US Virgin Islands-Canada match thread (R)

Blackdude

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Didn't see Davies stand out, but I think he plays better when he gets a chance to actually run, tough to do on a small field with 4 or 5 guys right in front of you.

I think the shrinking of the pitch to the smallest possible size probably cost us about 4 or 5 goals. I suspect USVI also did it to prevent their non-athlete players from tiring as quickly as well as being able to bunker more effectively.

51 minutes ago, TFC07 said:

Professional win for Canada.   

This. 

Never went for the throat and out of control attack. We were always calm and methodical. 

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Game was completely useless from an analytical point of view. I am glad we cap tied a few guys but probably should have been more . Why did Ricketts and De Jong come on? I mean, other than because they were asked to by the coach.

And this.

Also would have preferred to cap tie a couple of others on the bench. Seemed like odd mainly pointless subs for progress of the program. We know what both these players offer and we know likley both will struggle to be at Qatar if we make it. Should have put on some youth for minutes. 

Overall job done satisfactory. Bring on October!

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

This. 

Never went for the throat and out of control attack. We were always calm and methodical. 

And this.

Also would have preferred to cap tie a couple of others on the bench. Seemed like odd mainly pointless subs for progress of the program. We know what both these players offer and we know likley both will struggle to be at Qatar if we make it. Should have put on some youth for minutes. 

Overall job done satisfactory. Bring on October!

Yes would have liked to atleast have seen ZBG cap tied I know he is committed but the fact we were playing USVI he should have played unless Herdman is thinking that he could cap tie the rest of the players in the Dominica game where maybe we will have actual players playing LB and RB, so you can have a player like Davies being more offensive. But still happy to see David make his debut and notch a few goals, as well as Cornelius getting his first start. Millar looked pretty good getting him cap tied with I believe 2 assists. Don't see Busti getting subbed in over Borjan in this game with the year he is having making the champions league and all, even with it being USVI. All in all good job by the team hopefully we can get the rest done in the Dominica game.

^^I suspect those subs were aimed at fulfilling a stated goal of scoring 10.  De Jong came on so Davies could push forward and Ricketts has made a career of scoring on minnows.  You could hear Herdman shouting "2 more!" on the broadcast. I bet if we had already reached 10 we might have seen different subs.

8-0 thrashing in a game where we need to run up the score. David, Millar and Cornelius all cap tied. Good on both accounts.

I know some will wring their hands over Brault-Guillard and Busti not being cap tied yet, but there's another game in a month. Brault-Guillard can be cap tied in October, and Busti can be cap tied any of the next 3 games. Nothing to worry about...

3 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

we should send the Waterloo 11 next time to make it more interesting

Using the MOACA list our Kitchener team wouldn't be half bad.

G: Ricky Gomes

? Ellis-Hayden, Edgar

M:. Harrison Paton, , Ben Paton, Bryce Alderson, Saleh Munir (NCAA)

Plus a few other guys from from K-W United and other NCAA D1 and D2.

We’re going to have quite a playing time crunch when we have to play a credible opponent.

I think we’re going to settle into a 3-5-2 to maximize our talent rather than Herdman’s preferred 4-3-3

Its clear that Piette, Arfield, Osorio are our premier central midfielders and should play 90 every game.  They’re all fully committed in their prime and the backbone of the team.

Our wings would then the set with Davies, Hoilett and it appears Liam Millar backing them up (he looked good today)

Up front the trip of Cavallini, Larin and David looks like they will give teams absolute fits.

There’s depth behind this group too with many good players who won’t get playing time because displacing this relatively young group is going to be difficult.  

Coming off an 8-0 win everyone should be boyant but we legitimately look like a deep and dangerous team right now.

20 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

? Ellis-Hayden, Edgar

Tyler Pasher and Kosovar Sadicki too- this post inspired me to dig this picture up(Tyler and Zach Waterloo region allstars)6a00d8341c465d53ef011570325565970c.thumb.jpg.6493d42bba23329fbd897bfc4c094c5e.jpg

I'm a little disappointed by all this "cap tie" talk.  It reeks of hoarding and lack of respect to the players.  Why cap tie a player you'll never use again?  Not for a positive reason.  I like better the way things seem to be going for the team anyway: come and give yourself to something special coming up.  We want players committed to making the national team as good as it can be.  The rest can try something else.

3 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I'm a little disappointed by all this "cap tie" talk.  It reeks of hoarding and lack of respect to the players.  Why cap tie a player you'll never use again?  Not for a positive reason.  I like better the way things seem to be going for the team anyway: come and give yourself to something special coming up.  We want players committed to making the national team as good as it can be.  The rest can try something else.

I don't see anyone arguing to cap every player possible for the sake of collecting them.  What most have advocated is capping players we see as important parts of out future team.  Busti, Cornelius, ZBG, David, Millar, etc - these are guys that could very much be part of our future squad on a regular basis.   People want them capped to ensure that they are part of our player pool going forward - not to maliciously sabotage their other options.  We all know the focus is now on the future.  With 2026 a given and still a while before the 2022 cycle starts in full, we want to be sure that we have the quality pieces in place.  We aren't just out to collect souls.

42 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Ellis-Hayden, Edgar

Talking about Kitchener-Waterloo, should the be the 8th team in CPL they have lots of talent to chose From

22 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I didn’t want to say anything, but one poster was ecstatic about Millar being captied. That is not only disrespectful to him, who on a number of times stated he would love to play for the country he was born and raised in, but his father too who is a daily poster on here.  

14 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I didn’t want to say anything, but one poster was ecstatic about Millar being captied. That is not only disrespectful to him, who on a number of times stated he would love to play for the country he was born and raised in, but his father too who is a daily poster on here.  

I don't think it's disrespectful. The fact people are ecstatic he'll keep playing for Canada is actually respectful - wouldn't you be thrilled if people were cheering any decision you take? I get your point, but after our history I can also see the joy and collective sigh of relief that we do not have to worry about this young and exciting players. We have stability and security now.

PS - I would not have been in favour of a late, cheap cap to Busti just to tie him. That seems disrespectful, imo.

16 minutes ago, canta15 said:

You may be on the internet where it always seems everyone is disrespectful or negative. 

The other poster may have no idea about the motivations or ties of Millar and was perhaps just excited that it is now officially confirmed he is part of the future of Canadian soccer. 

I think Herdman knows the committment from the players called and I trust everyone knew what the plans were before they were even called, it's great we cap tied 3 important players and we put a bunch of goals by these minnows, somehow I can't come up with much negative to say about the match! 

Archived