Jayden Nelson

KW519

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah if Toronto sells him to a team in Norway after all this BS their entire FO needs to be relieved of their posts.

We pretty much knew from mid last season that this was going to be the clubs new direction.

I guess now we wait for the JMR shoe to drop too.

I just want him to get tons of playing time.  If that is with TFC where I can watch him all the time, then great.  But if that is somewhere else and the alternative was taking leftover sub minutes at a TFC team trying to “win now”, then I am fine with that too.  And a middling European top flight would be a decent alternative to a bigger move that sees him play exactly the same sub/scrap role I want him to avoid.  

3 minutes ago, jordan said:

What BS?

There have been rumors of interested clubs for what seems like 2 years now, and equal rumours that TFC was going to keep him until an offer that swept them off their feet came along. We've heard about Anderlecht, I believe a few other clubs too, so after all of this, they sell their prized asset to a team in Norway...

Also, let's be real- Rosenborg is a step down from TFC, playing time be damned. Rosenborg has a terrible record in Europe, they haven't won their league in 4 seasons, the quality of his weekly competition will be weaker.

It's just crazy to me that a huge club like TFC could take their second best prospect, someone the MLS acknowledged as a top 25 prospect in the league, and not find a club better than a club in Norway. Not a single club in Turkey, Belgium, Championship, Portugal, La Liga 2, Scotland, Greece, hell- even Sweden was interested in Jayden Nelson? Even a crappy Belgian first div team would be better than this. Don't need Nelson going to a team just because they play european football- don't need to watch his team lose to tiraspol 4-0 to see whether he's got game or not.

I don't mind Rosenberg, actually. Norway in general is a good springboard and he should get a lot of minutes. He should also get some European games (probably conference, maybe Europa) and compete for trophies, as they are historically one of the top clubs. I've always said that our players need to get used to winning. It's why I prefer Eustaquio at Porto than Wolves, for example. Wolves play in the better league, but he won't win anything there. He's already won 4 different trophies in Portugal, and he's been there just over 1 year now. Winning matters, I believe. 

Anyway, best of luck to Nelson if the move happens. He's still only 20, so hopefully he has a couple of good seasons, wins a trophy or two, plays some European games, then moves to a better league at the age of 22. I believe the Eredivisie often buys players from Norway, so possibly this could be a step to a club like AZ, Twente, Feyenoord or even PSV/Ajax in a couple of years. 

I have not followed them at all, but I would love it if Nelson helped them to recover their “giant killer” status of years ago. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me but in my head in the late 90s they were regularly knocking off top European powers.
Top flight European league can make a quick jump to a better team/league easier. Hopefully that is the plan.  

Just now, maccaliam said:

I have not followed them at all, but I would love it if Nelson helped them to recover their “giant killer” status of years ago. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me but in my head in the late 90s they were regularly knocking off top European powers.
Top flight European league can make a quick jump to a better team/league easier. Hopefully that is the plan.  

Pretty sure Lars Hirschfeld was their starting keeper when they made the Champions League Group stage (and gave a decent account of themselves, if I am not mistaken). 

Just now, SthMelbRed said:

They got Mourinho sacked from his first Chelsea stint.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew they pulled something significant off, just couldn't recall what it was. 

A bit more on Rosenberg - in the last 10 years they've won the title 4 times, and finished runners-up twice, but their best finish in the past 5 years has been 3rd (twice).

So yeah, they are a bit like Basel - a historical giant domestically but going through a rough patch in recent years. 

11 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I feel like they knocked Inter out of a European competition too. Even just those two would be significant scalps 

They drew Chelsea away 1-1 (probably what @SthMelbRed is referring to) and then beat Valencia away 2-0. Lars started both games. 

2007–08 UEFA Champions League group stage - Wikipedia

They could only manage 3rd, which is still good for a club like Rosenberg, and then in the UEFA Cup (Europa) they fell in the round of 32 to Fiorentina. Pretty good campaign by their standards. 

Even if they just play Europa league group stage that would be massive for Nelson, because he'll probably start against some good teams. Getting ahead of myself though - has to sign first, then has to win a starting spot (which he should do) and Rosenberg will have to improve upon their 3rd place showing last season, which was good for a European Conference league 2nd round qualifying spot. That's where he'll get his taste of European continental football if he signs for them.

Champions of Norway (Molde) get a Champions League 2nd round qualifying spot, by the way 

2022 Eliteserien - Wikipedia

Finally (last point), reminder that Norway is on a summer schedule (like Sweden), so like Cornelius he's probably going to be rusty in the NL window (which he probably won't get called for) but he'll be firing on all cylinders come Gold Cup. Therefore, the move away from North America doesn't really change his 2023 outlook in regard to Canada call ups. 

Edited by Obinna

Having followed Norwegian football a bit, I can only say that Rosenborg is a really big club that has struggled the last number of years with Molde and Bodø/Glimt on top.  Sure there are some bad teams in the lower reaches of the Eliteserien but the same can be said for many leagues, including MLS.  Think it’s a great move with lots of profile.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Sam is so much better for Canada than he is for Hatayspor and I really wish that he was able to get exposure elsewhere- it doesn’t make sense watching the guy play for us that his level is a low end of the table Turkish club.

Hatayspor was a good team when he joined, they just have been ass at replacing their squad as the best players left on free transfers it seems.