Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

8 hours ago, Macksam said:

I think Liam Millar would have been a great guy to bring on towards the end. He would have easily ran at those tired Haitian legs.

If I had my choices;

Piette for Hutch at half. 

Liam Millar for Hoilett at 70. Davies moves up front here and run 3 at the back. 

I'd probably have done ZBG for Godinho after Borjan yelled at him for the first goal. It's hard to focus again after that. I don't blame Godinho for that (the second yes) but still would have made the change. 

Osorio and Cavallini would have been nowhere close to being off. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Here’s the story that stands out for me: Milan Borjan is supposed to be a leader and completely destroyed his young defenders confidence.  Why?  I don’t know but it’s the second time this year he’s put us in a bad spot with a mistake.. luckily vs FG we recovered, today we couldn’t.

He had time to clear that back pass and for whatever reason tried to be fancy with it. To show up the Haitian and his young defender? I can’t think of a reason that ball wasn’t cleared and it’s the second time I’m saying that in 5 matches now.  Then he yells at the defender..

Piss poor leadership from our second most experienced player on the pitch.  We are a young team and a “leader” didn’t lead tonight and it mentally lead to us falling apart IMO. 

** notwithstanding the fact that Godinho shouldn’t have been a starter in this tournament anyway as I questioned pre-game.

I thought Godinho played very well until the penalty. 

Borjan is an asshole. I could understand if that was the 3-2 goal and frustrations were boiling but it wasn't. We were still in the driver seat and he acts like a disrespectful fool. I was pissed. Hopefully Busti turns out to be good so we can get a youthful keeper to grow with this group.

7 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

This. 

Glad we get an opportunity to play the US twice, but not thrilled we get Cuba again... tonight shows that this young team needs as much experience as they can get against decent Concacaf competition.

I guess better for something like this to happen now than during WCQ....But so gutted and disappointed right now.

If we had too good of competition we'd probably choke and end up in League B

5 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I would just like to point out that in the time I've been watching Canada I've put on 40 pounds and lost most of my hair.

There, see!  Something else to look forward besides Nations League. 

Me too, although I've probably gained more in the range of 70 to 100 pounds. But that's measuring from since I was about 12 years old so that part isn't as bad as it sounds :)

53 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

I thought Godinho played very well until the penalty. 

Borjan is an *******. I could understand if that was the 3-2 goal and frustrations were boiling but it wasn't. We were still in the driver seat and he acts like a disrespectful fool. I was pissed. Hopefully Busti turns out to be good so we can get a youthful keeper to grow with this group.

Yes, I was watching him closely as like others on here I was concerned with him starting, you are right, Borjan was a dick for getting all over the young defender for a calamity he was just as much or more responsible for, that can't help the player's confidence and who knows how much it affected the rest of his game! I see lots of hate for Godinho, it's too bad because he did show lots of promise at Hearts but has lost his way, this tournament won't have helped although potentially it could have if he did well! I am still really pissed about us throwing this match away, I think I feel worse today than the aftermath of the 8-1 and that was a much more important match!

7 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I can’t be the only one who is completely desensitised to losses like this? 

I can't say it was a big surprise. There's a lot of potential there but if anyone can screw it up, the CSA are past masters with consistent results.

On the bright side we had nothing major to look forward to after the 8-1 game for years. 

Now we have both nations league and wcq within the year. 

Im also a bit concerned about Cav though. As he was walking off after his sub he looked to be “shushing” someone on bench. We need him for the next 4 years. 

Edited by king1010

14 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Im also a bit concerned about Cav. As he was walking off after his sub he looked to be “shushing” someone on bench. We need him for the next 4 years. 

This concerns me too. Hopefully he was just fired up and in the moment, but there won’t be any issues going forward. 

42 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I sadly was not desensitized to the capitulation last night. It hurt. 

27 minutes ago, king1010 said:

On the bright side we had nothing major to look forward to after the 8-1 game for years. 

Now we have both nations league and wcq within the year. 

Im also a bit concerned about Cav though. As he was walking off after his sub he looked to be “shushing” someone on bench. We need him for the next 4 years. 

It would be very interesting to hear what was said in the dressing room after this debacle, with Cat being subbed off for a LB and Borjan blaming everyone but himself for a poor match, hopefully the leadership of Hutchinson and Arfield kept things together as I'm sure there was lots of anger all round!

13 hours ago, jonovision said:

Why was Godinho forced to cover 2 guys? 

That is what I said while watching with fellow Vs in Vancouver. He blew it, for sure, but he was alone there and had no help. So you don't throw the guy to the lions and then not look at why a team needing to defend could not get players behind the ball. 

As for the first back pass, Borjan seemed more concerned about tearing Godinho's ear off than stopping the ball, which is what his 100% priority had to be. It would just have been an illegal back pass and a free kick in the box. Still, also said this while watching: if Hutch had made that pass back, Borjan would have shut up. It is the veterans' responsability to make the team tick and be positive for the youth. 

That first goal for Haiti got them back in, but Herdman never had us playing possession in confidence with proper shape on the field. How can a team leading be hit on the counter? It just shows, he is a tactical amateur, with no capacity to interpret the difference between being up two goals or being down. We played identically for almost 90 minutes. 

