League Trophy

Cheeta

Have to have a bit of silverware at the end of it all don't you?  Otherwise, why would they build trophy cases?

So, physically, what then?  A cup, a chalice, a shield, a plate, a tankard?  Maybe something less traditional?  The players will get their medals of course but what does the club get to hold on to as long as the can merit it?    

And in the long held tradition of these sorts of things who would you like to see donate the thing and thus buy there way into footballing immortality?  A corporate entity seems most likely but how about a prominent citizen or government institution?  Maybe name it in honour of some worthy Canadian, alive or dead. 

Myself?  Don't know.  Just asking as things are getting on but then a-gin what's the rush?  Might be some fun in a bit of fan participation around the whole question as the season gets on.  Could have a reveal party towards season's end and so on, so forth.  You know, should they go that route the CPL shouldn't be afraid to ham it up a bit.   

I saw an article where Clanachan said they were thinking either shield or cup. As far as I am concerned it had better be a stonking big piece of silverware that looks awesome, is hard to lift, but can nevertheless be held aloft once a year in glorious triumph. If it is a shield I'm buying a shotgun and some buckshot cartridges and it will meet an untimely end.

And if it is called the effing Scotiabank Trophy (no slight intended to Scotiabank, just a random corporate sponsor name) I am cancelling my season tickets!

5 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Have to have a bit of silverware at the end of it all don't you?  Otherwise, why would they build trophy cases?

So, physically, what then?  A cup, a chalice, a shield, a plate, a tankard?  Maybe something less traditional?  The players will get their medals of course but what does the club get to hold on to as long as the can merit it?    

And in the long held tradition of these sorts of things who would you like to see donate the thing and thus buy there way into footballing immortality?  A corporate entity seems most likely but how about a prominent citizen or government institution?  Maybe name it in honour of some worthy Canadian, alive or dead. 

Myself?  Don't know.  Just asking as things are getting on but then a-gin what's the rush?  Might be some fun in a bit of fan participation around the whole question as the season gets on.  Could have a reveal party towards season's end and so on, so forth.  You know, should they go that route the CPL shouldn't be afraid to ham it up a bit.   

So, the league champions will be awarded the Silver (Kevan) Pipe? It'd be a great addition to the plumbing inspired silverware for upstart football leagues, since the winner of the Hyundai A-League is awarded a silver toilet seat.

I personally hope it’s a big cup style trophy, no need to reinvent the wheel. If they do end up using a corporate name (so as to generate revenue off the triphy’s naming rights) I’d be fine with it, but ONLY if they have a constant moniker for the trophy that follows the alternating corporate names. Like the Voyageurs Cup, doesn’t matter whether it’s Amway or Tim Horton’s, it’s “X corporate name Voyageurs Cup”

Shouldn't be a corporate sponsor - at least not as the main name.  Agree with @Ams1984 that an adjective-style spot for a corporate name may be viewed as a necessary evil, but I would far rather the league keep this one area free of corporate advertising - Lord Stanley's Cup being the most obvious example of an untainted trophy.  It isn't the Tim Horton's Stanley Cup.  And yes, no shields please. 

I would be okay with a tribute to a prominent Canadian.  The Terry Fox Cup would be my choice (consider this my official entry in the fan-naming contest).  He is a Canadian with a truly massive and inspiring legacy.  It would also get away from the British nobleman template.  Plus his name is more than a historical footnote in the modern era  - it still has relevance today through work of the charitable foundation - for a cause that pretty much no one can find fault with. 

Plus "Fox's Cup" has a nice ring to it when fan's inevitably shorten it. 

I'm not a fan of this attaching prominent people's names to everything that the US is obsessed with. If you ever go to the US Open tennis in NY you will see it is beyond a joke.

Yeah I don't like the prominent Canadian thing. No disrespect to Terry, but you'd think you'd want it from someone who is known for soccer at the very least if you were going that route. 

I'm fine with a corporate sponsor, but it needs to be framed like @Ams1984 states. The corporate name comes before the trophy's proper name. 

Cup is ideal. I would like something like the Stanley Cup - not in shape or resemblance (this needs to be our own) but how it can grow over time and include the names of winning teams. Not necessarily the full roster, but list the Clubs (and maybe coach and captain? I dunno). I just think its nice to see the history of the trophy's winners ON the trophy.

I think we should go with what the V's CanPL fantasy league used: Montagliani Trophy.

We could have a corporate sponsor, if necessary, ie the Canadian Tire Montagliani Trophy.

Shape it like a cup. The smallest cup you can find. Like 250 ml, because as Canadians, we love poking fun at ourselves. Then mount it on a giant block of maple wood to prepare for 100+ years of champions.

Okay, maybe that last part isn't entirely serious. But Montagliani Trophy or Montagliani Cup would be pretty good IMO.

