York9 - 2019 Season Thread

We won’t fold cos of 1 years results. Tampa Bay in the MLS took a couple years to fold. So did the old Auckland Knights in the A-League.

I also find it stupid that we’d fold because of these reasons in a non-franchise league. If they want promotion/relegation they need to accept some of these things like low attendances.

15 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Yes, MLS did almost fold when it was down to three owners, but the point that seems to be being missed is that it definitely would have folded long before that if it had launched with a conventional one owner one team structure. Duane Rockerbie explained in the podcast interview why single entity helps create more stability in that regard. The reason I hope CanPL has a strong single entity component to its structure is precisely because I don't want to see teams like York 9 fold having been through it as a former London Lasers fan. Not fun to become emotionally invested and then be one and done (twice in the Lasers case although the second incarnation was basically a rebranded CMNT U-23 team subsidized by the CSA to keep the numbers at 6 for the 1992 season after the second local London ownership group had pulled the plug during preseason).

You don't know if MLS would have folded long before that - NASL 1.0 lasted 17 years.

The basic and fundamental component of single entity is that one company owns the league and players, there are no club owners, only investors in a business unit. CPL has no such thing as it follows a different model of a club owned league.

Things like revenue sharing, which can help bottom feeder teams, can be a component of non single entity league's as well.

If the owner is a problem, like MLS's Chivas USA was, no league model is necessarily guaranteed to save it in the end.

York9 seems to have strong ownership and hopefully can grow in the years ahead to be a successful club.

Edited by CDNFootballer

Are you directly involved with the league? I have no idea how you can assert some of these things with such stridency when the available information that is in the public domain is so limited, ambiguous and conflicting. No need to cherrypick your preferred info on this and ignore the stuff like the Duane Rockerbie interview or the Winnipeg Blue Bombers accounts info that Lofty highlighted recently that doesn't neatly fit. It's as clear as mud what's going on at the moment in several aspects of the league's operations.

It also should be obvious why MLS wouldn't have been able to function using the traditional approach once some of the original owners had bailed. Having three owners in total would normally mean having only three teams and that's simply not viable. There are often rumours about Bob Young bankrolling Halifax and/or a Kitchener expansion team. Few people on here seem to ever stop and question how they would get around the conflict of interests that would be involved, if that were to be true.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Are you directly involved with the league? I have no idea how you can assert some of these things with such stridency when the available information that is in the public domain is so limited, ambiguous and conflicting. No need to cherrypick your preferred info on this

:unsure:

On 10/19/2019 at 12:45 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Are you directly involved with the league? I have no idea how you can assert some of these things with such stridency when the available information that is in the public domain is so limited, ambiguous and conflicting. No need to cherrypick your preferred info on this and ignore the stuff like the Duane Rockerbie interview or the Winnipeg Blue Bombers accounts info that Lofty highlighted recently that doesn't neatly fit. It's as clear as mud what's going on at the moment in several aspects of the league's operations.

It also should be obvious why MLS wouldn't have been able to function using the traditional approach once some of the original owners had bailed. Having three owners in total would normally mean having only three teams and that's simply not viable. There are often rumours about Bob Young bankrolling Halifax and/or a Kitchener expansion team. Few people on here seem to ever stop and question how they would get around the conflict of interests that would be involved, if that were to be true.

Once again, and ad nauseam, we've heard from the league itself and its been pointed out to you on multiple occasions with links/quotes given about how CPL is a club owned league and NOT single entity, but you choose to grasp at straws of a recent persons comments who was involved in a study years previous and is not involved with the league.

October 19, 2019  CPL York 9 FC vs HFX Wanderers played at York Lions Stadium. 

All the audio from the post game press conference with HFX Stephen Hart, Christian Oxner, and Juan Diego Gutierrez then York 9 FC with Jimmy Brennan, Luca Gaspartotto, and Ryan Telfer  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york169.htm  

Besides their thoughts on this game, there were also questions about how they saw the season as a whole.  

7 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Once again, and ad nauseam, we've heard from the league itself and its been pointed out to you on multiple occasions with links/quotes given about how CPL is a club owned league and NOT single entity, but you choose to grasp at straws of a recent persons comments who was involved in a study years previous and is not involved with the league.

Not true. It's not just about Duane Rockerbie. I have also pointed out who holds the trademarks for the clubs, and how shirt sponsorships and stadium naming rights are being handled by CSB and pointed you in the direction of some info from a set of accounts released in Winnipeg. I am open-minded as to how significant the single entity component to the league's structure because there has been information that points in both directions. As for taking what David Clanachan says as anything more than marketing spin, bear in mind you are placing great stock on statements made at a time when he was also adamant in interviews that the league would launch with eight teams and would have ten by 2020. Anyway, this has run its course. The reasonable thing to do at this point would be to agree to respectfully disagree.

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not true. It's not just about Duane Rockerbie. I have also pointed out who holds the trademarks for the clubs, and how shirt sponsorships and stadium naming rights are being handled by CSB and pointed you in the direction of some info from a set of accounts released in Winnipeg. I am open-minded as to how significant the single entity component to the league's structure because there has been information that points in both directions. As for taking what David Clanachan says as anything more than marketing spin, bear in mind you are placing great stock on statements made at a time when he was also adamant in interviews that the league would launch with eight teams and would have ten by 2020. Anyway, this has run its course. The reasonable thing to do at this point would be to agree to respectfully disagree.

CSB is owned by the CPL clubs, not a single entity, as has been specifically stated and linked/quoted on this forum and to you. You choose to believe what serves your incorrect narrative once again.

Back on topic :

We’d love him back’: Telfer’s future up in air, Gasparotto plays every minute

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/wed-love-him-back-telfers-future-up-in-air-gasparotto-plays-every-minute

Edited by CDNFootballer

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

As for taking what David Clanachan says as anything more than marketing spin, bear in mind you are placing great stock on statements made at a time when he was also adamant in interviews that the league would launch with eight teams and would have ten by 2020.

Adamant? Not what I recall. Certainly hopeful for 8. But never guarantee-ing it.  Minimum of 6 is what I remember. I think the league has been pretty careful and pretty good with their forward guidance on this and in general. Given that Ottawa pulled the rug from CPL, I don't think we're talking about spin.

Bringing Telfer makes sense for both sides.  According to Transfermarkt he’s out of contract after this MLS season. I can’t see him re-signing for a limited role with TFC after proving what he could do this year. 
CPL proved to be a solid platform for him to get noticed and start playing internationally. Hitting the prime of his career playing time is going to be critical in any contact he signs. 
Another season like this one and he will have a solid track record to garner some international interest. 

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

Bringing Telfer makes sense for both sides.  According to Transfermarkt he’s out of contract after this MLS season. I can’t see him re-signing for a limited role with TFC after proving what he could do this year. 
CPL proved to be a solid platform for him to get noticed and start playing internationally. Hitting the prime of his career playing time is going to be critical in any contact he signs. 
Another season like this one and he will have a solid track record to garner some international interest. 

It really was great for both parties. I certainly hope he comes back to Y9 next year. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

With MLS expanding by 2 more teams surely he could be a fit on one of teams?

You would think... But I think otherwise. As the MLS expands, more and more green cards are given out each year. Meaning more, and more Latinos. 

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I might, I have been thinking about it.  How does the Onesoccer package work?  With a pair of season tickets do you get two subscriptions and can they be split?

Probably one per ticket? We could even but two seats separately beside each other?