Axel Desjardins

BLennard

Toronto FC has a well earned reputation of letting a lot of young talent rot away.  

Until the day comes that they quit playing 30 something journeymen instead of their own academy talent, there are other abundantly good development opportunities for Canadian players these days.  Too much quality dies on the vine at TFC or has to move to get opportunities.

9 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Toronto FC has a well earned reputation of letting a lot of young talent rot away.  

Until the day comes that they quit playing 30 something journeymen instead of their own academy talent, there are other abundantly good development opportunities for Canadian players these days.  Too much quality dies on the vine at TFC or has to move to get opportunities.

If I was from Southern Ontario and had a kid who was a talented footballer, I'd definitely advise them to sign up to TFC Academy if they were under 16. However, I would definitely not let them sign on past the age of 18. At that point, the option of trialing in Europe opens up, or you could try other North American options via a year in NCAA. However, TFC's track record of playing their academy graduates wouldn't inspire enough confidence for me to counsel in favour of signing a pro contract with them beyond 18.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BLennard said:

Any news on Desjardins? Can't find anything on the guy, that's why I haven't posted in a while. The only info I found is that he is a clubless player on transfermarkt... 😔

Can't find anything other than an Instagram post showing him training with Novara in July but he isn't listed on their roster 

Alright so Desjardins has just signed with newly rebranded and reformed club Novara FC (formerly Novara Calcio).

https://www.lastampa.it/novara/2021/11/25/news/nuovo-portiere-per-il-novara-torna-il-canadese-axel-desjardins-1.40960778

It says in the article their starting goalie was injured and since there's a two foreign player limit in serie D, they have to adjust the roster by removing another player from the squad. He is eligible for their next game Sunday. Novara are currently first in the standings.

If he chose to stick with Novara, lets hope it's for game time! 

Now just need to find a serie D stream... lol. I am open to suggestions

On 11/26/2021 at 7:15 AM, BLennard said:

Alright so Desjardins has just signed with newly rebranded and reformed club Novara FC (formerly Novara Calcio).

https://www.lastampa.it/novara/2021/11/25/news/nuovo-portiere-per-il-novara-torna-il-canadese-axel-desjardins-1.40960778

It says in the article their starting goalie was injured and since there's a two foreign player limit in serie D, they have to adjust the roster by removing another player from the squad. He is eligible for their next game Sunday. Novara are currently first in the standings.

If he chose to stick with Novara, lets hope it's for game time! 

Now just need to find a serie D stream... lol. I am open to suggestions

He was on the bench for their match today.

http://www.forzanovara.net/index.php?id=15781

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Is he ingrained in Italy, or would a move to CPL for playing time work? How much does a series D player earn??  Would he be better than Fargo, Silva, Giantopolous, Pawley or some of the other guys we have seen in CPL lately??  Come spring, move back to canada and get a full summer of soccer Alex!!!  

I don't really know why, but Italy has been basically a dead end for Canadian prospects. 

Novara were in Serie A 10 years ago and Serie B as late as 2017. Perhaps they can afford a higher salary for the Serie D level as they try to work their way back up.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, Bison44 said:

Is he ingrained in Italy, or would a move to CPL for playing time work? 

I don't know what's the deal with him playing in Italy, but this was his press conference when he signed last week.

He says something like: I wanted to play for the shirt again. I feel good here. I've been training with the team for a month and when they offered me a contract, I accepted immediately. But it looks like a complicated situation with paperwork since he has no European descendants. He says something about having to win the championship to still have a career in Italy??? Looks like complicated stuff...

Serie D also have a two foreign players policy, so they had to let go of one before signing Axel. And I also read somewhere that teams had to field a minimum of 2001 or younger local players, which Desjardins isn't, but the current two goalkeepers in Novara are... Gonna have to give the coaching staff a real good reason to play him over the other two...

36 minutes ago, BLennard said:

I don't know what's the deal with him playing in Italy, but this was his press conference when he signed last week.

He says something like: I wanted to play for the shirt again. I feel good here. I've been training with the team for a month and when they offered me a contract, I accepted immediately. But it looks like a complicated situation with paperwork since he has no European descendants. He says something about having to win the championship to still have a career in Italy??? Looks like complicated stuff...

Serie D also have a two foreign players policy, so they had to let go of one before signing Axel. And I also read somewhere that teams had to field a minimum of 2001 or younger local players, which Desjardins isn't, but the current two goalkeepers in Novara are... Gonna have to give the coaching staff a real good reason to play him over the other two...

His Italian is excellent!

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

His Italian is excellent!

Yes surprising!!!

it’s funny how reporters try to understand why a foreign 22yo player sticks around for serie D. They asked him if perhaps it’s because he’s romantically attached to a girl

He’s probably just living the life. Soccer might not be his main priority at this point.