Axel Desjardins

BLennard

^ before the arrival of Serie C (or a single Lega Pro), Lega Pro 1 (C1) was at 33 teams and Lega Pro 2 (C2) was at 36 teams...Serie C is 3 groups of 20 so 60 teams...therefore there isnt a big difference in the number of teams at the level above Serie D

Got a couple of things to share...

First of all, on a pretty reputable fan page I follow on instagram, Desjardins has been voted by the fans as their best goalkeeper of 2021 with over 70% of the votes. 

Crazy considering he's only played only 9 games on the calendar year....

His stats on the year are in

serie C : 4 starts / 3 clean sheets / 1 goal conceded

serie D : 5 starts / 4 clean sheets / 2 goals conceded / 1 yellow card

desjardins.png

And then there's this news article who was posted pre-chierie game

https://www.lastampa.it/novara/2021/12/21/news/nelle_mani_di_desjardins_dal_ritorno_al_novara_il_canadese_e_imbattuto-1911682/

quick google translate: 

Vuthaj's numbers are stratospheric, but there is another blue on the right path to excel in a different role: goalkeeper Axel Desjardins. Since returning to Novara, he has not yet conceded a goal. If then to the statistics of 315 minutes as an unbeaten this season we add the score of the last championship in Serie C, it turns out that the Canadian has suffered just one goal out of a total of 675 minutes played with the same shirt. The only opponent capable of beating him has so far been Davide Mondonico in the 1-1 against Albinoleffe on 21 March. Piacenza, Grosseto and Pergolettese, to which Pont Donnaz, Lavagnese, Fossano and Gozzano were added this year, remained dry in front of Desjardins. The goalkeeper "rebutted" in blue in the second half of the Aosta Valley trip with his teammates under 0-2 and then able to grab the equal in numerical inferiority. Three days later the Canadian proved decisive in defending the slightest advantage gained over Lavagnese by saving the guests from a penalty. In the last match with Gozzano he got away with some luck, saved twice by the woods in the fog. Desjardins is proving indispensable for Novara's goal, as he was in the spring. At that time, the Banchieri blues were desperate for saving points. In the four games played by the Canadian they collected 8, approaching the finish line. In this championship three wins out of three have arrived, in addition to the sensational draw in comeback, so Desjardins' overall record at Novara reports 11 goals scored and 1 in the passive. And to think that the 2000 class who grew up in La Spezia was the only player without a team after failing to enroll in the C summer camp. Novara football had redeemed him from the Ligurians for a thousand euros, as stipulated in the agreement with the obligation to make the first official presence. Borrowed from the new club, Desjardins aims at promotion to deserve confirmation among the pros. Tomorrow at 2.30 pm at Piola he will challenge Chieri, fourth best attack of the group with 25 goals. At the same time, Gozzano will play against Borgosesia at d’Albertas and Rg Ticino will be involved in an away match on the Vado field.

18 hours ago, BLennard said:

And then there's this news article who was posted pre-chierie game

https://www.lastampa.it/novara/2021/12/21/news/nelle_mani_di_desjardins_dal_ritorno_al_novara_il_canadese_e_imbattuto-1911682/

quick google translate: 

Vuthaj's numbers are stratospheric, but there is another blue on the right path to excel in a different role: goalkeeper Axel Desjardins. Since returning to Novara, he has not yet conceded a goal. If then to the statistics of 315 minutes as an unbeaten this season we add the score of the last championship in Serie C, it turns out that the Canadian has suffered just one goal out of a total of 675 minutes played with the same shirt. The only opponent capable of beating him has so far been Davide Mondonico in the 1-1 against Albinoleffe on 21 March. Piacenza, Grosseto and Pergolettese, to which Pont Donnaz, Lavagnese, Fossano and Gozzano were added this year, remained dry in front of Desjardins. The goalkeeper "rebutted" in blue in the second half of the Aosta Valley trip with his teammates under 0-2 and then able to grab the equal in numerical inferiority. Three days later the Canadian proved decisive in defending the slightest advantage gained over Lavagnese by saving the guests from a penalty. In the last match with Gozzano he got away with some luck, saved twice by the woods in the fog. Desjardins is proving indispensable for Novara's goal, as he was in the spring. At that time, the Banchieri blues were desperate for saving points. In the four games played by the Canadian they collected 8, approaching the finish line. In this championship three wins out of three have arrived, in addition to the sensational draw in comeback, so Desjardins' overall record at Novara reports 11 goals scored and 1 in the passive. And to think that the 2000 class who grew up in La Spezia was the only player without a team after failing to enroll in the C summer camp. Novara football had redeemed him from the Ligurians for a thousand euros, as stipulated in the agreement with the obligation to make the first official presence. Borrowed from the new club, Desjardins aims at promotion to deserve confirmation among the pros. Tomorrow at 2.30 pm at Piola he will challenge Chieri, fourth best attack of the group with 25 goals. At the same time, Gozzano will play against Borgosesia at d’Albertas and Rg Ticino will be involved in an away match on the Vado field.

