League Trophy

Cheeta

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I may not like our league shield but I have faith that it will be changed over time as the league grows in size, prestige and economically. 

I'm sure they are aware of the feedbacks too.

Before this 

Philip_F._Anschutz_Trophy.jpg.2eb55201899b1e8969d6a0b6b9349dd3.jpg

There were these 

1996-mls-cup-trophy-150x180.jpg.f76cdf4c6b91a54981b2dbd07d32875b.jpg1999-mls-cup-trophy-150x180.jpg.daa9b465ee8a160ed3900f50eb9268a1.jpg

That just says to me that we might as well try to get it right the first time. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Naming.   As discussed earlier, Stanley, Grey and Vanier were all Governor Generals of Canada, so either the Payette Cup (current) or a more generic Governor General’s Cup would be possible, as someone suggested.  

Those cups were named so because those people actually donated the cup, so unless Payette want's to fund it I'd say no.

Edited by Stanley
Crappy formatting

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Those cups were named so because those people actually donated the cup, so unless Payette want's to fund it I'd say no.

That may be possible though.   All the other cups are named after male GG’s.  Could be a nice nod to modernity to have a female GG sponsor it and break the trend while still observing tradition. That is as simple as a letter to the GG.  And you never know, the chance to be immortalized in a trophy might be an attractive option if the expense isn’t excessive.  Lord’s Stanley and Grey certainly have achieved  legacy most GG’s can’t claim to have.

But before reaching out, I think we would want to establish league receptivity as @Lofty suggests.  Maybe a formal V’s inquiry to the league admin?

@admin - I know you posted early in this thread that you had brought it up, but would it be worth another try?  

25 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Now that we have seen the beast, perhaps the time is ripe to make an urgently renewed bid for beauty.

That’s what I am thinking.  Any social media reaction I have seen has been largely negative.  We know it is a one year trophy, so still a chance to rectify things.  CPL has to be aware that folks don’t love it.  So let’s see if there is interest (from all parties).  Would be a great V’s contribution to the league - and likely one that no single club supporters group could do alone.  

On 10/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, T_Bison said:

That's really nice. Pity it's going to get broken! :D

THAT would become legend.  And how awesome would that piece look in the trophy case, all Crazy Glued back together and shit.  The lies that would be told.  

"Hey Gramps, what's with the broken clunky thing over there next to It's Holiness The Voyageurs Cup?" 

"Eh?  Broken?  It's not broken.  That's the Runner's Up medal Tristan Borges received in Qatar in '22."

"The other side."

"That's the Golden Boot award Jonathon David got in '26.  You know that."

"No.  BEHIND that one."

"OHHHH.  That's the very 1st Canadian Premier League "playoff" trophy.  North Star Shield they called it."

"Playoff?"

"Yeah.  Back then the powers that be wanted a wee tourney to finish out the inaugural season so the decided the two best teams and let them play a home and away after seasons end.   You know... I was there in Calgary when the thing got smashed in the hotel bar after Forge won it all."

"Forge?  Really?"

"Well it was a long time ago.  Years before they got relegated."

"So how did it get smashed?"

"Ah, just a bunch of sillyness.  Post victory festivities, too much boozing going on for too long.  Place was packed and bouncing.  Players, fans, hotel staff, everyone.  It was great fun.  A whole gang of us are up on the karaoke floor leading a sing along and just as we get to the chorus.  Oh, oh, oh.  SHUTUP AND DANCE WITH ME,  David Edgar.."

"THE David Edgar."

"Yes that one.  He was still playing then.  Anyway, he's got that North Star Shield in one hand and his other arm around me and we do a really big bounce like-everyone-else to punctuate the chorus except, Forge had this striker, Anthony Novac, man couldn't find rhythm to save his life, he's the other side of us, completely out of syn and... just...gets...clocked... with that trophy.  Accident of course but still.  BLAM!  Splits his ear clear in half.  Blood spraying everywhere.  Thought I was going to wet my pants I was laughing that hard."

"Ouch.  Can see how that broke it."

