reading through this thread and haven't checked the game stats, but I think we even had a sub remaining when the game ended didn't we? I must be missing one right?

4 minutes ago, Copes said:

The HFX Wanderers left-back (21 year old) had IMO been a standout in the new CPL both on his team in general and across the league in that position. 

He is at a level lower than what we need but perhaps he is worth a look.

I don't really follow CPL, but I feel we do have options for LB if we decide to play 4-3-3.  

On a positive note, at least this tournament answer some questions when comes to who starts for this team moving forward.  

Edited by TFC07

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

This. I couldn't believe he wasn't subbed out immediately. I'm still reading through this thread and haven't checked the game stats, but I think we even had a sub remaining when the game ended didn't we? I must be missing one right?

We left a sub unused. 

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Even if Herdman didn’t trust ZBG , they could have Johnson on RB for 20 mins. Herdman had options 

I watched the first half on a phone at a birthday party & missed the second half as I drove home, thinking there was no way we could screw it up - that will teach me......). Saw the highlights of the brutal errors to let Haiti back in the game, simply can't give away goals like that in a Q-F, utterly ridiculous. Then we take off Cavallini when we need a goal for Ashtone Morgan? Tactical naivety from Herdman and a big red flag about him. Having Davies further up the pitch against a team that will now be bunkering is a naive move if that's what he was thinking. You don't take off a guy who would be leading the Gold Cup in goals (were it not for another Canadian player already doing so) when you need a goal.

We scored 14 goals in 4 games but somehow managed to crash out of the tourney by the end of that fourth game, and we still haven't won a big knockout match in this tourney since 2007 which is the most disappointing aspect. I hope this team uses this to get angry and kick the crap out of the Americans in the Nations League. Don't feel sorry, get angry!

10 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

How many of you guys watched what Kristian Jack had to say at the end of the TSN telecast ? If you didn’t try and find his post game comments he made in the TSN studio after the game , he was spot on.

Couldn't agree more, I said the same thing.

Sorry for piling on. Don't normally post but I can't stop myself. Agree fully with those that say Herdman needs fired. Clearly out of his depth - naive tactics and player selection - he froze like a div 5 striker with an open net. Unsure why anyone would defend him after this display. If it were a lower division player that cost us a tournament we would be demanding that he never be called up again. Well think about it - Herdman head coaching experience is literally U15 level. Our players, whom O am proud of by the way, deserve infinitely better. 

14 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

How many of you guys watched what Kristian Jack had to say at the end of the TSN telecast ? If you didn’t try and find his post game comments he made in the TSN studio after the game , he was spot on.

100% I've been a 3/4 fan of his  for a while, but now I am a HUGE fan of his, respect. 

Man the Sid rant on Tim & Sid Monday will be painful to watch from a CSA perspective. He is nowhere near as knowledgeable as KJ but as a casual footy fan, it's prolly gonna be a pretty wild rant.

We should have won yes this is not your fathers Haiti they seem to be much improved. However, apart from a few players on Haiti Canada on paper had the higher level players and they were up 2-0 going into that second half . I’m still trying to figure out what happened I’m still in shock , what the hell happened my long weekend is ruined  lol  and I’m serious that’s the sad part !

Edited by SoccMan