Jayden Nelson

KW519

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

As per UT's point.  Is there any numbers being thrown around?  I dont know diddly do about Rosenberg, but if they are paying cash on the barrel, they must want him and plan to play him.  Which is a positive thing for Nelsens development, as norway isnt a league we should dismiss as below a fringe national team player.  Prob better to go to a situation like that than sit at some B side for a bigger club in a better league eh?  If he really has all this potential, go on a tear in Norway and then think about bigger moves.  

Bob confirmed they are in talks with them

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

As per UT's point.  Is there any numbers being thrown around?  I dont know diddly do about Rosenberg, but if they are paying cash on the barrel, they must want him and plan to play him.  Which is a positive thing for Nelsens development, as norway isnt a league we should dismiss as below a fringe national team player.  Prob better to go to a situation like that than sit at some B side for a bigger club in a better league eh?  If he really has all this potential, go on a tear in Norway and then think about bigger moves.  

There is no number and nothing confirmed. Saying you are talking and twitter comments are not confirmations.

Pretty well the only thing close to being confirmed is how hysterical so many TFC fans are in cases like this.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Well we have TFC's manager acknowledging they are in talks.

So there is something happening 

Edited by narduch

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There is no number and nothing confirmed. Saying you are talking and twitter comments are not confirmations.

Pretty well the only thing close to being confirmed is how hysterical so many TFC fans are in cases like this.

I cannot speak for other TFC fans, but I am just excited there is finally some smoke around Nelson (and hopefully some fire). Maybe you'd prefer we want until we get something more concrete, but transfer news is pretty slow after the flurry of activity we had in January, so I for one am buzzing about these Nelson to Rosenberg links. I am excited to see what he can do in Europe. 

If it doesn't happen, then it's fine. Toronto is still a good place for him, and I believe he'll still get minutes with Toronto. I would prefer to see him move on though. I like his potential and the possible deal here.

Like @Bison44 said, he's a fringe national team player. Some of us may poo-poo those Northern European clubs and leagues but having a fringe player like Nelson go to a strong Scanadavian side like Rosenberg (or Hacken, Aalborg, etc.) as one of their "big signings" (which I assume he would be), is a pretty good indication that Canada is on the come up. 

Hey, I raved about him when I saw him in the Voyageurs Cup final, and TFC fans were mostly shitting on him.

A veteran who's just arrived being paid an astronomical amount has to be more closely monitored than a kid. TFC fans, it's disgraceful the way you've let money and the star system blind you, it's the most ethically vacuous team in MLS.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hey, I raved about him when I saw him in the Voyageurs Cup final, and TFC fans were mostly shitting on him.

A veteran who's just arrived being paid an astronomical amount has to be more closely monitored than a kid. TFC fans, it's disgraceful the way you've let money and the star system blind you, it's the most ethically vacuous team in MLS.

I don't quite understand this but I gather it is about Insigne or Bernadeschi or both. Even then, not sure what you mean when you say a veteran should be monitored more closely. I care way more about Nelson than either of those Italian players.

The parts about TFC being ethically vacuous I don't feel strongly enough to agree or disagree, but if you want to discuss it perhaps the TFC thread is the place to go? 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't quite understand this but I gather it is about Insigne or Bernadeschi or both. Even then, not sure what you mean when you say a veteran should be monitored more closely. I care way more about Nelson than either of those Italian players.

The parts about TFC being ethically vacuous I don't feel strongly enough to agree or disagree, but if you want to discuss it perhaps the TFC thread is the place to go? 

If Bernadeschi could play like he actually cared, exactly what was Insigne's problem again?

But the whole idea that you have to start and play Michael because his daddy is coach, when the guy is ready to retire, how long are folks going to go along with that one?

The very fans who cannot open their mouths about the glaring contradictions conditioning the club economically and on the pitch, should not be decrying losing Nelson or whoever they think is the latest second coming, it is illogical. It is the TFC way of doing things that is pushing Nelson out. 

Is Henry still a TFC player, just curious?

