Axel Desjardins

BLennard

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, BLennard said:

Game is at 14:30 ET. Started my shift earlier today to be able to watch this game. I read into the serie C playoff rules, and Novara have to win absolutely, if the game finishes as a draw or loss Verona advances automatically. Desjardins is expected to start.

He is starting. 

I think you can watch it on the One Football app.

20230511_135333.jpg

2-0 at half time for Verona, nothing he could do for both goals. The second goal was an absolute rocket. I mean, Novara missed two sitters but they have not had a proper striker for the entire season. The faith of Novara is outside of Desjardins's control. We're in miracle territory now. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Played the first half today in a friendly against Sampdoria. He let in the only goal of the game. Here's the post game interview of the coach:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvnaNphrdbM/?hl=en

At about 1 minute 10 seconds he talks about the keepers. Since the other keeper played well during the second half, he was asked if it'll be difficult to choose between the two. Says with confidence that 'Deja' is their main man, but that he's very proud of the boys.

Pissardo who was the other starter last season has yet to feature in any friendly even though he's still with the team. Looks like Desjardins will be the main keeper for Novara this season. They got rid of a lot of players and have signed a lot of young guys and the new coach is Desjardins's old teammate if I'm correct. It will surely be a different kind of season with different kinds of ambitions. 

Novara have a friendly against AC Milan coming up next, hopefully it'll be streamed!

Got absolutely annihilated by Chukwueze on the first goal, but faired pretty well until he got subbed off around the 60th minute. 

At 23, he's at the age where he needs to start showing if he can keep up with the other cmnt gks. I feel it's going to be an important season for Desjardins's career.

Edited by BLennard

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, BLennard said:

i think he's just built like a truck, look at those legs on the second pic

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1K-qpttmlC/?igsh=MXAzMTIwM2tpYmtwNQ==

Perhaps you are right but being built like a truck is not great for a goalkeeper.  You need quickness and ability to spring off your feet to make a save in one of the corners of the net.  Being built like a truck inhibits that.  Power doesn’t matter, quickness does. It’s not cross-fit.

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

Perhaps you are right but being built like a truck is not great for a goalkeeper.  You need quickness and ability to spring off your feet to make a save in one of the corners of the net.  Being built like a truck inhibits that.  Power doesn’t matter, quickness does. It’s not cross-fit.

i mean it really depends on the style of play. To name a few great keepers who are absolute units: Alisson, Ederson, Neuer, Di Gregorio, Maignan... if you have the leg power to support it, having a strong and bulky build is even better on 1v1. 

Hell, even Borjan and Crepeau are trucks!