Axel Desjardins

BLennard

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.tuttoc.com/calciomercato/novara-nella-lista-dei-rinnovi-ci-sono-desjardins-e-gonzalez-319158

https://www.tuttoc.com/rassegna-stampa/i-la-stampa-i-novara-tra-sondaggi-e-riflessioni-3-4-a-rischio-taglio-319183

In these articles, it says Axel Desjardins with captain Gonzalez are the two most probable players to make the cut for serie C next season. There are 3 other players who have slighter chances too (all defenders). All the rest are not good enough. It also mentions that Novara are looking at a 24 year old keeper who played in serie C last season. 

Desjardins had a quality season, and made a difference on the pitch. No surprise the media are reporting him as the most likely to resign. 

Edited by BLennard
added an extra link

• 4 weeks later...

BIG NEWS!!!

Axel Desjardins has resigned with Novara for 3 years, until 2025. I think this is huge as he'll be 25 by then. I've seen some reports saying that Novara are aiming to reach serie B next season... I don't think it'll be possible unless something exceptional happens, maybe in two years? Novara have also signed a highly-rated 24 year old Italian gk, which isn't so good for Desjardins's playtime, but they did give Desjardins a 3 year contract, which is pretty rare in serie C. This, at least, means a little something. Seems like the crease will be split between the 2. Novara's first friendly of the season is against newly promoted serie A side Monza, I will for sure be watching that game. 

https://www.novarafootballclub.it/axel-desjardins-e-ancora-azzurro/

Wow a surprise friendly versus Inter Milan today! Didn't see it announced anywhere? Just saw the result and went digging for the highlights. Looks like Desjardins played the first half, and honestly faired pretty well! For a first preseason game with new teammates two divisions lower, big bravo, he held his own I'd say! Maybe bad positioning on the third goal.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Was ready to laugh because inter scored 4 goals but letting in 3 goals against inter considering the team isn’t too bad, lol. He had a couple nice saves. Looked like a beer league team though.

Same. When I saw the result, I was expecting to be disappointed, but not too bad. I think Novara are still building their team, I'm betting they had a few academy players in there to fill in the gaps. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't catch the game but here are the highlights. Second goal looks like a foul, pretty hard hit between the two, hope Desjardins is ok and hope he plays more. I think why he is benched so much is because the other keeper has played over 100 games more in Serie C than Desjardins. They are going for the title and have not lost yet, experience may be valued highly.

• 2 weeks later...

Desjardins was on the bench today for their 4th consecutive defeat in all competitions. Caught the game and wasn't impressed with the goaltending. The instagram post-game post is pretty ruthless. A lot of fans are asking for Desjardins. Hope he plays next game on the weekend, and if he does play, hope he can deal with the pressure. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj54NvNLX4_/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

He wasn't in the starting lineup but was surprised to see him in the highlights. Turns out Pissardo, the other gk, got injured at the 7th minute. From the highlights, he didn't do much and the goal he let in was iffy, but it's always a hard task to come in cold after such a long period of absence. Novara won 2-1. If Desjardins has fully recovered from his injury, he should see a lot of starts in the coming weeks. 

Novara's next game is Sunday morning. I should be available to watch it and will try to keep you guys updated.

35 minutes ago, BLennard said:

He wasn't in the starting lineup but was surprised to see him in the highlights. Turns out Pissardo, the other gk, got injured at the 7th minute. From the highlights, he didn't do much and the goal he let in was iffy, but it's always a hard task to come in cold after such a long period of absence. Novara won 2-1. If Desjardins has fully recovered from his injury, he should see a lot of starts in the coming weeks. 

Novara's next game is Sunday morning. I should be available to watch it and will try to keep you guys updated.

Looks like there promotions chances have sort of collapsed.

Lost 2-1. Not his best performance, but one positive I can say is that no matter the game, his distribution and ball control is always on point. Novara have also signed a 33 year old keeper who won serie C last season, as i think Pissardo is injured for the rest of the season. Unfortunately, although I think he couldn't have done better,  he could have at least looked better. And sometimes just looking better is enough to win a starting spot. He looked pretty disappointed after the game. On to the next!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played on the weekend and made his worst mistake yet by letting a soft ball between his legs, but played really well for the remainder of the game.

I wonder when the senior squad are going to call him up. Serie C is not the MLS, but he's the only one besides Sirois at the moment, getting regular game time from our u23 gks. And his stats have been fairly consistent throughout the last 2-3 seasons, even though he still has a lot to learn. Not one national call-up for him yet is kind of a joke honestly. 

22 minutes ago, BLennard said:

Played on the weekend and made his worst mistake yet by letting a soft ball between his legs, but played really well for the remainder of the game.

I wonder when the senior squad are going to call him up. Serie C is not the MLS, but he's the only one besides Sirois at the moment, getting regular game time from our u23 gks. And his stats have been fairly consistent throughout the last 2-3 seasons, even though he still has a lot to learn. Not one national call-up for him yet is kind of a joke honestly. 

I dont think its a joke at all. 

He clearly isnt replacing borjan, crepeau or st clair. 

Then we have pantemis, sirious, Leutwiler, Breza, Thomas who all have more experience in higher levels of play. 

Then you can add the youngsters like mcgill, odunze, goodman etc who all arguably have a higher ceiling than desjardins. 

30ish games in Serie C is not anywhere near the level of our squad. 
Edit: If hes letting a soft ball between his legs in any CMNT we are in biiiig trouble. 

Edited by Bigandy