York9 - 2019 Season Thread

https://northerntribune.ca/york9-fc-squad-rotation/

... Isacco states that this level of travel can be tiring, and that’s why he’s stressing that everyone in the club’s 23-man roster must be ready to play. Fans should expect to see significant rotation between the midweek Canadian Championship game and the CPL match against Pacific FC. With York9 second-last in CPL standings, the club will be desperate to secure its first league win, while a two-leg fixture against AS Blainville leaves more room for error...

May 4, 2019 details of League 1 Ontario game between Masters FA vs Pro Stars FC played at L'Amoreaux Park in Scarborough. 

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o024.htm

photos, lineups, and game play in days to come but interviews with both coaches are up now (page down in report).

The interview with Masters head coach Rick Titus should be of interest to York 9 FC fans as I ask him about the different times he's coached Cyrus Rollocks since the age of 10.  

Yeah, 10 days without a game isn't exactly fuel for this thread.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game! It's just a shame that it happens during my kids' bed time. It isn't possible to pause live games on onesoccer for like half an hour is it?

7 hours ago, Blackdude said:

One would argue that everything but a win would help more. 

And there would be even more action if news broke that Brennan encouraged a Canadian player to play for another national team.

We've got that inauspicious league start, so a nice cup run would help for sure. That Blainville crowd was fun last year, looking forward to the game.

Hope to see Murofushi start today. And does anybody know where we could get the injury updates on Cox, Thompson, Di Chiara, Porter, etc?

Edited by ironcub14

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

We've got that inauspicious league start, so a nice cup run would help for sure. That Blainville crowd was fun last year, looking forward to the game.

Hope to see Murofushi start today. And does anybody know where we could get the injury updates on Cox, Thompson, Di Chiara, Porter, etc?

CPL website says that York 9 should be ‘at full health’ for the match. 

This Google Maps view shows a soccer pitch marked onto the field (think they need a bit more run off space on the wings than what is shown here for safety, but we'll see what they do):

https://www.google.com/maps/search/york+university+toronto+on+canada/@43.7752176,-79.5060288,190m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

It is regulation sized but way short of what is recommended for pro level games when it comes to width. Definitely significantly narrower than NYC at Yankees Stadium:

26AF13DB00000578-0-image-a-36_1426459619

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Hi all -

If any Forge co-founders cannot use their free tickets, my kids and I would be happy to take them off of your hands --- at $50 a seat to take my kid (not standing with my children - sorry!), it is completely ridiculously priced and hence why I am sure they aren't selling any seats --- I've spoken to them repeatedly about the ridiculousness of the pricing model to take a family to the game (no kids pricing, or family 4 pack discounts - or something to entice someone to bring the next generation of fans to the game) --- it's ludicrous to have no avenue to take your kid to the game at a reasonable rate ($15-$20 for a kids ticket? - Family of four for less than $100?) --- when I can see the Marlies for $21 a seat in Round 3 of the playoffs (lots of discount codes out there) --- and some of those guys will play in the NHL or have already - none of the CanPl guys are close to the top level of their sport in the world --- and TFC at less than $30 for most games in the Spring (again lots of discount codes out there), and you have an unproven league, in a  makeshift stadium,  you really shouldn't be keeping people out based on price point.  Last I heard from someone who worked in  the head office (within the last 3-4 weeks) is that they had sold no more than 1000-1200 season tickets (now they are closing off sections/"the entire east side", and migrating fans to one side of the stadium - a dead giveaway that all is not well in the ticket office) --- did they think a walk-up crowd was coming until this week (?) with no advertising that I can see in my local area (save for a random bus ad that I've seen maybe twice), and my children's soccer leagues don't even start until after the first game so it's not like they are handing out tickets to the kids to come to the game - CRAZY IDEA, here's a voucher for a free kids ticket, if you buy an adult ticket?! (as an aside -- a $50 discount on a ST for youth leagues does not help those that are wanting to test out the product --- and then if you do buy a ST, move it after you purchase it to a different location entirely!).....but hey, clearly the marketing gurus at Y9 are prepared to sell less tickets at ridiculous prices and hope that the product will magically overwhelm the uninformed public (who will barely see it unless they are a die hard already and bought One Soccer) to come and observe the spectacle - heaven forbid it rains - you will be looking at a solid 200 people in the building tops....