Great name for an Italian restaurant in Calgary. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like I missed the game mid-week against Borgosesia. Desjardins played and Novara won 2-0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPudHq6Nlk&t=199s&ab_channel=NovaraFC

They also played against second place Varese today, which they won 1-0. The goal looks a lot like a handball to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvac_xxiRx8&ab_channel=NovaraFC

This makes it 6 clean sheets and 7 wins in 7 starts. Pretty solid start, but he looks like he's in a pretty solid team too.

• 2 months later...

Novara and Axel have just won the title and are moving up to serie C! There are two games left to the season and still some sort of fun playoffs with all the title winners from the 8 divisions of serie D.

Desjardins' stats on the season: 19 games played - 7 goals against / 14 clean sheets / 1 yellow card - 12 wins / 4 draws / 2 losses.

Overall, including last season in serie C, Desjardins' stats are 8 goals against and 17 clean sheets in 23 games. 

I was super busy with work so I didn't have too much time to post here, but I've watched a few games. He for sure has a great team, but as with last season, the defense plays a lot better when he is in nets. He is a strong physical presence and there seems to be a great communication with his defense. Personally, I think serie D was a bit too easy for him. Hope he continues to progress and plays next year in serie C. Still young at 22 for a keeper. Most of the game highlights from Novara are on their youtube channel.

18 minutes ago, BLennard said:

Novara and Axel have just won the title and are moving up to serie C! There are two games left to the season and still some sort of fun playoffs with all the title winners from the 8 divisions of serie D.

Desjardins' stats on the season: 19 games played - 7 goals against / 14 clean sheets / 1 yellow card - 12 wins / 4 draws / 2 losses.

Overall, including last season in serie C, Desjardins' stats are 8 goals against and 17 clean sheets in 23 games. 

I was super busy with work so I didn't have too much time to post here, but I've watched a few games. He for sure has a great team, but as with last season, the defense plays a lot better when he is in nets. He is a strong physical presence and there seems to be a great communication with his defense. Personally, I think serie D was a bit too easy for him. Hope he continues to progress and plays next year in serie C. Still young at 22 for a keeper. Most of the game highlights from Novara are on their youtube channel.

Thank you for taking the time to post updates on him. It’s really appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

His season is over! Spent the last two games in the stands to probably let the other keepers play. Now that Novara have been promoted to a professional league, all the players become free agents. We'll have to see if he resigns with Novara or moves on.... to the CPL maybe?.... Lol that's just me hoping :( I think he is well liked by the fans and the manager, so he should be staying in Novara FC. I'll try to keep you guys updated!

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wonder what exactly foreign players do to survive playing amateur soccer in series D. Like, is this guy working at a grocery store between games?

Id say its like senior league hockey in canada not taken super serious but still mix in practices and games

Well it is still semi-pro, so I'm guessing he has a salary. And usually lower professional leagues have some sort of salary cap, which i'm guessing is not so present in amateur football. They have sponsors and fans at the games so there is revenue too for the players. And Novara is a big club for serie D.

I thought série D was completely amateur, but considering CPL salaries for a (“top”) import player is like $30k, and considering wages in Italy are probably much lower than in Canada, and this is still 4th division, I wonder how they make it happen. I’m always curious if these clubs at least provide housing for their players. If you’re 22, it’s not necessarily the worst deal in the world if your club plays for a flat with some teammates, gives you some grocery money, pays for your game day meals and the rest you’re on your own.

my very in-depth googling right now told me the average salary is around 1,000 euros/month. If lodging is included too, depending on where you’re at in Italy, that’s not incredibly awful.

Edited by InglewoodJack

I don't want to be mr. prejudice, but it is still Italy... I wouldn't be surprised if some players are paid 'bonuses'. But I doubt it's Novara's case as they've just been relegated last season for financial 'mishaps'.