York9 - 2019 Season Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Y9 need to be better in the final third. 

It must be frustrating for everyone right now, players and coaches. Errant crosses, not being able to find that final pass and lack of finishing have Y9 further down the table than they ought to be.  Brennan and the coaching staff have put together a solid squad that is really exciting to watch.

Don't know why they don't try to shoot games from the other side the field though.

The game experience is great and the club has come out with all kinds of ticket deals which are great.  This club is doing a lot of the right things within the community, it really does have a local feel to it.  I don't have any doubt that once they get out of York University and into their own stadium you will see a stronger marketing campaign for the team.  

On 8/20/2019 at 4:04 PM, ironcub14 said:

Same. Went straight to the point. Reduce ticket prices, spend much more on marketing, with some ideas including TTC, more VIVA, and more malls than Vaughan Mills, don't ignore North York malls/youth clubs, etc etc.

I also said similar things. Let’s hope that they get the message! (I am glad that they appear interested in identifying the challenges facing the club, and maybe shifting strategies) 

I went pretty hard on them as well, I mentioned how they need to market themselves better at York U and should workout some kind of student/alumni discount. Hell I can get TFC tickets for a discount through York why cant I get a discounted rate on Y9 tickets? Makes no sense to me. I see they are giving away 200 tickets to students for a York Lions event coming up. 

When the team had it's announcement party CityTV went there and put it on the news. If I'm not mistaken, they haven't covered the team since (but I'm not a regular watcher). I would hope York 9 have reached out to them to try to urge them to cover highlights of their games at least. It's supposed to be local Toronto news, so it would be nice if they could do that at least on occasion.

Was the survey for SSH? I didn't get one. I've only bought tickets to one game so far. I did get a survey from Forge about my experience at the CONCACAF League game a couple days ago.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:39 PM, Rocket Robin said:

No electric equipment set up over there.  You'd need miles of cables to go around the end zones to connect up.  

Thanks.  Makes sense but games would look better facing a crowd rather than empty seats. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:01 AM, Kent said:

When the team had it's announcement party CityTV went there and put it on the news. If I'm not mistaken, they haven't covered the team since (but I'm not a regular watcher). I would hope York 9 have reached out to them to try to urge them to cover highlights of their games at least. It's supposed to be local Toronto news, so it would be nice if they could do that at least on occasion.

Was the survey for SSH? I didn't get one. I've only bought tickets to one game so far. I did get a survey from Forge about my experience at the CONCACAF League game a couple days ago.

Local highlights would be great for exposure in the market.  

The survey was after the Pacific game.  

Anyone else wondering why Telfer isn't taking penalties?  Seems obvious to me that he should be on the spot.  If Y9 aren't going to fix their sloppiness at the back they can't afford to be missing penalties.

Edited by Stouffvillain

3 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

Anyone else wondering why Telfer isn't taking penalties?  Seems obvious to me that he should be on the spot.  If Y9 aren't going to fix their sloppiness at the back they can't afford to be missing penalties.

Maybe he's not their best penalty taker in practice?

In the 90's Manchester United had plenty of offensive star power, but still often it was their fullback Denis Irwin that would take their penalties.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Maybe he's not their best penalty taker in practice?

In the 90's Manchester United had plenty of offensive star power, but still often it was their fullback Denis Irwin that would take their penalties.

It was that way on most teams I played on growing up.  Very rarely was the star player the best PK taker.  And occasionally it was a quite average player.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:17 AM, Winnipeg Fury said:

Considering making the September 15 match for Valour-Y9.

Would appreciate it if someone someone could PM me over best place to stay etc,.......

Montecassino Hotel is likely your best bet if you want a hotel instead of an airbnb. It's near the Downsview TTC subway station, just a few stations south of the Pioneer Village TTC subway station that's a minute walk away from York Lions Stadium. Good luck.

This is an odd move.  If he was going back to school why not go back a few weeks ago when others did.  Why go about it this way?  It would be more likely that he has found another professional contract.  

Also Telfer gets a call up to T&T for their Nations League matches. What are you all thinking about this?  As good as he has been he wasn't getting a CanMNT call up with the forwards currently available to Herdman but it still stings to see him go to T&T.  Telfer's been one of the top players in the league this year, in my opinion the best outfield player, and will now take up an international roster spot.   

https://canpl.ca/article/york9s-ryan-telfer-earns-trinidad-tobago-nations-league-nod  

1 minute ago, Stouffvillain said:

This is an odd move.  If he was going back to school why not go back a few weeks ago when others did.  Why go about it this way?  It would be more likely that he has found another professional contract.  

Also Telfer gets a call up to T&T for their Nations League matches. What are you all thinking about this?  As good as he has been he wasn't getting a CanMNT call up with the forwards currently available to Herdman but it still stings to see him go to T&T.  Telfer's been one of the top players in the league this year, in my opinion the best outfield player, and will now take up an international roster spot.   

https://canpl.ca/article/york9s-ryan-telfer-earns-trinidad-tobago-nations-league-nod  

Will he take up an international spot though? He’s still Canadian. Anyhow, yes it sucks that he won’t be playing for the CMNT. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

Will he take up an international spot though? He’s still Canadian. Anyhow, yes it sucks that he won’t be playing for the CMNT. 

I'm basing that off the CPL website which now lists Quillan Roberts' nationality as Guyana.  Assuming Telfer sees the field he would have his status changed as well. 

Blackdude and Ozzie have already addressed the question, but it's also in the article. "The Mississauga native will continue to count toward’s York9’s Canadian player quota when fielding a starting XI".

As blackdude mentioned, it's the Canadian Championship that only counts CMNT eligible players as "domestic".