I want to support the product, I bought One Soccer, I even wore my Y9 hoodie today -- not a single comment was made by anyone who saw it....other than "what's that"? --- but they are keeping my kids and I out of the stadium at those rates......

Edited by Team Canada

21 minutes ago, Team Canada said:

Hi all -

If any Forge co-founders cannot use their free tickets, I would happy to take them off of your hands --- at $40-$50 a seat to take my kid (not standing with my children - sorry!), it is completely ridiculously priced and hence why I am sure they aren't selling any seats --- I've spoken to them repeatedly about the ridiculousness of the pricing model to take a family to the game (no kids pricing, or family 4 pack discounts - or something to entice someone to bring the next generation of fans to the game) --- it's ludicrous to have no avenue to take your kid to the game at a reasonable rate ($15-$20 for a kids ticket? - Family of four for less than $100?) --- when I can see the Marlies for $21 a seat in Round 3 of the playoffs (lots of discount codes out there) --- and some of those guys will play in the NHL or have already - none of the CanPl guys are close to the top level of their sport in the world --- and TFC at less than $30 for most games in the Spring (again lots of discount codes out there), and you have an unproven league, in a  makeshift stadium,  you really shouldn't be keeping people out based on price point.  Last I heard from someone who worked in  the head office (within the last 3-4 weeks) is that they had sold no more than 1000-1200 season tickets (now they are closing off sections and migrating fans to one side of the stadium - a dead giveaway that all is not well in the ticket office) --- did they think a walk-up crowd was coming until this week (?) with no advertising that I can see in my local area (save for a random bus ad that I've seen maybe twice), and my children's soccer leagues don't even start until after the first game so it's not like they are handing out tickets to the kids to come to the game - CRAZY IDEA, here's a voucher for a free kids ticket, if you buy an adult ticket?! (as an aside -- a $50 discount on a ST for youth leagues does not help those that are wanting to test out the product --- and then if you do buy a ST, move it after you purchase it to a different location entirely!).....but hey, clearly the marketing gurus at Y9 are prepared to sell less tickets at ridiculous prices and hope that the product will magically overwhelm the uninformed public (who will barely see it unless they are a die hard already and bought One Soccer) to come and observe the spectacle - heaven forbid it rains - you will be looking at a solid 200 people in the building tops....

I want to support the product, I bought One Soccer, I even wore my Y9 hoodie today -- not a single comment was made by anyone who saw it....other than "what's that"? --- but they are keeping my kids and I out of the stadium at those rates......

My TFC season tickets work out to about $20 per game.  

I went to go check out the situation on Ticketmaster. You only have 2 choices: $27 in the GA supporters end or $50 near the Centre line.  There is no in between option.

It looks like they are holding back tickets. 

Also the V's Cup match is priced the same. Figure this match would be at a discount.  

I did manage to see a commercial for York 9 during Serie half time on TLN.  Other then that I don't think this team has much buzz. 

I wonder about the long term viability of this team. I'm not familiar with how deep the pockets of the ownership is.  

1 minute ago, narduch said:

My TFC season tickets work out to about $20 per game.  

I went to go check out the situation on Ticketmaster. You only have 2 choices: $27 in the GA supporters end or $50 near the Centre line.  There is no in between option.

It looks like they are holding back tickets. 

Also the V's Cup match is priced the same. Figure this match would be at a discount.  

I did manage to see a commercial for York 9 during Serie half time on TLN.  Other then that I don't think this team has much buzz. 

I wonder about the long term viability of this team. I'm not familiar with how deep the pockets of the ownership is.  

Yep - my TFC seasons are about the same (maybe about $22per not in Supporters); this is simply stupid pricing things this way and it has been from the beginning, I signed up on day one with my deposit wanting to support the local product (I think I was about number 53 or so), I am their target market - live in the area, have some kids into soccer, go to lots of sporting events with my family, have some disposable income that I spend on soccer already - and everything about their ticketing model was almost offensive to me in it's approach -- it was as if they were already a product/brand that carried weight in this market and they could ask for ridiculous money accordingly for a minor league product; they've literally been selling a bag of magic beans in terms of a stadium even until this week when they started shifting things around again for people who bought seasons tickets earlier in good faith....

