2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

33 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

From the eye test was the best crowd of the season. By the official records the worst. Strange...

Tickets distributed will no doubt be the basis of the announced numbers and fewer of those doesn't have to mean fewer people actually showing up, if they are being distributed to people who are more likely to show up for this particular game. The Impact game is a big opportunity for them to be noticed and make a bit of a splash if they can use their familiarity with playing on the narrow pitch to their advantage in the first leg. The $9 ticket pricing is a good move if it applies to the general sale as well as the season ticket holders. Would be silly to scare away the curious who might get hooked after seeing the team once by making the tickets expensive.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 5/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, Ansem said:

Not sure that playing during mother's day was wise for a new league. Should have had a triple header on Saturday instead.

Outside of the yellow paint (WTF), Clarke Stadium looks better than I expected on TV

I am almost certain that the yellow soccer lines at Clarke Park are a permanent part of the artificial turf that was installed for the 2015 Women's World Cup training pitch. The pointy-ball football guys don't seem to mind permanent soccer lines as long as they are not white. There was a huge line-up of people trying to get through security at the front gate until about the 20-25 minute mark of the FC Edm home opener. There were only TWO security people trying to clear the 1500 to 2000 fans still trying to get in. Also, Edmonton fans are late to arrive in general, especially during the NASL days.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:03 AM, ted said:

It did fill in as the game went on. Anyone know if they had parking issues like Calgary a their first match?

It filled in fairly well by the 30:00 mark. Problems at the entrance gate were worse than the average NASL game. Edmonton crowds are always notoriously late (they have to constantly remind Oilers fans to be in their seats early for "tonight's special pre-game light show," which BTW is almost the same thing every game.) Parking was plentiful (Commonwealth Stadium is next door) albeit relatively expensive ($10), and there is an LRT stop (ie. commuter train/tram) just a five minute walk away.

Edited by YEG Round Baller
Forgot to answer the first question mentioned in the quote.

6 hours ago, YEG Round Baller said:

Edmonton crowds are always notoriously late ...

I don't think that is limited to Edmonton (or sports). Here in Victoria theaters and concert venues are regularly still 2/3 empty 5 minutes before start times. 😂

Couldn't care less about any MLS vs USL vs CanPL thing. I'm happy to see any Canadian pro soccer team succeed regardless of what league they are in. Lots of pro level teams across North America pad their stats with a tickets distributed number, which is why some of the hysterics on here when you dare to point that out in an attendance thread are a bit bizarre. The genuine looking 5836 in Halifax is even better than the raw announced numbers across the various leagues would make it appear and that's something that should be highlighted and shouted from the rooftops, because it shows pro soccer can be made to work in relatively small markets in Canada and that means this league should have a viable way ahead and isn't a rerun of the original CSL.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

With the talk of York 9 's attendance recently, for comparison on other leagues announced attendances, this is how 3094 for the Ottawa Fury Wednesday looks, main seating, about 25 minutes in :

Fury vs Char June 26th 2019 attendance pic.jpg

Thanks - I was wondering what Ottawa looked like after seeing that number.  A pity they don't have the Mediapro deal to sweeten the pot for them.

1 hour ago, Reign said:

At 1800 last night wonder if we will see any lower then that. 

How many other mid-week night games have they scheduled against a TFC match this season?

I'm surprised they are doing this for a league match ... it's been 3 weeks since the last TFC match and a month until the next one - seems easy to schedule around.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

How many other mid-week night games have they scheduled against a TFC match this season?

I'm surprised they are doing this for a league match ... it's been 3 weeks since the last TFC match and a month until the next one - seems easy to schedule around.

Not sure. I’d assume the league schedules the games. If they start scheduling around other sports teams they have to do it for everyone. Such as CFL games. 

All this discussion about league vs cup matches and their impact on attendance.  Really, in the context of a fledgling league with 7 teams, does anyone think there has been enough depth of interest that it really influences the draw at this stage in the league's life?  What new casual fan is going to skip a game vs Edm because it is cup vs attending vs Vic because it is league?

8 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

All this discussion about league vs cup matches and their impact on attendance.  Really, in the context of a fledgling league with 7 teams, does anyone think there has been enough depth of interest that it really influences the draw at this stage in the league's life?  What new casual fan is going to skip a game vs Edm because it is cup vs attending vs Vic because it is league?

None, I cant explain it to my non soccer friends at all.  Let alone pro/reg a season that doesnt end with playoffs crowning a champion.  

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

Well the flip side of this is that Vaughan Azzurri and Blainville packed the house in their matches against CPL teams.

Perhaps fans are more savvy then we give them credit for.