Jayden Nelson

KW519

59 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If he only goes for between 1-2 million that has to be considered a loss for TFC.  Werent they previously talking about way more, or is that just the hype train getting away again, ie no one actually was close to offering that?  I guess if you include a sell on clause mb it isnt so bad.

Yeah probably a sell-on clause as well

Edited by Bertuzzi44

My first thought is that I'd rather have Deandre Kerr or Kosi Thompson, e.g. someone who isn't a blue chip prospect, head to a team like Rosenborg. Nelson got a ton of minutes last year for TFC in part because of missing players and injuries and because he proved to be quite versatile and the most skilled on the ball of any of the young TFC'ers. I fully expect TFC to have another bajillion injuries this year to older/veteran players since that happens to the team every year without fail (unfortunately with Bradley somehow managing to stay healthy last year, probably because he's too slow now to tackle anyone and get injured in the process), so this seems like a big loss from a TFC perspective, and I'm not convinced that Nelson would develop better at Rosenborg than at TFC for this reason.

My second thought is that I'd still be happy for the kid because he'll probably do well there and move on to bigger things in Europe, and it also gets him out of the Toronto spotlight. I found that last year he became something of a whipping boy for the more ignorant TFC fans on social media - I'm not referring to people who were merely critical of his play as a teenager for TFC, but the dumbass know-nothing nitwits that would constantly call him the world's all-time worst soccer player, not good enough for the CPL, not good enough to play League 1, not good enough to comb his own hair, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Nelson was inconsistent and sometimes made the wrong decision trying something that was too ambitious, but he also showed enough times that he could make some brilliant plays, had some creativity and had very promising skills and technique, but some fans only ever seemed to see the former aspect to his game and never the latter, and also seemed to assume that he was a 26 year old who had already reached his peak rather than ever discussing potential. So it will be nice to read less of that this year, unless I start frequently hanging around Norwegian soccer boards to see if their fans are just as moronic as some of the ones in Nelson's own backyard.

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

My first thought is that I'd rather have Deandre Kerr or Kosi Thompson, e.g. someone who isn't a blue chip prospect, head to a team like Rosenborg. Nelson got a ton of minutes last year for TFC in part because of missing players and injuries and because he proved to be quite versatile and the most skilled on the ball of any of the young TFC'ers. I fully expect TFC to have another bajillion injuries this year to older/veteran players since that happens to the team every year without fail (unfortunately with Bradley somehow managing to stay healthy last year, probably because he's too slow now to tackle anyone and get injured in the process), so this seems like a big loss from a TFC perspective, and I'm not convinced that Nelson would develop better at Rosenborg than at TFC for this reason.

My second thought is that I'd still be happy for the kid because he'll probably do well there and move on to bigger things in Europe, and it also gets him out of the Toronto spotlight. I found that last year he became something of a whipping boy for the more ignorant TFC fans on social media - I'm not referring to people who were merely critical of his play as a teenager for TFC, but the dumbass know-nothing nitwits that would constantly call him the world's all-time worst soccer player, not good enough for the CPL, not good enough to play League 1, not good enough to comb his own hair, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Nelson was inconsistent and sometimes made the wrong decision trying something that was too ambitious, but he also showed enough times that he could make some brilliant plays, had some creativity and had very promising skills and technique, but some fans only ever seemed to see the former aspect to his game and never the latter, and also seemed to assume that he was a 26 year old who had already reached his peak rather than ever discussing potential. So it will be nice to read less of that this year, unless I start frequently hanging around Norwegian soccer boards to see if their fans are just as moronic as some of the ones in Nelson's own backyard.

I think they can get more for Nelson than Kerr and Thompson 

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anyone care to guess what Rosenborg will be paying for Nelson? His TFC contract expires at the end of 23. His TM value is 4M and Rosenborg's record transfer in was 2.75M. My guess is they pay between 1 and 2M for Nelson (I'll say 1.25M)

Probably right, maybe pushing 2.

We are talking about an unbelievably low figure for a guy like that who handled himself maturely beside a couple of Italian internationals--and wasn't worse than Osorio for TFC last year.

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are talking about an unbelievably low figure for a guy like that who handled himself maturely beside a couple of Italian internationals--and wasn't worse than Osorio for TFC last year.

I had initially said 1.75, but revised it down to 1.25 before I posted. Just felt the soon-to-expire contract of his may push down the fee.

He has a year left on his contract. If he isn't a player they think will ultimately make it in MLS or they are unable to negotiate an extension, the time to secure a transfer fee with a sell-on clause is now given he may leave for free on a Bosman for Europe later. The academy is there to always provide a new wave of prospects to provide roster depth, transfer fees, TAM through trades etc as well as the very few who will ultimately be regular starters.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I had initially said 1.75, but revised it down to 1.25 before I posted. Just felt the soon-to-expire contract of his may push down the fee.

Right, but MLSE has proven they don't even care about the money. They overpay here, undervalue there, throw away valuable objects, treat TAM like an enema--but applied to someone else.

I think most here would agree the prices paid for Johnston or Kone corresponded to a real transfer value. I would just like to see market transactions correspond to something realistic, and for me, Nelson is worth over 2 million.

I realise it makes no sense, but I am going to stay with that image, TAM = third party enema.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I like Nelson a lot, but to say that he wasn't worse than Osorio for TFC last year proves that you weren't actually paying attention.

