US Virgin Islands-Canada match thread (R)

Blackdude

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Wouldn't the same thing be when Honduras and El Salvador fall down like they have been shot when someone brushes them. And then the ref doesn't add any additional stoppage time? That annoys me way more than taking a knee.

No. That would be the football equivalent of a WR or RB faking getting interfered with or face masked to draw a flag.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Wouldn't the same thing be when Honduras and El Salvador fall down like they have been shot when someone brushes them. And then the ref doesn't add any additional stoppage time? That annoys me way more than taking a knee.

No, because taking a knee is totally legal. What you are describing is a failing on the ref's part. Even if it's hard to call a dive and give out a yellow, it should be easy as hell to add more time to the game.

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Or like running the ball to the corner flag and trying to just hold it there instead of making a positive soccer play.

That one was already discussed and I thought pretty well debunked by the fact that the game is still happening. The defence still has a chance to try to get the ball.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

That one was already discussed and I thought pretty well debunked by the fact that the game is still happening. The defence still has a chance to try to get the ball.

Well technically the game is still happening on a knee play so I think it’s a valid comparison.  Teams can (and do) still try to jump the line sometimes. 

21 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Well technically the game is still happening on a knee play so I think it’s a valid comparison.  Teams can (and do) still try to jump the line sometimes. 

it's only technically because the team kill the play right away. I've never seen a team being able to stop the kneeling. Maybe there's some examples out there but I would feel it's extremely rare.

On the other side, I've seen many teams being able to recover the ball from a team using the corner flag tactic.

After the first kneel down the clock is running so technically the play is running. There's also the ball exchange between C and QB on the snap which must be made cleanly.

Fact is the other team had 58+ minutes of game time plus 3 TO's in the 2nd half to alter the course of the game and i have no remorse for them or qualms about a team efficiently closing out a game within the rules.

50 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Any ideas how cards will work in the tournament?  I’m guessing yellows will carry through the round? De Jong was the only carded player I believe.

Not sure in terms of suspension but Fair Play points is one of the possible tiebreakers.

I thought De Jong's yellow was b.s. by the way.

10 hours ago, Keegan said:

I don’t mind the taking a knee thing at the end of games, but it’s not really in play (after the knee has gone down and before the next snap). For example, after the last knee with the clock still running the teams, coaching staff, and reporters storm the field to shake hands, get interviews etc. That’s not something you can do when a play is happening.

Anyways, sorry everybody for extending this tangent further.

19 hours ago, Kent said:

I don’t mind the taking a knee thing at the end of games, but it’s not really in play (after the knee has gone down and before the next snap). For example, after the last knee with the clock still running the teams, coaching staff, and reporters storm the field to shake hands, get interviews etc. That’s not something you can do when a play is happening.

Anyways, sorry everybody for extending this tangent further.

I don't mind the kneeling in football. I can't think of an obvious way to stop it that can't be gamed (although I admit I haven't thought about it too hard). The phenomenon forces you to stop them on defence and to not be stupid with your time outs throughout the half. I certainly find it preferable to the end of a basketball game where fouling the opposition, aka cheating, is the optimal strategy.

And I actually like it when the coaches, teams, reporters, etc. run out onto the field when there's still a little time left. It is something unique to football and looks kinda cool.

Anyway, I am not sorry for extending this tangent further. It is probably more interesting to talk about than the result of the USVI game. ?

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, Kent said:

We win 8-0 and you think that confirms that we called the wrong players? We don’t know what would have happened if we called a U20 team. We might have ended up with a draw for all we know, and then we are really in trouble in terms of qualifying for League A.

And an honest question to you and everyone else lamenting that we didn’t cap tie Busti or ZBG, have you guys watched these players play? They are both in youth setups still, do we really know what we are or are not missing? It would have been nice to see them play (although even if Busti was on the field we wouldn’t have seen him play), but let’s not make this a bigger deal than it is. We will probably see them in Toronto or in U20 WCQ, in the next couple months.

1) Sorry I meant a U22 (U23, Tokyo 2020 qualifying next year) team.

2) Yes; a ridiculously easy win against a very weak team in the furthest thing from a hostile environment means that there was no real challenge and that the players learned little.

My point is, if we had kept the starting lineup we played with (minus Borjan - and played Busti instead), and had used our 3 subs on only U22 players, we would have been better served. We might only have won 6-0, or, if Busti had somehow majorly f-ed up 6-1. But it would at least have been a stepping stone for some young guys to get them ready for future key moments.

Once the win was in the bag in the first half (we were up 5-0), tell me, what did our 3 veteran subs (Larin, Ricketts & De Jong) actually learn from this game about tactics and gameplay that they didn't already know? Seriously?

Waste. Of. Fucking. Time.

Herdman should have had 3 young guys, eager to prove themselves, ready to come in, to play from at least from the 55th minute.

44 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) Sorry I meant a U22 (U23, Tokyo 2020 qualifying next year) team.

2) Yes; a ridiculously easy win against a very weak team in the furthest thing from a hostile environment means that there was no real challenge and that the players learned little.

My point is, if we had kept the starting lineup we played with (minus Borjan - and played Busti instead), and had used our 3 subs on only U22 players, we would have been better served. We might only have won 6-0, or, if Busti had somehow majorly f-ed up 6-1. But it would at least have been a stepping stone for some young guys to get them ready for future key moments.

Once the win was in the bag in the first half (we were up 5-0), tell me, what did our 3 veteran subs (Larin, Ricketts & De Jong) actually learn from this game about tactics and gameplay that they didn't already know? Seriously?

Waste. Of. Fucking. Time.

Herdman should have had 3 young guys, eager to prove themselves, ready to come in, to play from at least from the 55th minute.

Meh ... I wouldn't get too worked up ... he worked in David, Cornelius and Millar, that's pretty good ... he got Cavallini and Larin "both" involved something past coaches didn't.  The rest will come ... Rome was not build in a day and while I was previously suspicious, Herdman did follow through ... I think those other players will be introduced in the future ...I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride   

I disagree about this OM. We want to play to be in League A and we need  to make sure in case a bad result happens ie a draw, that we have contingencies. We shouldn'T say well we will win all 4 matches. However, what happens if we don't? That's why I think we should bring our first 18 and sprinkle in some younger players in camp. Captieing isn't as important as it was 4 years ago with Nations League since we'll play an official match in the  next window and the window after that and the window after that and that will be the case until next November. I'm probably one of the rare people here who thinks that captieing shouldn't be used as a strategy now. If the player's good enough to play on that night, he'll play. We have other windows. If we lose one player because we didn't captie him when he was 18, then he wasn't commited to the program. Also, it would send a bad message to the players on the senior team to tell them well we'd rather play a U22 team than you. We still captied 3 new players and got a result. 

Archived