Edited by Rintaran

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

I'm not a fan of this attaching prominent people's names to everything that the US is obsessed with. If you ever go to the US Open tennis in NY you will see it is beyond a joke.

This isn't exclusively a US thing.  Our country's two most prominent pieces of silverware are named after people.

The Stanley Cup is named after Lord Stanley of Preston, the 1892 Governor General of Canada. He purchased the decorative cup in London for 10 guineas (around $50 at the time).

In 1909, then-Governor General Earl Grey donated a trophy to the Rugby Football Championship of Canada. Originally, only teams registered with the Canadian Rugby Union were eligible to compete for the trophy, which subsequently became known as the Grey Cup.

39 minutes ago, Copes said:

Yeah I don't like the prominent Canadian thing. No disrespect to Terry, but you'd think you'd want it from someone who is known for soccer at the very least if you were going that route.

This is usually done for individual recognition awards (e.g. Vezna Trophy, Heisman Trophy, etc) and are named after the people who exemplified the celebrated skillset or accomplishment, bit I can't think of a championship trophy where this is done. 

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This isn't exclusively a US thing.  Our country's two most prominent pieces of silverware are named after people.

Hmm, I don't see where I said it was exclusively a US thing. I just said they have taken it to ridiculousness.

Good point about the Stanley Cup and Grey Cup though. Those certainly caught on.

Edited by dsqpr

I have a question that I admit I have not thought through. Had a Canadian League been around in the 2000s, say arising from the A-League, then I think the Vs Cup would be the trophy. We have an open cup trophy, the Challenge Cup (or whatever it's called). The Canadian Championship has done a piss poor job of using the Vs Cup (sponsored and bastardized by American pyramid schemes). Is there any desire to move the trophies around? Frankly, I'd rather the CPL league champ lift the Vs Cup and something else for the open cup.

I think the Voyageurs Cup is where it should be - awarding the best soccer team in Canada (which was its original purpose). Having it be CanPL only when the three best teams from the country are not in CanPL seems to be against the intent of the trophy. 

Since it's a Canadian thing, why not name it after one of the Governors General? Stanley, Grey, Vanier & Clarkson all have cups with their names on them. Why not call it the Michener Cup after GG Roland Michener

27 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I think the Voyageurs Cup is where it should be - awarding the best soccer team in Canada (which was its original purpose). Having it be CanPL only when the three best teams from the country are not in CanPL seems to be against the intent of the trophy. 

Since it's a Canadian thing, why not name it after one of the Governors General? Stanley, Grey, Vanier & Clarkson all have cups with their names on them. Why not call it the Michener Cup after GG Roland Michener

Those were all either donated by the GG or (in the case of Vanier) named after the current GG. If we want to follow that, we'd have the Payette Cup (which I'm certainly not opposed to).

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I have a question that I admit I have not thought through. Had a Canadian League been around in the 2000s, say arising from the A-League, then I think the Vs Cup would be the trophy. We have an open cup trophy, the Challenge Cup (or whatever it's called). The Canadian Championship has done a piss poor job of using the Vs Cup (sponsored and bastardized by American pyramid schemes). Is there any desire to move the trophies around? Frankly, I'd rather the CPL league champ lift the Vs Cup and something else for the open cup.

The CanPL cup should come from the CanPL supporters groups and season ticket holders.

I talked about this to PB ages ago, I don't think it went anywhere and it is probably too late now. 

Because of Canada's Gold Cup win in 2000.....The Forrest Cup.  

Craig Forrest....'was named tournament MVP and Most Valuable Goalkeeper for allowing a mere three goals and stopping two penalties in his side's five games'.  (from Wikipedia) 

However that could depend on which network gets the CPL TV contract.  

If not Sportsnet  then no way will that be it's name.  

I asked this question at the Forge launch party - at the time they said "it would be something special" or something like that, I can't recall now whether they sounded like there was something actually in mind or not. They also didn't address the second part of my question which was "will we be able to drink out of it".

For me it needs to be a Cup - as beautiful as Stanley's and Grey's, and a singular, definitive cup, not something that has a copy made every year to hand out. But the Champs gotta be able to drink out of it.

The Mobilio Cup, named after Dominic Mobilio :

January 14, 1969 – November 13, 2004

Born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Mobilio was a long-time member of the Vancouver 86ers turned Vancouver Whitecaps. He played 14 seasons beginning with the team in the Canadian Soccer League, later joining the American Professional Soccer League, before finishing up a Whitecap. He retired from the professional outdoor game in 2001.

His 167 goals in 280 games is second for a player in professional soccer in Canada and the United States after the NASL's great Giorgio Chinaglia and his total of 243. He was a six time league all-star (CSL 1988, 1990, and 1991; APSL 1993 and 1996; A-League, 1997); the CSL's all-time leading scorer and 1990 top scorer and MVP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domenic_Mobilio