Axel Desjardins

BLennard

Here you go, had no sound so I put some Debussy. I also missed the first ten minutes of the game, so I have no footage of that time.

It's nothing too amazing, but for a first game at 21 years old in a struggling side, he looked pretty composed. I will continue to watch his games. Still think the kid is one of our better GK prospects. Novara play Sunday at 10:00 am EST.

There aren't many streams around for Serie C, I watch mine on elevensports.it

8 hours ago, BLennard said:

Here you go, had no sound so I put some Debussy. I also missed the first ten minutes of the game, so I have no footage of that time.

It's nothing too amazing, but for a first game at 21 years old in a struggling side, he looked pretty composed. I will continue to watch his games. Still think the kid is one of our better GK prospects. Novara play Sunday at 10:00 am EST.

There aren't many streams around for Serie C, I watch mine on elevensports.it

Thanks for that.  He looks solid and confident.  You usually see a little hesitation from young goalies that aren't getting much time, I didn't spot that at all in his case.  Quick decision making and positioning.  I like this guys chances! 

Game finished 1-1, didn't do much first half, but he did make a mistake on a freekick by coming out too late which almost lead to a goal.

Second half he played a lot better and made 2-3 saves. Conceded a goal on a corner which he couldn't do much about; perfect header in the bottom corner. 

My analysis after two games: Composed, calm and commanding. Really strong and intimidating figure. Maybe a little on the slow side though when it comes to running. But not scared to get into a tackle. Always looks forward for the pass and the counter attack. Positioning is a little off too, especially on set pieces. But he looks like he has the right mentality, which isn't as coachable.

I'd say comparable keepers in his style of play are Joe Hart and Handanovic. He definitely doesn't play like an Italian keeper though.

36 minutes ago, BLennard said:

Game finished 1-1, didn't do much first half, but he did make a mistake on a freekick by coming out too late which almost lead to a goal.

Second half he played a lot better and made 2-3 saves. Conceded a goal on a corner which he couldn't do much about; perfect header in the bottom corner. 

My analysis after two games: Composed, calm and commanding. Really strong and intimidating figure. Maybe a little on the slow side though when it comes to running. But not scared to get into a tackle. Always looks forward for the pass and the counter attack. Positioning is a little off too, especially on set pieces. But he looks like he has the right mentality, which isn't as coachable.

I'd say comparable keepers in his style of play are Joe Hart and Handanovic. He definitely doesn't play like an Italian keeper though.

How does an Italian keeper play? Whining, complaing, and being overly dramatic about everything?

6 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Care to expand on your reasoning for this very intelligent take of yours?

I took it as a joke because the original assertion that there is a certain way that Italian keepers play seems ridiculous to me. But I may be ignorant to the style of Italian keepers since I don’t follow Italian soccer.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:52 PM, Stryker911 said:

How does an Italian keeper play? Whining, complaing, and being overly dramatic about everything?

On 3/21/2021 at 7:36 PM, Kent said:

I took it as a joke because the original assertion that there is a certain way that Italian keepers play seems ridiculous to me. But I may be ignorant to the style of Italian keepers since I don’t follow Italian soccer.

Alright alright guys. Since you've asked. 

Goalkeeping on its own is a different sport, almost an individual sport, where the ultimate objective is not to score more goals than the other team resulting in a win, but rather to prevent the other team from accomplishing their own ultimate objective. Therefore, a gk cannot win a game on his own, but can prevent the other team from doing so. This is the base mentality to have. From there, like all crafts, different people from different demographics have a way of learning and teaching. For soccer goalkeeping, it can be from the foot you jump to the hand to save the ball with to the way you are positioned on the line.

Then, you can also factor in era-defining players, like Buffon in Italy or Neuer in Germany, which can greatly influence the way of coaching in the country of origin. 

Lets take Italy for example. Buffon, WC winner and hero of every Italian in the world, is a typical Italian gk. What's his style of play? He sits back on his line, focuses more on his positioning, anticipates and then reacts. He is a reactive gk. If we look at Musso, Donnaruma and Meret, who are all young Italian gks, they all play this reactive sit back style. Spanish gks also have this similar style of play.

A more proactive and offensive style of gk is the new-school Brazilian one with the likes of Alisson and Ederson.

I mean I can go on and on on different techniques and styles of play, but I ain't down to write a novel. 

The only constant in all the gk styles of play is this:

If you've played any form of serious competitive sports, you know that the real goalkeepers have a few screws loose in the coconut.

Edited by BLennard

Years ago their was an interview with David James were he explained that in England they teach a keeper to always catch the ball. However he was lamenting that in Italy they teach you to punch the ball if you don't think you can catch it.

That is the sort of thing I assumed BLennard was hinting at.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like it was some sort of loan with obligation to buy transfer. Anyways Spezia have way too many keepers ahead of Desjardins right now and what he needs is play time! 

But there are some bad news... Novara have done something which makes them ineligible for Serie C 2021/2022 season. I have looked around and looks like the owner messed up a payment. They have until July 27th to come up with something or else they will be relegated... Hopefully Novara will stay in Serie C as Desjardins looks like he'll be the main keeper going into the season. If Novara get relegated, they become a semi-pro team which makes all the players free agents.

I highly doubt Axel will be playing in Serie D as from what I've seen, he is clearly good enough for Serie C. I can't see another team not picking him up as a freebie.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

TFC have to be looking for new goal keepers. A young American that they have no interest in starting at the senior level, a 34 year old that they value less than Bono and then Bono himself. Not a quality crop of keepers.

I was thinking about this the other day. 3 American keepers on a Canadian side is just odd.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

TFC have to be looking for new goal keepers. A young American that they have no interest in starting at the senior level, a 34 year old that they value less than Bono and then Bono himself. Not a quality crop of keepers.

Oh please no! Until they change and prove otherwise, the young talent needs to move away from TFC not the opposite.