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Meh could always be worse. At least there hasn't been any coverup of sexual assault linked with the club.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If Bernadeschi could play like he actually cared, exactly what was Insigne's problem again?

But the whole idea that you have to start and play Michael because his daddy is coach, when the guy is ready to retire, how long are folks going to go along with that one?

The very fans who cannot open their mouths about the glaring contradictions conditioning the club economically and on the pitch, should not be decrying losing Nelson or whoever they think is the latest second coming, it is illogical. It is the TFC way of doing things that is pushing Nelson out. 

Henry moved to Minnesota. 

I will say that TFC's front office lacks accountability. 

26 minutes ago, narduch said:

Henry moved to Minnesota. 

I will say that TFC's front office lacks accountability. 

Forgot about Henry, odd really. I haven't heard a word about his preseason, not a thing. I mean on this board.

What irks me is that TFC fans and that pandering TO press let them get away with such obviously failed formulas, which in any case really show they think very little of the intelligence of their own fans. And I realise that Whitecaps are far worse, because they are not even trying to compete properly and are fine watching arch rivals suceed. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it's only @InglewoodJack and @Dominic94 who have been critical or shown displeasure over the move, but I think Jack is a Montreal supporter (or at least that's his local team) and Dominic clearly already said his concern was that Nelson could make a stronger move. I am not even sure to what degree he's a TFC supporter. Either way though, not really interested in a TFC-Italian-overspending conversation in this thread. I am all for a Nelson discussion, though.

Speaking of which, I think your characterization of the situation is interesting when you say TFC is "forcing him out". I don't have a problem with that, I just question if that's what's really going on. They played a role in arranging his winter training at Anderlecht, I assume. That would be pretty nice of them for a club that's forcing him out, no? I know what you mean though; they have been blessed with a massive talent pool locally, yet relatively few of them progress to the first team and stick there. 

Nelson going could be a sign of things to come for others, like Rutty.

Let's not forget as well they moved Fraser and Hamilton to Columbus, they moved Chapman to Miami, they moved Schaffleburg to Nashville, they moved Luca Petrasso to Orlando City, they moved Priso to Colorado, etc. Where they struggle is finding upward moves for those going abroad. Laryea is the only one that jumps to mind. Nelson is taking a step down, not even lateral, so I cannot even include him when/if the move happens. 

By comparison, Vancouver sold Davies to Bayern (massive move obviously) and Montreal gave 3 of itss players upward moves by shipping out Mihalovic, Johnston and Kone. I think it's a simple as this: When your best players are expensive veteran players, you're not going to export your best players. Seattle Sounders have the same "problem". They tried to go young once, with Solteldo, but that was a massive failure. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think it's only @InglewoodJack and @Dominic94 who have been critical or shown displeasure over the move, but I think Jack is a Montreal supporter (or at least that's his local team) and Dominic clearly already said his concern was that Nelson could make a stronger move. I am not even sure to what degree he's a TFC supporter. Either way though, not really interested in a TFC-Italian-overspending conversation in this thread. I am all for a Nelson discussion, though.

Speaking of which, I think your characterization of the situation is interesting when you say TFC is "forcing him out". I don't have a problem with that, I just question if that's what's really going on. They played a role in arranging his winter training at Anderlecht, I assume. That would be pretty nice of them for a club that's forcing him out, no? I know what you mean though; they have been blessed with a massive talent pool locally, yet relatively few of them progress to the first team and stick there. 

Nelson going could be a sign of things to come for others, like Rutty.

Let's not forget as well they moved Fraser and Hamilton to Columbus, they moved Chapman to Miami, they moved Schaffleburg to Nashville, they moved Luca Petrasso to Orlando City, they moved Priso to Colorado, etc. Where they struggle is finding upward moves for those going abroad. Laryea is the only one that jumps to mind. Nelson is taking a step down, not even lateral, so I cannot even include him when/if the move happens. 

By comparison, Vancouver sold Davies to Bayern (massive move obviously) and Montreal gave 3 of itss players upward moves by shipping out Mihalovic, Johnston and Kone. I think it's a simple as this: When your best players are expensive veteran players, you're not going to export your best players. Seattle Sounders have the same "problem". They tried to go young once, with Solteldo, but that was a massive failure. 

