League Trophy

Cheeta

So, I love this league. I think it is amazing that it was launched, the play has been impressive, and I am optimistic that it is the beginning of something that will become truly amazing in this country in the years and decades to come.  

But this trophy. I imagine it is too late for this year, but I would like to see the league take the feedback (which will be negative) and learn from it.  Get a new cup.  A real cup.  Roll it out at the beginning of next season with the 1st winner retroactively engraved on it. Have a presentation ceremony for Cavalry... I mean whichever team wins it.   Pretend that this glass plate was just placeholder.  And then move on. 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:22 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Shouldn't be a corporate sponsor - at least not as the main name.  Agree with @Ams1984 that an adjective-style spot for a corporate name may be viewed as a necessary evil, but I would far rather the league keep this one area free of corporate advertising - Lord Stanley's Cup being the most obvious example of an untainted trophy.  It isn't the Tim Horton's Stanley Cup.  And yes, no shields please. 

I would be okay with a tribute to a prominent Canadian.  The Terry Fox Cup would be my choice (consider this my official entry in the fan-naming contest).  He is a Canadian with a truly massive and inspiring legacy.  It would also get away from the British nobleman template.  Plus his name is more than a historical footnote in the modern era  - it still has relevance today through work of the charitable foundation - for a cause that pretty much no one can find fault with. 

Plus "Fox's Cup" has a nice ring to it when fan's inevitably shorten it. 

The Fox Cup is looking pretty good now, isn’t it. 

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Wow the North Star Shield looks like they got it personalized at Things Engraved in the mall an hour before the announcement. 

It’s also nice that both teams get participation medals like my daughters soccer team.

This isn’t really a good look CanPL.  Sometimes I wonder who vets these things before they go out.  

Yeah, amateur hour, that. You wouldn't see players in the World Cup final or Champions League final getting silly 'participation' medals, would you? 🙄

I'm surprised there is even so much discussion about the trophy, I really don't care what it looks like as long as Forge win it, it did come up in the discussion with One Soccer guys last night, this is one thing Larson and I agree on, he said it made no difference whether they were playing for a bag of balls!

45 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

For 34.99 you can make your own CPL league trophy in the mall.

5A4FA8E3-6E17-427C-96E3-18673982A2ED.jpeg

8286000C-E7E6-461F-8099-F6D4C502DBD8.jpeg

I see I'm not the only one who visited the Things Engraved website :)

I'm not a fan of the trophy. But mostly because I prefer a cup. 

However it really isn't a big deal. 

They may have deliberately stayed away from a cup -- as much as that is the more traditional and natural choice -- because we already have a cup-shaped trophy for the Voyageurs Cup. Now we can all use the short-hand terminology, "cup" and "shield" and it works very well.

I'm in the its-not-so-big-of-a-deal camp. A new replica/version of the trophy every year is an interesting twist. It could be pretty cool for a club that's won it say 3 times to have 3 of them in their trophy case.

I agree it’s no big deal.  But it is such a simple thing to fix - why not just get it right?

Spend a few thousand dollars to create a sweet cup that will create a legacy.  Sure, no one is going to watch CPL (or not watch it) because of what the trophy looks like, but with such a simple solution that is so easily attainable I see no reason why the league wouldn’t just do it.  

And I agree with the crowd funding idea.  Maybe allow fans to receive a small-scale numbered commemorative trophy for their donation  and I bet you raise some serious coin. 

36 minutes ago, Ivanovski94 said:

I personally like shields/plates over cups. This would be much nicer if all silver with golden accents, etc.. Im not bothered by the glass shield.

IT. IS. NOT. A. SHIELD.

I'd LOVE something that could actually be described as a shield, one of my other hobbies is the SCA.

A cheap glass platter available out of a catalog is uninspiring and embarrassing.

They could have hired an artist, created something meaningful, instead they cheaped out.

9 hours ago, gator said:

I'm surprised there is even so much discussion about the trophy, I really don't care what it looks like as long as Forge win it, it did come up in the discussion with One Soccer guys last night, this is one thing Larson and I agree on, he said it made no difference whether they were playing for a bag of balls!

You're surprised there's so much discussion about the trophy in the "League Trophy" thread?  

You remind me of every person who jumps into a uniform/kit design thread that says I don't care if my team wears pink polka dots just as long as they win.  

Edited by Analog Kid

So, how would we go about actually getting something adopted as a league championship trophy?  I assume there are a few issues - naming, funding, fabrication/commissioning, and of course getting the league on board.  In the bright side, the fact that the current Royal Coaster has 2019 on it pretty much guarantees the slot for a permanent, legacy cup hasn’t been filled yet (unless they reveal one next weekend, in which case all is good).

Design.  Ideas up above include cups, shields, plates, chalices, etc.  I still favour a Cup insofar as it is traditional and lends itself nicely to the base stacking mechanism that allows for a long term legacy.  

Naming.  Some suggestions already.   And the name would obviously be impacted by the design.  I like “Terry Fox Cup” (easily shortened to “Fox Cup”) but may not appeal to hardcore traditionalists.  As discussed earlier, Stanley, Grey and Vanier were all Governor Generals of Canada, so either the Payette Cup (current) or a more generic Governor General’s Cup would be possible, as someone suggested.  There already is a GGC though, so not sure if the protocol of duplicating names.  A Supporter’s Cup would be interesting and a nod to the fans but MLS already has a supporter’s shield so that may be a bit too close.   

Funding.  Could be crowd sourced. I have no idea how much one of these costs. I assume a nice one is a bit pricey  But I am sure you could get enough funding together to make it happen with a nice trophy at the end of the process.  

—————————-

Anyone here who was involved in the creation and adoption of the V Cup back in the day?   It has been done before and we now have a legacy cup trophy for the Canadian Championship. 

Not meaning to harp on about this, but it is such a solvable issue.  And you really only get one crack at it.  

7AE11AE3-9C0A-4BF3-B10A-4A083ECBB996.jpeg