York9 - 2019 Season Thread

6 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

And, how many of the season seats bought with these business partnerships are actually using their tickets and buying some booze and hot dogs or whatever it is at the stadium. I only buy booze so I dont know what food they sell ;)

The $6 footlong hot dog is actually a pretty good deal IMO

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

And, how many of the season seats bought with these business partnerships are actually using their tickets and buying some booze and hot dogs or whatever it is at the stadium. I only buy booze so I dont know what food they sell ;)

People not using their tickets seems to be an issue given the email sent out. For Sunday, there may have been more of an effort to get a warm body in an already sold seat. In one instance, a holder of season tix in 3 different places in the stadium was trying to cajole his relatives from nephews to grandmas to fill the seats. If blood relatives couldn't make it, then anyone six degrees separated were brought into the mix.

It has been a good few days for York 9. Going into the Montreal game I felt like the team couldn't really score goals. Now three games in a row with 2 goals scored. A draw against Montreal and a pair of league wins. They are actually looking pretty good. Hopefully they can keep it up and can contend in the fall season. Looking forward to their shot at an upset in the 2nd leg on Wednesday!

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This should help explain how 500 actual can turn into 1800 announced, because these tickets still count towards the crowd regardless of whether they are actually used or not where a tickets distributed number is concerned.

Thanks if it wasn’t a 45 min drive up there from downtown I would grab some tickets. I still dont get why they are so obsessed with the suburbs and not North York itself. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Thanks if it wasn’t a 45 min drive up there from downtown I would grab some tickets. I still dont get why they are so obsessed with the suburbs and not North York itself. 

I’m not sure if it’s an obsession - to be fair, the club is supposed to be York Region’s club. Though it temporarily plays 1km or so inside Toronto’s boundaries, it’s York Region’s club. It’s a region that has 1.2 MM people living in it, and I get why they’d try to appeal to its several municipalities. I think they might ultimately find more success with attendance if they moved further into (or actually into) York Region itself, and I think that they will eventually. 

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Something else is at play here

*Putting my detective hat*

1. The extend of the renovations that will happen at York Lions Stadium (not the finished product yet) is quite extensive. They would have been better off at the smaller pitch as originally planned for the 1st half season with the crowds they are drawing currently. Thanks to them, the York Lions Stadium upgrade will be ripe for another ownership to set up shop there permanently at some point
  2. Either their marketing team are amateur idiots for ignoring North York or it's being done on purpose. It's clear if they tried harder at going after North York, they could double their attendance without breaking a sweat. As a resident of North York, people actually participate quite heavily in advertised events. I'm comfortable to say that at least 90% (being awfully generous) have no clue about York9 playing at York Lions Stadium
  3. I think there are long term plans for North York for the CPL and they are saving the market for a team that will identify with North York proper.

My guess leans towards North York being saved for future endeavors. If I'm wrong than York9 marketing team are plain idiots, which doubt. Inexperienced? Sure, but ignoring North York with over 650k at a perfect location on top of a subway is either

• Gross negligence
  • Voluntary  

I remember Paul Beirne saying that he saw the GTA as the Greater London area with multiple clubs across multiple divisions. If that's what the league wants long term, it makes sense to save North York for the future. CPL clearly doesn't see TFC II in USL League Two changing that the landscape anytime soon.

Edited by Ansem

Another potential reason could be because they are still planning on building their own stadium in York Region and don't want to actively recruit fans that they will then upset by moving away. People don't like their team being relocated away from them.

Edit: I'll add that if this is their reasoning, I sure hope they aren't looking to hit certain attendance targets at their current stadium before committing to the stadium they hope to build.

Edited by Kent

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://northerntribune.ca/york9-fc-stefan-lamanna/

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stefan-lamanna/profil/spieler/654853

former club was Tindastoll in the Icelandic third division:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tindastóll_(Football)

so his salary demands are likely to have been quite modest.

I was wondering where Piña was. At any rate, I’m glad we got someone to fill out the roster, let’s hope that this guy can make it at this level. This is one of the things I really love about the CPL; Canadians who are on the fringe of the pro game now have a chance. 

On 7/24/2019 at 3:45 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This should help explain how 500 actual can turn into 1800 announced, because these tickets still count towards the crowd regardless of whether they are actually used or not where a tickets distributed number is concerned.

Yes, but Vaughan Soccer Club would have purchased those tickets to distribute.

55 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

York9 needs to do a better job signing internationals. If they replaced adjei wth jordan brown they would be contenders. 

Adjei has a much better strike rate this season than Brown. Brown has 2 goals in 677 minutes of play while Adjei has 3 in 578 (a rate per 90 minutes of 0.27 vs 0.47). Adjei maybe hasn't impressed overall this season, but he certainly has managed to score goals.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Cavalry also have Malonga up top and Escalante out wide. Think they are better examples to invoke for what York 9 should have been trying to achieve in the international transfer market and the key seemed to be not rushing in.

I honestly dont know why Gattas isn’t playing more for York9.