We need to play more games.

RB and LB need to be straightened out, taking a look at everyone, Cordova included, which can be accomplished by playing more games.

Davies, Cav, and David need to be our front line.  I feel like Hoilett has lost a step although he is still a great option for certain games.

It's possible to be angry and critical about this match and still hold on to the positives from this tournament, including some midfield and attacking play that showed a different Canada than I have ever seen.

It's also good to see anger and outrage, as we should expect to win these games with this group.

It's also possible to criticise Herdman and feel he made serious errors without thinking the time is right to fire him yet.  Ultimately it will depend on whether he has lost the confidence of key players.

Hats off to Haiti.  Sometimes a team just seems to be on a magical run, as we were when we won our only Gold Cup.

Looking forward to seeing Eustaqiuo with this group.

Luckily we do not have long to wait before Nation's League, and there is plenty of CanPL in between.

Jonathan David is going to obliterate all Canadian scoring records.

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Each one is new though.  Have we ever been up 2-0 at halftime in an elimination game and been eliminated?  Never mind by 2 of our own mistakes..I could at least live with a couple wonder goals against us.

Have we ever blown a 2 goal lead and lost?  

12 hours ago, king1010 said:

It absolutely was. 

U dont sub ur main striker off cuz he missed a chance and bring on a defender. Jesus christ. 

So would everyone else on the field maybe would have scored maybe would have not. 

Exactly, we had late attacking plays from Cornelius, MAK and Hutch, meaning we had non-strikers in striking positions because we'd emptied the attacking spot of our one true target. When obviously it would be a game of free kicks and centres and long balls and even the keeper going up--Cavallini Country. 

He did not have a great game, but it was the right game for him late when we needed a goal. 

IMO we needed to go to a double DM pivot with Hutch and Piette, I did not mind the Oso sub, but think the person who offers less tracking back, and is more a flash player, is Junior. For me we should have done Piette for Junior and put men behind the ball. 

How can a team leading be hit on the counter constantly? That is absolute amateur tactical nous from Herdman (and sorry to say, very typical of British one dimensional managers). 

So much hate on Godinho. Yes he struggled but the kid is like 22 and the insinuation that ZBG, who is just as untested as Marcus is would have been a big improvement is just wrong. We have two young RBs who have a long and great career ahead of them.

In October before the US game there needs to be a friendly scheduled. In November before the US game in the US there needs to be a friendly scheduled. No excuses not to. Saying we're poor doesn't fly anymore.

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Complete shit!  Take some responsibility...it wasnt about tactics or style or physicality.  The team has barely played together and too many guys were playing out of position.  This is the first real game he has had, MR PREPARATION, no stone unturned, every detail attended too.  There was a quote that Zambrano did more with less, and I agree.  No tough games, too much congradulating ourselves for minnow bashing.  And if Godinho is the top 2 RB, why did he not get more games to mesh with senior team?  Of course because no one had any games let alone ones where the back line was really tested since herdman took over.  We fell to pieces the first time we got punched in the face because they were not prepared.  And for anyone touting that the strongest part of Davies game is his defense.....maybe backtracking when he is on the wing, but not playing LB.  

Just now, VinceA said:

So much hate on Godinho. Yes he struggled but the kid is like 22 and the insinuation that ZBG, who is just as untested as Marcus is would have been a big improvement is just wrong. We have two young RBs who have a long and great career ahead of them.

In October before the US game there needs to be a friendly scheduled. In November before the US game in the US there needs to be a friendly scheduled. No excuses not to. Saying we're poor doesn't fly anymore.

I dont think people are hating godinho on these forums, rather hating on herdman for putting him in a situation to fail. Going in we knew his pace would be a problem which is why many of us suggested starting ZBG. 

ZBG would not have been a big improvement, but his pace would have been able to better deal with the counter attacks. 

Furthermore poor godinhos confidence was smashed between borjan yelling at him, the pk and haiti smashing 2 strikers down his side every counter. 

Where the heck was the coach to step in and make tactical adjustments so he wasnt 2v1 on every counter. Where was the coach to realize this kids confidence is shot and the other team is picking on him. 

No hate towards godinho. Obviously he gave it his all. 

Everyone’s blaming Borjan on here when the only goal you can fault him on is the first. Even then it was a shit backpass from Godinho and everyone’s saying just boot it out when the Haitian is right on top of him. He could’ve dived on the ball and given up the indirect free kick but there was no room for him to just smash it up field. On the penalty he can’t be blamed because it’s a penalty and those are hard to save no matter how good you are. And on the final goal I don’t believe it was his fault either. While it was a great ball I think Davies has to put more effort in there to stop the attacker. It’s easy to make Borjan the scapegoat because his job is to stop shots and he fucked one up and then yelled at the defender who fucked up later. They’re professional ffs if Godinho loses his confidence because someone yelled at him that’s a effing joke. Does Borjan have a share of the blame for the first goal and maybe the last,yes, but is it his fault we lost, no chance.