Before the concussion issues, Osorio was producing at an all-star level. 9 goals and 6 assists in just 1690 minutes, which works out out to a goal involvement every 100 minutes (slightly less actually).

He was actually the top Canadian scorer in MLS last year despite missing a lot of the season.

So Nelson not being as good as Osorio last season isn't an indictment on the youngster at all, in fact it shows how well Osorio was playing.

9 minutes ago, RS said:

I like Nelson a lot, but to say that he wasn't worse than Osorio for TFC last year proves that you weren't actually paying attention.

Before the concussion issues, Osorio was producing at an all-star level. 9 goals and 6 assists in just 1690 minutes, which works out out to a goal involvement every 100 minutes (slightly less actually).

He was actually the top Canadian scorer in MLS last year despite missing a lot of the season.

So Nelson not being as good as Osorio last season isn't an indictment on the youngster at all, in fact it shows how well Osorio was playing.

I will agree with this as well.  I really appreciate the strides and progress that Nelson made last season, particularly in the midfield role.  But Osorio was absolutely playing like an All Star last season and surely would have been at the game if he remained healthy.  
Osorio has had some very good stretches of play with TFC over the years but last season when healthy may have actually been his best.  TFC may not have got all the results but they were still a completely different team when Osorio was playing.

45 minutes ago, VinceA said:

And this FO wants 20 million for someone (JMR) who hasn't shown anything close to what Jayden has?

I think they have handcuffed themselves by their over-evaluation of JMR.

A 20 million player needs to be ready to step into the 1st team of a major club basically. JMR isn't ready for that.

Hard not to feel like they have messed up on that totally. From the sales perspective and the development perspective as well. I will contend trying to convert him into a fullback is a mistake.

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

Toronto messing up the handling of a young player? Impossible.

Seven years of pro level training starting with the Academy, playing in L1O in that context then in USL D1 and MLS with four CMNT caps and a transfer to what is arguably the top club in Norway by the age of 20 is messing up the handling?

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Seven years of pro level training starting with the Academy, playing in L1O in that context then in USL D1 and MLS with four CMNT caps and a transfer to what is arguably the top club in Norway by the age of 20 is messing up the handling?

Speaking about JMR. I actually like this move for Nelson. Anywhere but TFC for me for our young Canadians.

Edited by frmr

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

TFC fans are weird.

Big North American Premier League Fan vibe. I would think that if you watch TFC enough to know who Jayden Nelson is, you also know he's a teenager who is still developing. He's not gavi unfortunately, so he's not a worldbeater at 18.

Edited by InglewoodJack

Nice to see the deal cross the line.

Nelson at 4M euros becomes the most valuable player at Rosenborg according to Transfermarkt

The reported 1M fee (well below market value) should only ranks as the 14th most expensive inbound transfer, but the list is not yet updated. That is very good business by Rosenborg. Not great business by Toronto, but better than losing him on a free.

Despite the poor-to-questionable business by Toronto, this actually ranks as the 4th most expensive outbound transfer, which puts into perspective how poor TFC are when it comes to making money in the transfer market. 

From a Canadian perspective, I still think this is a very good move for Nelson. He was near-dominant at the U17 level - can he recapture that in Norway, given the quality of the league is a step down from MLS?

I will stick to my 6G 6A expectation for a satisfactory 2023 season, with anything less being an underperformance and anything over being an overperformance. Let's hope they qualify for Conference. Excited to see what he can do with this opportunity! 

I do wonder how they see him. He likes being a winger because he enjoyed being able to "switch off" for a bit (that's not a good thing lol and we saw how ineffective he could be at times) but he really showed his quality in the middle which is not his preferred position. I think Herdman used him in the middle when he played this past fall for Canada.

I think his future should be as an 8 because forcing him to be "on" all the time is important.

Toronto FC transfer Jayden Nelson to Norway's Rosenborg BK | MLSSoccer.com

Toronto FC have transferred homegrown winger Jayden Nelson to Norwegian top-flight side Rosenborg BK for an undisclosed fee, the club announced Wednesday.

Nelson, 20, is coming off his most successful MLS season, tallying one goal and two assists across 31 games (25 starts).

The Canadian international, who has four senior-team appearances and featured prominently at the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup, originally signed with Toronto ahead of the 2020 campaign.

He placed 20th overall on MLSsoccer.com’s 2022 22 Under 22 presented by BODYARMOR list.

"It has been a pleasure to work with Jayden and see his progress here at his hometown club," Toronto head coach and sporting director Bob Bradley said in a release.

"We knew Jayden always had the ambition to play in Europe, and when the right opportunity presented itself, we worked diligently with the player to secure the move. Jayden joined us as a Homegrown Player, and we are excited for him to take the next step in his professional journey."

Nelson showcased his versatility for Toronto last year, playing both as a winger and central midfielder. Now, the Reds have lost a key piece on the depth chart — proving especially thin in the dual No. 8 roles that Bradley prefers.

At Rosenborg, Nelson will be teammates with Seattle Sounders FC youth product and US international center back Sam Rogers. The club has won an Eliteserien (first division) record 26 titles and regularly competes in UEFA competitions.

Toronto, who have focused on veteran signings this offseason, can utilize the Primary Transfer Window through April 24. Their 2023 campaign begins on Feb. 25 at D.C. United (7:30 pm ET | MLS Season Pass).