York9 - 2019 Season Thread

Interesting bit about York9's business outreach that I stumbled across on their website

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/york9-business-alliance

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cpl-uploads/app/uploads/kw/2018/11/21165843/BusinessAlliancePackage_85x11_NOV18_v5.pdf

tl;dr $3k for 4 club seats + website & program ads, $5-7k for 4 seats at one of the concourse tables + ads

38 companies listed, let's assume it averages to $5k/per, works out to nearly $200k in revenue.

4 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Interesting bit about York9's business outreach that I stumbled across on their website

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/york9-business-alliance

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cpl-uploads/app/uploads/kw/2018/11/21165843/BusinessAlliancePackage_85x11_NOV18_v5.pdf

tl;dr $3k for 4 club seats + website & program ads, $5-7k for 4 seats at one of the concourse tables + ads

38 companies listed, let's assume it averages to $5k/per, works out to nearly $200k in revenue.

Those are really good brands/ companies too.

Looks like York9 might not be sweating the low attendances that much. In their case, it's going to be a marathon to build up their fan base. Should pick up if they end up with their own stadium

21 hours ago, Ansem said:

Those are really good brands/ companies too.

Looks like York9 might not be sweating the low attendances that much. In their case, it's going to be a marathon to build up their fan base. Should pick up if they end up with their own stadium

They basically got many of the companies Greenpark deals with to come on board with York9. For instance, TD is the banker for Greenpark. That's why York9 has the most well-heeled sponsors. Probably Forge would be second.

A source has told me the owners have allocated xx millions of their money for the club. So, talks here of folding due to attendance concerns are premature - more likely to pull the plug because members of the family involved lose interest.

Edited by red card

...a bit like Toronto Italia back in the day where having the backing from sponsors through having the right connections is concerned. There are still approaches they haven't tried yet. Signing a reasonably high profile former Serie A star looking for one last pay day as a player is worth a try to see what happens, for example. Think the main question mark lumbering over the horizon is what York Lions stadium will look like after it gets renovated with artificial turf given that's being done for the benefit of York U varsity teams and intramural programs rather than York 9. Widened unmarked fieldturf could help them, clearly visible painted out permanent football markings wouldn't. 

5 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Black numbered column is the per-match price for year-long STH.

Red/green column is how much more or less a fall-only STH pays

Thanks, without analyzing in detail it seems like a really positive move, glad they responded to the softish fan support with this decision.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks, without analyzing in detail it seems like a really positive move, glad they responded to the softish fan support with this decision.

Yeah, I really have no problem with them lowering prices to try and bring in more people.  Promising price points for next year too if they keep this model.

12 hours ago, zeelaw said:

Remind me what's happening at YorkU again?  Field widening but they are going to turf?  Damn...

http://news.yorku.ca/2019/03/07/york-lions-stadium-track-and-field-course-getting-an-upgrade/

York University will embark on a major transformation of the York Lions Stadium (formerly the 2015 Pan American Stadium) into a multi-use facility with artificial turf and an inflatable seasonal dome to support year-round activities and events....

https://yorkulions.ca/news/2018/5/29/varsity-athletics-lions-stadium-to-be-converted-to-turf-field-with-dome.aspx?path=varsity

...The new turf field will become the official home of the Lions varsity football and soccer teams, and the dome will create an additional 825 hours of indoor programming space during the winter. Use of the facility will include a diverse mix of varsity and campus recreation programs, intramurals, special university events, community activities and rentals to third parties...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

19 hours ago, red card said:

They basically got many of the companies Greenpark deals with to come on board with York9. For instance, TD is the banker for Greenpark. That's why York9 has the most well-heeled sponsors. Probably Forge would be second.

A source has told me the owners have allocated xx millions of their money for the club. So, talks here of folding due to attendance concerns are premature - more likely to pull the plug because members of the family involved lose interest.

I'd assume the retention rate and the usage rate for businesses would be far lower than regular old fans with respect to season seats, that goes without saying. I'm totally happy Y9 got all the business sponsorship money, but anybody here who thinks that relying on that as a long-term viable strategy that makes up for a lack of regular old fans is deluding themselves and/or making excuses for the club. Y9 already has sent out emails to SSHs, asking them to come out and actually use their tickets. I'm glad lots more did so last Sunday and last Wednesday.

I don't mean you obviously btw red card. I just want to say that to anybody that believes that, which I hope is nobody here. We all saw last Wednesday that cheap ticket prices brings all the people out, and I hope we have a far more robust season base of regular old fans next season for sure.

12 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

The grass is not a big loss, especially for fans. What's great is that the pitch is being widened and the track is going to be gone, looks way better on tv and from the main stand.

I think it is, but I'm a football romantic I guess :(.

Absolutely agree about the track being removed.

Edited by zeelaw

53 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I'd assume the retention rate and the usage rate for businesses would be far lower than regular old fans with respect to season seats, that goes without saying. I'm totally happy Y9 got all the business sponsorship money, but anybody here who thinks that relying on that as a long-term viable strategy that makes up for a lack of regular old fans is deluding themselves and/or making excuses for the club. Y9 already has sent out emails to SSHs, asking them to come out and actually use their tickets. I'm glad lots more did so last Sunday and last Wednesday.

I don't mean you obviously btw red card. I just want to say that to anybody that believes that, which I hope is nobody here. We all saw last Wednesday that cheap ticket prices brings all the people out, and I hope we have a far more robust season base of regular old fans next season for sure.

To put that in perspective, that ~200k in business revenue I calculated above works out to about 400 STH at $34/match

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

The grass is not a big loss, especially for fans. What's great is that the pitch is being widened and the track is going to be gone, looks way better on tv and from the main stand.

Are you sure the track is going to be gone? It is still being described as a "multi-use athletics and recreation facility" in one of the links to press releases I posted above.

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Are you sure the track is going to be gone? It is still being described as a "multi-use athletics and recreation facility" in one of the links to press releases I posted above.

I am pretty sure the track will be gone, there is no way they could play American football on the field with the track still there. 

49 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

To put that in perspective, that ~200k in business revenue I calculated above works out to about 400 STH at $34/match

Oh yeah, but the retention rate and the usage rate for real.

As in, how much of that business revenue will keep coming back year after year.

And, how many of the season seats bought with these business partnerships are actually using their tickets and buying some booze and hot dogs or whatever it is at the stadium. I only buy booze so I dont know what food they sell ;)

I honestly just loved the Wednesday game vs the Impact, and I hope we have regular fans keep coming back, they are what's going to drive this club forward.

43 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Ben Z's promised it numerous times, that's all I got, but I don't think he's been the most reliable source at all lol, too biased in all of this obviously.