York9 - 2019 Season Thread

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

TFC are not struggling. Shaff is just fast and teams figured him out fairly quickly. Hes got a long way to go but is still very young which is why a loan makes sense. 

He's more than just fast, he's got a good first touch, dribbling ability...but I haven't seen the last few games so if he has hit a cold streak, I guess they can re-evaluate come 2020. 

Its not a cold streak..just like Fraser was doing well, when Bradley came back and the new wingers got acclimated, playing time dried up.  Same as it did for Telfer when he was with TFC.  But both of them (telfer/Shaff) were very positive, created a spark that was sorely needed when they came to TFC.  You could include Lareaya in that category as well.  Competition is stiff for minutes, and I thought originally that TFC snapped up SHaff just to keep him from Halifax, but they did give him a decent shot.   

All the TAM GAM baloney in MLS means higher priced established talent and less kids being played, league wide...american or canadian.  The logjam of CDN at TFC that just cant quite crack the lineup should be York9/CPL targets next year.  Chapman, Fraser, Shaff, Hundal, Mohammed, Srbely, petrasso, a bunch of those guys will probably come free in the off season.  The ones in USL-1 would probably relish the better standard of play in CPL.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw some York 9 advertisement. Some signage posted on the light standards in the Longo’s parking lot at Weston and Major Mackenzie. Some were pictures of Doner, some Aparicio, standard in game photo with a come and watch type wording. I’ll try to go back tomorrow in the day and get a photo. 

I mean better late than never but why this little bit of advertising now with the season just about over? York Region should’ve been littered with these things in March/April. 

• 2 weeks later...

To move the supporters section further from the field is just stupid. The one good thing about the track remaining is they wont be going to a turf field next season. I am considering being a season ticket holder to either Y9 or TFC next season. It will be interesting to see what kind of players they bring in and how much the tickets will be. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

To move the supporters section further from the field is just stupid. The one good thing about the track remaining is they wont be going to a turf field next season. I am considering being a season ticket holder to either Y9 or TFC next season. It will be interesting to see what kind of players they bring in and how much the tickets will be. 

Yeah, I definitely like seeing the SG from the main stands.

Season ticket price adjustment is the biggest news here. 

The original unveiling of the prices this season definitely took a lot of wind out of the sales to kick off the league, the adjustments later were too late IMO.  On top of that the plans for the stadium moved around.  

The affirmation of the intents for their own soccer specific stadium is another huge plus.  It shows that ownership has their eyes to the future and have long term plans.  They aren't ready to fold and run for the hills after less than one season as some people here love to imply without any basis.  The market needs Y9 in a true stadium, anything but the best is tough to sell in the area.  Your own stadium sends a message that you are legit.

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

...They aren't ready to fold and run for the hills after less than one season as some people here love to imply without any basis...

This is one reason why it would be a positive if the league really is a single entity as Duane Rockerbie stated recently. Revenues and losses get spread around more and there is less danger of losing the strugglers.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This is one reason why it would be a positive if the league really is a single entity as Duane Rockerbie stated recently. Revenues and losses get spread around more and there is less danger of losing the strugglers.

CPL is not single entity though , its a club owned league.

Revenue sharing is not exclusive of single entity MLS either.

Emulating what MLS did on spreading revenues and losses around would be the rational thing for them to do to avoid having York 9 exit stage right after a single season, due to less than stellar crowds. Finding a point of difference from the MLS style of single entity so that it can be marketed as being different from it and closer to the European club way of doing things would also be rational as well.

15 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Emulating what MLS did on spreading revenues and losses around would be the rational thing for them to do to avoid having York 9 exit stage right after a single season, due to less than stellar crowds. Finding a point of difference from the MLS style of single entity so that it can be marketed as being different from it and closer to the European club way of doing things would also be rational as well.

The USA's Single entity MLS folded in 2002, only thing keeping it going were 2 rich guys being investors in 9 of the 10 teams :

MLS folded for a few days in 2001 and somehow kept it a secret until now

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/12/mls-folded-for-a-few-days-in-2001-and-somehow-kept-it-a-secret-until-now/

Dd-Om9tUwAAGh2k.jpg

Single entity didn't stop the US league from losing teams either.

As for York9's new prices for next year, should bring in bigger crowds and with the new configuration at York Lions Stadium, a better atmosphere.

Edited by CDNFootballer

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

The USA's Single entity MLS folded in 2002, only thing keeping it going were 2 rich guys being investors in 9 of the 10 teams :

MLS folded for a few days in 2001 and somehow kept it a secret until now

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/12/mls-folded-for-a-few-days-in-2001-and-somehow-kept-it-a-secret-until-now/

Dd-Om9tUwAAGh2k.jpg

Single entity didn't stop the US league from losing teams either.

As for York9's new prices for next year, should bring in bigger crowds and with the new configuration at York Lions Stadium, a better atmosphere.

I’m definitely renewing, especially considering the new prices.

Also, can people stop baselessly and stupidly talking about clubs folding? They started talking about it before a ball was kicked, and haven’t stopped cheerleading for it since then! It’s as if some people want it to happen, and by the way, there’s zero evidence to suggest that it will. It’s just strange. 

Yes, MLS did almost fold when it was down to three owners, but the point that seems to be being missed is that it definitely would have folded long before that if it had launched with a conventional one owner one team structure. Duane Rockerbie explained in the podcast interview why single entity helps create more stability in that regard. The reason I hope CanPL has a strong single entity component to its structure is precisely because I don't want to see teams like York 9 fold having been through it as a former London Lasers fan. Not fun to become emotionally invested and then be one and done (twice in the Lasers case although the second incarnation was basically a rebranded CMNT U-23 team subsidized by the CSA to keep the numbers at 6 for the 1992 season after the second local London ownership group had pulled the plug during preseason).

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot