-----------------------------

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette
Governor General of Canada
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A1

Dear Governor-General Payette,

I am writing to you today to ask that you consider the sponsorship, creation and donation of a trophy to crown the winner of the newly formed Canadian Premier League.

This national professional soccer league officially started in the spring of this year, and has now crowned its first champion - Forge FC of Hamilton, Ontario. However, the inaugural trophy that was awarded this year is a single-year trophy that is not intended to establish a permanent and persistent symbol within the league.  While it is an award that will represent years of hard work to the players and staff that lift it, there remains an opportunity to create a trophy that would establish a lasting legacy worthy of this new league.  

This is a significant moment for the sport of soccer in this country.  With the continued trend of more kids registering in minor soccer than minor hockey, soccer has truly become Canada’s game.  The sustained success of our women’s national team over the last decade helped ignite the imaginations of Canadians, who now recognize the monumental achievements of a player like Christine Sinclair. The men’s side is now making waves with exciting players like Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David, who are part of a youth movement that will provide a strong platform for future success.  In seven years, Canada will co-host the world’s largest single-sport event, the 2026 World Cup.  And now, the launch of the Canadian Premier League (a coast to coast league that is “for Canadians, by Canadians”) has built on this inertia and is achieving early success with strong fan and corporate support.   As a long standing fan of the sport, I am happy to say that we seem to be on the verge of a relative golden age for Canadian soccer.

The time is therefore opportune to establish a bold legacy within this new league.  There is a longstanding tradition within Rideau Hall whereby Governors General recognize excellence in Canadian sport - both amateur and professional.  Arguably our country’s most recognizable contribution in this respect was provided by a former Governor General, His Excellency Lord Stanley of Preston, whose name has been immortalized in the hearts and minds of Canadian hockey fans.   For the Canadian Football League, His Excellency Albert Henry George Grey donated what has come to be known as the Grey Cup, which has been awarded since 1909.  His Excellency, Major General Georges-Philéas Vanier donated the Vanier Cup, which has crowned the champion of Canadian University Football since 1965.  And in the modern era, the Clarkson Cup was created by Her Excellency Adrienne Louise Clarkson in 2009 to recognize the winner of the Canadian Women's Hockey Championship.

At this key moment in the evolution of soccer in this country, I ask that you consider the creation of a suitable legacy trophy that could be donated to the Canadian Premier League.  Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Brilliant. Is there a way that lots of us could sign this? 

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 2:25 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I am contemplating pulling the trigger on this letter to the GG:

Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A1

I am writing to you today to ask that you consider the sponsorship, creation and donation of a trophy to crown the winner of the newly formed Canadian Premier League.

This national professional soccer league officially started in the spring of this year, and has now crowned its first champion - Forge FC of Hamilton, Ontario. However, the inaugural trophy that was awarded this year is a single-year trophy that is not intended to establish a permanent and persistent symbol within the league.  While it is an award that will represent years of hard work to the players and staff that lift it, there remains an opportunity to create a trophy that would establish a lasting legacy worthy of this new league.  

This is a significant moment for the sport of soccer in this country.  With the continued trend of more kids registering in minor soccer than minor hockey, soccer has truly become Canada’s game.  The sustained success of our women’s national team over the last decade helped ignite the imaginations of Canadians, who now recognize the monumental achievements of a player like Christine Sinclair. The men’s side is now making waves with exciting players like Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David, who are part of a youth movement that will provide a strong platform for future success.  In seven years, Canada will co-host the world’s largest single-sport event, the 2026 World Cup.  And now, the launch of the Canadian Premier League (a coast to coast league that is “for Canadians, by Canadians”) has built on this inertia and is achieving early success with strong fan and corporate support.   As a long standing fan of the sport, I am happy to say that we seem to be on the verge of a relative golden age for Canadian soccer.

The time is therefore opportune to establish a bold legacy within this new league.  There is a longstanding tradition within Rideau Hall whereby Governors General recognize excellence in Canadian sport - both amateur and professional.  Arguably our country’s most recognizable contribution in this respect was provided by a former Governor General, His Excellency Lord Stanley of Preston, whose name has been immortalized in the hearts and minds of Canadian hockey fans.   For the Canadian Football League, His Excellency Albert Henry George Grey donated what has come to be known as the Grey Cup, which has been awarded since 1909.  His Excellency, Major General Georges-Philéas Vanier donated the Vanier Cup, which has crowned the champion of Canadian University Football since 1965.  And in the modern era, the Clarkson Cup was created by Her Excellency Adrienne Louise Clarkson in 2009 to recognize the winner of the Canadian Women's Hockey Championship.

At this key moment in the evolution of soccer in this country, I ask that you consider the creation of a suitable legacy trophy that could be donated to the Canadian Premier League.  Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Edit : change "has built on this inertia" to "has built on this momentum" 

:)

Hey @Lofty, could you stop posting these trophy images? You've made your point and are starting to move toward the realm of trolling (which I'm hoping isn't your intention). The images don't really add anything to the conversation and just prevent one from continuing further, like the proposed open letter to the league/governor general.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I am contemplating pulling the trigger on this letter to the GG:

Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A1

Love the letter, but I have a suggestion:

Everything considered, the folks at CPL have done a bang-up job over the last 18-24 months, and I feel like they’re really listening to the fans. I’m certain they got the message that this is just not what we, as fans, want/wanted.

My suggestion is to tweak your letter, address it to the CPL, and post it on this board. Let them (give them the opportunity to) either work with the Governor General’s office, or find another worthy Canadian. We know they monitor this board, right?

I would even start the letter with “Dear CPL, we’re pretty sure that you monitor this board, so ...”

And, for what it’s worth, it’s a bit different, but I totally love the EUFA Nations League trophy. Thanks.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd87147ccdf35406c0567cbaed473ff0.jpeg

Anyone know CPL's head office mailing address?

I am going to send the letter jointly to David Clanachan and Governor General Julie Payette asking them to "jointly consider the sponsorship, creation and donation of a new Governor General’s trophy to crown the winner of the Canadian Premier League".

It is just my personal request so I won't pretend it is on behalf of everyone (I know there are some that don't support this idea), but I think it makes so much sense that I don't want to sit on it any longer.

• 7 months later...

I don’t really care about the look of the existing trophy, but I’m here because of the Supporters Shield controversy in MLS. It has me hoping that CPL comes up with a regular season trophy soon so that supporters don’t have to do it and then eventually hold all the power and potentially make questionable decisions. Not sure if others on this board would agree with my hope, perhaps many/most hope that supporters do hold the power, much like the Voyageurs Cup. I will note though that lots of people are laughing at MLS and calling it amateur that they don’t control their own awards.

• 3 months later...

With the CCL being expanded to include two direct spots for CPL entry, I'm really hoping that one spot will be awarded to the CPL Champion and the other awarded to the CPL team with the best overall record for the season. If so, I'm hoping that will see the CPL shift its stance on hardware. I'd re-purpose the North Star Shield to recognize the CPL team with the best overall record (like the MLS Supporters' Shield or the A-League Premier's Plate) and introduce a proper cup/trophy for the CPL Champion. If the league decides to hold fast with the northern-influence to its awards, mayhaps the "Borealis Cup"? 

Edited by m-g-williams