League Trophy

Cheeta

The Canadian Premier League Championship Trophy.

The problem with calling it a "cup" is that this has a well defined meaning in football circles and the CPL is not a "cup" competition.

The European Cup was changed to Champions League when it went from a straight knock out format to initial round robin groups.

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

The Canadian Premier League Championship Trophy.

The problem with calling it a "cup" is that this has a well defined meaning in football circles and the CPL is not a "cup" competition.

The European Cup was changed to Champions League when it went from a straight knock out format to initial round robin groups.

Yet the winner of the UEFA Champions League (the competition) is awarded the European Cup (the trophy).

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yet the winner of the UEFA Champions League (the competition) is awarded the European Cup (the trophy).

I was talking about the name of the competition, not the shape of the silverware!!

20 hours ago, grande said:

Those were all either donated by the GG or (in the case of Vanier) named after the current GG. If we want to follow that, we'd have the Payette Cup (which I'm certainly not opposed to).

Or you could call it the Governor General's Cup and make it timeless.  May be a bit stuffy and British for some, but it does give a nod to tradition and when the league is old and well established it would have a pretty timeless feeling.  

But now that I think of it, it may already be used as a name.

Not for me. Anything more Canadian please. Let's try to stop acting like a Dominion (which unfortunately we still are).

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Or you could call it the Governor General's Cup and make it timeless.  May be a bit stuffy and British for some, but it does give a nod to tradition and when the league is old and well established it would have a pretty timeless feeling.  

But now that I think of it, it may already be used as a name.

• 8 months later...

I'd love to see something unique like the hardware used for Ligue 1 or the A-League (I also thing they should do one piece for the top overall team on the full season and one piece for the winner of the finals). If it's just another generic cup with the Stanley Cup, Grey Cup, Vanier Cup, etc. then I'd see it as a missed opportunity. 

10 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I've heard a lot of Calgary fans calling this the triple even though it's only one trophy, and in reality one competition. How do other people view this?

"Triple" usually implies completely separate season and cup competitions, but I can see the rationale.  If you are going to have two mini seasons and a playoff, and a team wins all three, it isn't entirely unreasonable to claim more than a single claim to fame.  As relatively meaningless as the President's Trophy is in the NHL, it is still a separate accolade than Lord Stanley's treasured chalice and it wouldn't be unreasonable for a team to brag about winning both the regular season and the playoffs.  Not a perfect analog for sure, but I think there are some parallels.