They clearly have taken away the entire east side for the whole season on TM; obviously the Blainville match is a better indicator of what was sold, and clearly they filled up whatever STH they have on the West side to make it look "fuller" (tellingly the 400, 500, 600 sections which are more expensive are clearly unsold for the most part beyond the CPL opener, and I highly doubt every single seat in the remaining sections on the West side are all sold too - I guess we will see on Wednesday) - I'm assuming the TV cameras will shoot in that direction to make it look better....unless this ownership is prepared to lose money for at least 5 years to build brand awareness, and literally giveaway tickets (or sell them at much lower rates) if necessary, it will simply die and move to a less competitive sports market than the GTA which will always view this product as more "minor league" than a city like Halifax, or Laval, or Saskatoon would......the list of minor league teams that have failed to take hold in this market and eventually leave is very long, and without deep pocketed owners propping these teams up (MLSE) many more would have died as well.....

On 5/17/2019 at 11:38 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This Google Maps view shows a soccer pitch marked onto the field (think they need a bit more run off space on the wings than what is shown here for safety, but we'll see what they do):

https://www.google.com/maps/search/york+university+toronto+on+canada/@43.7752176,-79.5060288,190m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

It is regulation sized but way short of what is recommended for pro level games when it comes to width. Definitely significantly narrower than NYC at Yankees Stadium:

26AF13DB00000578-0-image-a-36_1426459619

From what i heard, the York Lion pitch is actually below regulation (which is why that friendly with the Italian team was abruptly moved to OSC). But apparently York has a one year excemption from CSA.

5 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I can get tfc tickets for 20 bucks why would i pay more to watch a lower level? I want to support york as a former york lion but i will be passing on going to a game unless they lower prices. 

Yep --- it isn't rocket science to any of us --- except those in the Y9 head office who think they are entitled to make a "profit" out of the gate for an unknown product and have held their ridiculous prices there accordingly (look at Bob Young, he gets it -- this league is a charity at this point for the owners - he gave away the first game knowing it was the one he would most likely sell the most tickets to -- and still there wasn't 20,000 people there with all the hype and free tickets and Hamiltonian's who clearly identify with being from Hamilton more than anyone I know from this neck of the woods identifies as being from York -- I'm from Toronto in terms of my sports fandom and so is everyone else I know who lives in York region for the most part - I support the Leafs not the Richmond Hill Raiders or Aurora Tigers, I support TFC not the Vaughan Azzurri)....sometime you have to read the tea leaves and figure out if it's not selling at $50 maybe trying to sell at $25 would be a better idea (how about bring a kid for free with every adult ticket purchased?)....I understand the whole long-term idea of "if we give them away, then people will never expect to pay" mentality (the Argos use that argument all the time and play to a solid 12,000+ most games these days - so clearly its working for them), which has some merit --- but this a is new product, in a very competitive market, you need to get people into that building anyway that you can -- it's not like you have years of goodwill to fall back on.....

Notice a trend in the responses --- if I can go to a TFC game at $20-$25, why would I go to this league for twice the price? -- out of a sense of "Canadian loyalty"?  I see no other reason they can sell me on, geez I can see the National team play at BMO for much less than $50....the stadium is crappy (no roof, less amenities comparable to a BMO Field), the talent level is lower, the overall perception of the league is much lower, and I'm paying more why? because I have some unrequited sports loyalty to York? more than Toronto? They are nuts, and if they keep this up, this team will be moved within 3-5 years......I'll believe that new stadium is being built in the next 3-5 years when I see it with my own eyes....sadly I think this a league for teams not located near the major markets with MLS teams, and in cities where this minor league will be treated in a major league way -- that's why Halifax (I lived there for 3 years), can go nuts about this league, and a team like the Mooseheads (I loved the Mooseheads too when I was there, and I saw more QMJHL games in those three years, than OHL games in my lifetime here in the GTA in places like Mississauga, Brampton, Oshawa (and even the old OHL Toronto Marlies who I did love to see at the old Maple Leaf Gardens)......if they don't change their tune, it will be Saskatoon in 2023 -  here we come - at least the "Green" will translate well.....ha ha ha.....