Very judicious post, better than my ranting.

I know this is a bit out there, but if York Utd were drawing 6000 to a match and were promoting Ontario youth effectively, I am not sure MLSE would be so cavalier about the talent they let go or refuse to mentor.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Forgot about Henry, odd really. I haven't heard a word about his preseason, not a thing. I mean on this board

I think this could open  up a wider discussion on how MLS teams are so secretive and seem to loathe their most hard-core fans. They seem to hate providing fans with info.

I skimmed Minnesota's Twitter feed and I couldn't find any mention or photos of Henry.

TFC are guilty of this too. It's a league wide problem

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I agree he is probably between these two extremes, but I am not concerned with this. He's 20 years old right now. If he can score a half dozen goals and grab a half dozen assists as a 21-year-old playing for a top side in Norway, that's pretty good for a debut season.

Let's look at the top young players from last season so that we can set proper expectations of Nelson (should the move happen):

Hugo Vetlesen - Wikipedia

22-year-old Norwegian who scored 16 goals from midfield and notched 7 assists for runners-up Bodo-Glimt. Earned his first international cap for Norway in 2022

David Datro Fofana - Wikipedia

20-year-old forward from Ivory Coast made his national team debut and earned 3 caps in 2022, off the back of scoring 15 goals for champions Molde. This was enough for Chelsea to buy him in the new year, where he's already made an EPL appearance. 

Casper Tengstedt - Wikipedia

22 year old Danish youth international scored a ridiculous 15 goals and 7 assists in 14 games in 2022 for Rosenberg and what appears to be a half-season of work with the 3rd place team. He was then sold to Benfica in the new year, where he's only played for the B team so far. 

Carlo Holse - Wikipedia

Another Danish youth international (and Rosenberg player) who provided 15 assists and 3 goals from right wing (potentially Nelson's spot). The 23-year-old previously played 27 games for FC Copenhagen and is now entering his fourth season in Norway.  

and finally for some North American flavour...

Sam Rogers (soccer) - Wikipedia

Ex-sounders youth product, born in 1999, just enjoyed a 6-goal season from centre back for Rosenberg. He earned his first cap for the USMNT this January versus Serbia in a 2-1 loss. 

So, there you have it. Considering Nelson has 4 Canada caps (and one goal) at age 20 for Canada, and 45 MLS matches under his belt, I think a 6 goal 6 assist season to start would be a good expectation for us to have, but probably won't be enough for a massive transfer to a club like Chelsea or Benfica. What this does show however that if he can play lights out, such clubs will come calling. 

You know what, that’s fair. I haven’t looked through how those players are doing at their current clubs, but a few moves here are where I’d like to see Nelson go in a few years.

My whole thing is that better teams had shown interest before this, so to finally agree to let the player go, and it’s to Norway is underwhelming. If he can score anywhere near double digit goals next year, from midfield, I think that would catapult him to being our best prospect, unless someone else takes a massive leap.

30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

y whole thing is that better teams had shown interest before this, so to finally agree to let the player go, and it’s to Norway is underwhelming.

We have no idea what level of interest they have shown. If they were unwilling to pay a transfer fee then the move was never going to happen. If they couldn't promise Jayden a certain amount of playing time maybe he rejected the move.

He will sign his papers tomorrow and complete the move.

i am devastated by this move, he once had so much promise… perhaps it is not too late ? Just kidding, i am happy that TFC has taken a direction and is proving itself to be committed to selling off their youngsters and allowing them to develop elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anyone care to guess what Rosenborg will be paying for Nelson? His TFC contract expires at the end of 23. His TM value is 4M and Rosenborg's record transfer in was 2.75M. My guess is they pay between 1 and 2M for Nelson (I'll say 1.25M)

If he only goes for between 1-2 million that has to be considered a loss for TFC.  Werent they previously talking about way more, or is that just the hype train getting away again, ie no one actually was close to offering that?  I guess if you include a sell on clause mb it isnt so bad.