Axel Desjardins

BLennard

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, very cool! Got to catch the second half and it was pretty nervy... First time Spezia qualify for Serie A in their history! But honestly, unless they have a huge summer haul, can't see them staying up. Still pretty cool! Hope Desjardins gets some playing or goes on loan next season. The fact they gave him his debut in the last game of the season is somewhat promising. Can't wait to see what happens to him, and hopefully Canada soccer move their butts and send some scouts in Italy, cause they've got three promising keepers there!!!

16 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Desjardins club Spezia won promotion today to Serie A. Hope he gets a few games next year.

2 backup  Canadian keepers in Serie A next season (hopefully) with Desjardins and Bologna’s Sebastian Breza.

Seems just a few months ago most thought Crepeau would automatically inherit the CANMNT starter role from Bojan in the near future. This looks a lot less likely now. 

26 minutes ago, costarg said:

Seems just a few months ago most thought Crepeau would automatically inherit the CANMNT starter role from Bojan in the near future. This looks a lot less likely now. 

Based on two backups who never play and we have no idea how good they are ?

i don’t see Desjardins or Breza in the mix at all at this point in time 

Gotta agree on that one. As much as i'm rooting for the guy, can't see him replacing Crepeau yet. Keepers peak at an older age and experience is a huge factor. If Desjardins or Breza don't get any playing time in Serie A, it's a lot worse than getting playing time but in a lower league. I hope both of them go on loan or get transferred next season. 

Still cool to see two young Canucks in Serie A squads. It means they have a minimum of quality.

I think what the Management of the teams decide will be an indicator of how good these kids are. Unlikely, but if either of these guys turns into the number 2 Keeper that would be huge as it guarantees playing time in Serie A. I expect they will be shuffled between third keeper and Primavera teams which would not be a bad place to develop. As mentioned a loan to a team where they would be the starter would probably be best. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, shamrock said:

Read somewhere Spezia were interested in Jeroen Zoet, of PSV and then Dutch national team. If he could get a loan with playing time somewhere I'd got for it. 

And it's done. Spezia have officially signed from PSV Jeroen Zoet, a 29 year-old keeper. But they still haven't resigned Simone Scuffet, who was only on loan for the 19/20 season. All we can hope for is that the new director likes Desjardins, or that he doesn't like him at all. The worst case would be that he doesn't give a crap about Desjardins.

Really hoping he gets some good minutes this season and doesn't just rot on the bench!!

• 4 weeks later...

Axel Desjardins is on the bench today vs AC Milan as third choice keeper. Very slim chance he'll get to play. Spezia's first choice keeper, Zoet, is out injured, so Axel looks to be fourth in the hierarchy when everyone is fit. Really hopes he gets a chance to play this season.

There's still one day left to the transfer window, so I guess we'll know more in the next 48 hours. 

Hello.

I am excited to announce that Axel has been transferred to serie C side Novara, one of the oldest clubs in Italy! 

It's been a complicated couple of weeks with the new coaching staff and the new director, but Axel finally signed the paperwork this morning. A lot of people to thank for the deal, but mostly his agent and his keeper coach from last season, who by the way, won keeper coach for the 19-20 serie B season.

Novara told Axel the starting spot was up for grabs, so it's up to him to earn it. I may be a little biased, but I trust Axel to do what it takes. He has the character to succeed.

Thank you to Spezia Calcio for the wonderful years and for keeping him under their wing for so long. Hope they get to stay in Serie A, and hope Axel gets to play against them in the future. 

New challenge up ahead! Exciting times!

Here is a picture of Axel from this weekend, all smiles with his big beard:

120827419_686354645322057_4504018218473816242_n.jpg

Axel Desjardins' first press conference for Novara Calcio. Of course, it's all in Italian. I can't understand everything, but he's asked about the Spezia promotion to serie A, to which he says it was great. He's also asked about his ambition with the club, to which he responds winning promotion to serie B and wanting to win his place in the squad. He was on the bench last game and will probably be on the bench again for Novara's next game Monday. He wears jersey 31, same as last season.

Got my subscription ready for serie C streaming. Bring on the games!

• 3 months later...

Missed this two days ago, but there was a french article on Radio-Canada about Axel Desjardins. Here is the link: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1761262/soccer-axel-desjardins-canada-italie-spezia-novara

-

Summary for non-french speakers:

Axel always dreamt of playing in the Premier League. He started by playing striker and defence, but moved to keeper because he wanted to wear gloves because he thought they looked cool. He eventually fell in love with the position. He then got recruited by Spezia and moved to Italy when he was 13 and has been living there ever since. It was a hard decision for his parents at first, but that's what Axel wanted. 

He talks about the craziness of the Spezia fans and the promotion. He also knew that, although grateful, the promotion would likely bring his stay in Spezia to an end. They kept on bringing in more experienced keepers and understood he would most likely not be playing at all. And so he left to Serie C side Novara, where he considers this as better opportunity to learn. He says the league is perfect to develop. 

He's then asked about Canada. Axel says he has only been contacted by Team Canada once, in 2018 for the camp, which surprises him. He thinks it's because he left too young for Italy and Canada lost track of him. He then affirms that without a doubt, if the opportunity presents itself, he would gladly represent his country. 

As for the MLS, he says it's not his life goal, and that for now he is aiming to stay in Europe, and play the top level there, and give his best shot at the Premier League. But he also says that he would maybe be open to play in the MLS down the line.

And then the article finished nicely with a quote from him. 'I don't look like an Italian, physically and in my style of play. My home will always be Montreal.'

-

Axel still hasn't played for Novara, and yes I have been watching a few games. The team is clearly lacking some leadership and confidence. Would not be surprised to see him play soon.

• 1 month later...

Axel Desjardins got his first professional career start yesterday in a 2-0 win. Here are the highlights:

Got to screen record the game too. I'll make a video probably later today or tomorrow of all his touches. He didn't make any game changing saves, but he made some good ones and I think, most importantly, he looked comfortable and not out of place. Honestly, been watching a few games on and off, and I've never seen the Novara defense play so well lol.