Jayden Nelson

KW519

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

I do wonder how they see him. He likes being a winger because he enjoyed being able to "switch off" for a bit (that's not a good thing lol and we saw how ineffective he could be at times) but he really showed his quality in the middle which is not his preferred position. I think Herdman used him in the middle when he played this past fall for Canada.

I think his future should be as an 8 because forcing him to be "on" all the time is important.

I agree with this. He's a natural winger, but I see him having a higher ceiling as an 8. He has very good footwork and close control for a winger, but I would describe these qualities as being "exceptional" as a central player. The fact he's forced to be switched on at all times in the middle is a bonus. 

With that said, something is telling me he's going to play a lot of wing for them. He's a very rapid player, but he doesn't really have elite speed. He's still fast though, and perhaps the lack of "elite" speed matters less in Norway, I am thinking, so maybe he plays wide out there, in his more natural position. I wouldn't mind that, so long as he gets reps in the middle from time to time. I want to see his game continue to grow there. 

Maybe if he plays as a winger he can rediscover his goal scoring instincts from out wide? He showed that in youth international games, scoring 5 in 9 for Canada, but the level in MLS was simply too high for him to replicate that. Now playing at a lower level, maybe he can learn how to do it once more, against professional players, maybe even learning how not to rely on his speed from out wide and adapting his game accordingly.

I think Nelson has done really well.

3 years ago you could see a raw talent with some pace and trickery but who needed to play against men and put on some weight as a result. He continued to develop over the next year and then finally last year, he was used mostly out of his natural position and still did well. The goal he scored from distance, his pace, dribbling and his ability to win the ball back after losing it - have brought him to another level. To argue that he is better or worse than Osorio is unfair - he's young and played out of position (from RM/RW to CM) and Osorio although very good, will start to age over the next few years...

I honestly think that Nelson has a bright future and I can see him moving on to bigger and better teams in Europe over the next several years. Congratulations Jayden - well deserved! Looking forward to watching him in Europe and with the CMNT.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah I am happy for him.  Always liked him - bought more of his rookies than anyone else lol. 

Where are folks seeing the $4M figure?  I haven’t seen it - but admittedly I am just browsing.  

Transfer Market says his value is $4 million.

But their values are all BS anyways. They should always be taken with a grain of salt

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

Transfer Market says his value is $4 million.

But their values are all BS anyways. They should always be taken with a grain of salt

Absolutely. TM subjective, but so long as everyone gets evaluated with the same measuring stick it can be a useful tool. 

Nelson's TM value jumped to 1M in 2021, if I recall correctly, then in 2022 it exploded to 4M. Personally, I thought 4M was a bit of an overvaluation and this is coming from someone who really rates Nelson. At the same time, I kind of get it. He played well in a ton of MLS minutes last year and has international caps at 20 for a Canada side that just participated in the World Cup and features players like Davies, David, Buchanan, etc. When players are young at 20 their TM values are generally inflated anyway, because "potential" gets factored in. That would be true of the "real" market also. 

30 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Good move for him. 

(Maybe could avoid using the term "stepping stone" for the move and talking about "top 3 leagues" in your first interview, but I guess you gotta back yourself.)

I feel the same in these cases, even though everyone understands that is what it is all about.  Better to stick to the script, like playing European competition, lifting trophies for Rosenborg, being a key part of all that. 

The Lerkendal Stadion is an all-seater football stadium located at Lerkendal in Trondheim, Norway. The home ground of the Eliteserien (2017) side Rosenborg BK, it has a capacity for 21,405 spectators, making it the second-largest football stadium in the country.

Lerkendal opened as a multi-purpose stadium on 10 August 1947, as the main football and athletics stadium in Trondheim.

The oldest of the current stands were built in 1996, along with new lighting. Three more grandstands were built between 2000 and 2002

Full name   Lerkendal Stadion
Location    Trondheim, Norway
Owner        Rosenborg BK
Capacity    21,423
Surface      Desso GrassMaster

6IMOfeW.jpg

vsT8qtR.jpg

mlvAlDg.jpg

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Good move for him. 

(Maybe could avoid using the term "stepping stone" for the move and talking about "top 3 leagues" in your first interview, but I guess you gotta back yourself.)

I noticed in his twitter post he said like “this is the best move at this point in my career”- he can’t be more clear that he’s already thinking about his next move. Which obviously he is, but man… pretend that your lifelong dream was to play for the most iconic team in Norway with the most passionate fans in the entire country.

I do sympathize with players being made to beat around the bush when it comes to their career plans because we all know what’s up.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I noticed in his twitter post he said like “this is the best move at this point in my career”- he can’t be more clear that he’s already thinking about his next move. Which obviously he is, but man… pretend that your lifelong dream was to play for the most iconic team in Norway with the most passionate fans in the entire country.

I do sympathize with players being made to beat around the bush when it comes to their career plans because we all know what’s up.

I know exactly what you are saying.

At the same time, I feel that is okay in this particular situation. For all the history Rosenborg have, selling young players on for profit is a normal exercise for them and other similar clubs. Fans, players and pundits alike know what the deal is and are on the same page, I imagine. If he's good enough he moves on, if not he helps them win the title for as long as he's at the club.

I got the vibe from the Rosenborg interviewer that he wanted to hear of Nelson's future ambitions beyond Rosenborg.

First, he asks Nelson what his goals are for the season, to which Nelson says he wants to learn and play well. Then he asks what his long-term goals are, to which Nelson says, "I want to play in a Top 3 league and Rosenborg can help me with that" (paraphrased quote).

No tension came across in the video, just two men being honest, transparent and realistic. I saw nothing wrong with it. 

I hope they play him centrally. I thought when TFC did that, it was a revelation for him. And the more he played, the better he got both going forward and defending. His engine also improved and he became more aggressive.  Out wide, he just didn’t show a lot as a professional including last year.  I know he is still 20 but don’t think his place is on the wing and if Rosenborg uses him there I fear his development may stall

25 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I hope they play him centrally. I thought when TFC did that, it was a revelation for him. And the more he played, the better he got both going forward and defending. His engine also improved and he became more aggressive.  Out wide, he just didn’t show a lot as a professional including last year.  I know he is still 20 but don’t think his place is on the wing and if Rosenborg uses him there I fear his development may stall

I hope they play him at all, I still think there is a stigma for Canadians playing in Europe.

35 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Ísak Snaer Thorvaldsson is an option for left wing, who just joined the club. Ditto Kristall Máni Ingason, who seemed to join the second half of last season. 

Erlend Dahl Reitan seems to be the top choice at right wing, but got shifted to CB for the 2nd half of the season

Stefano Holmquist Vecchia seems to be another right-wing option, but almost played exclusively at CF

Carlo Holse seems to be the top choice at attacking/centre midfield, but capable of playing on the right wing (and listed as a right winger on wiki)

Considering this, I am going to speculate that Nelson will start at left wing ahead of the Icelandic players, with maybe a view of replacing Holse as the attacking midfielder if he gets sold or needs a break, gets injured, etc. 

image.thumb.png.c2956d4e9280c61fe214b64835bb15e2.png

Edit - I guess it depends on why Retain moved to CB and if that's going to be his permanent position. If so, perhaps we see Nelson at right wing, with one of those Icelandic Internationals taking the left-wing spot.

Edited by Obinna