"Welllllll, not quite.  When we managed to catch our breath, everyone was joking about how well built that North Star Shield was.  How even Novak's block head couldn't break it.  So, and you have to keep in mind we were all pretty blitzed by then,  some of us start having a go at the thing."

"Sorry?"

"We, um.  we sorta started head butting it.  Don't look at me like that!  Wasn't just me!  Edgar, Zajac, Forge's manager Smyrn-uff-a luffa-gus.  Some chick from Canmore. The pilot who was flying the charter back to Hamilton the next day.  Everybody.  And so yeah, eventually, you know, that big chunk broke off and with the parade coming up and all, they had to glue the thing back together."

"Gramps, that's crazy.  Insane. LOL.  Wow.  Crazy.  Crazy.  So who's thick head finally broke it?"

"Heh...."

"Is this the reason why Mum doesn't let you take me to the Valour matches?"

"'One of 'em."

Edited by Cheeta

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

@Winnipeg Fury - any ideas?

A few options were posted on the forum.  A vote was held.  Funds were collected.  At that time approximately 40 or so donated (their names are on the forum somewhere).  And the trophy and case were made at a local shop in Winnipeg.

We managed the Voyageurs Cup in the early years.  It wasn't just a trophy.  

What you are talking about is just a straight-up trophy.  Should be easy.  

So, if the league doesn't roll out a surprise trophy next week, I am thinking of two broad options. 

1.  The V's try to crowdfund a trophy that we would then commission and donate to the league.  As noted above, this is a method that has been successful before and would potentially be even simpler this time since it just involves the trophy (and not the supporting tournament)
  2. We petition the Governor General to uphold the longstanding Canadian tradition of recognizing excellence in sport by donating a suitable trophy.  This is a well beaten path - with Cups named after Stanley, Grey, Vanier, and even Clarkson. Not a stretch to think that GG Payette might be open to it.

I like either of these options. 

I know the first step would be to make sure the league is open to the idea of a permanent trophy that builds on the North Star Shield.  It will be given away annually and kept in the winner's trophy case forever,  so I am hoping they would be open to another layer of heraldry to crown the champions.  I am not sure how we would confirm that though - I assume it would have to be someone other than a random V sending an email to league officials. 

So how do we initiate discussion of this idea with the league?

I have a hard time believing that the league after spending millions to start a new league would not be able to afford ( as some here mentioned) a better trophy.  Btw enough with the GG stuff. Let's stop acting like a Dominion (which technically we are) and start acting like a independent nation, but that's a topic for another tread.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

I have a hard time believing that the league after spending millions to start a new league would not be able to afford ( as some here mentioned) a better trophy. 

Yeah, it seems more likely someone actually thought this was appropriate than this was all they could afford.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

I have a hard time believing that the league after spending millions to start a new league would not be able to afford ( as some here mentioned) a better trophy.  Btw enough with the GG stuff. Let's stop acting like a Dominion (which technically we are) and start acting like a independent nation, but that's a topic for another tread.

We are in dif camps on the GG thing.  I don’t think it in any way diminishes our Canadianness to have a trophy donated by the GG, as per the tradition for a long time.   

30 minutes ago, grande said:

I think saying "we want to donate a trophy, because the one you selected is trash" may be the wrong way to go about it...

Perhaps we should consider a trophy to honour the team with the best regular season record?

That ain’t really the tactic I was suggesting.  The fact that  the current one says 2019 on it means it is just a single year trophy.  What is being proposed is a legacy trophy that spans years   

37 minutes ago, Shway said:

Side note: there should be a stickied thread on the history, and donators of this trophy. In the possible event of a new trophy being designed/awarded... the guys and gals who got this started need to be engrained in the history. 

Maybe some of us who donated under nicknames can change it to our real names.

I actually like these as trophies.  I think they’re unique and cool.  

The CPL hit a home run with these awards.  Probably the best awards I’ve seen.  

Imagine Tristan Borges gets all 3 of Golden Boot, Player of the Year and U-21 Player of the Year.  He would have a matched set that would be way cooler than all his generic soccer trophies over the year.  

Brilliant!

Edited by baulderdash77