US Virgin Islands-Canada match thread (R)

Blackdude

Yeah, I guess I am missing something because I just don't see our eagerness to have players capped as a negative thing.  What does it mean?  It means that a bunch of fans really really want you to be a part of their team.  That is all.  And it isn't like we are tricking anyone.  They all know the implications of playing in an official match.  So if they accept the call, they want it too.  Wherein lies the disrespect?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

-Scored a stupid amount of goals

-Didn't cap-tie Zachary Brault-Guillard or Alessandro Busti

-Arfield looked uncharacteristically tired and made some poor passes.

-Concacaf's yank commentator managed to butcher half the names of the players

To sum everything up, I was right, we should have brought a more U21 focused team but now Herdman can put this record goal scoring game on his CV.

Boring.

We win 8-0 and you think that confirms that we called the wrong players? We don’t know what would have happened if we called a U20 team. We might have ended up with a draw for all we know, and then we are really in trouble in terms of qualifying for League A.

And an honest question to you and everyone else lamenting that we didn’t cap tie Busti or ZBG, have you guys watched these players play? They are both in youth setups still, do we really know what we are or are not missing? It would have been nice to see them play (although even if Busti was on the field we wouldn’t have seen him play), but let’s not make this a bigger deal than it is. We will probably see them in Toronto or in U20 WCQ, in the next couple months.

46 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't see anyone arguing to cap every player possible for the sake of collecting them.  What most have advocated is capping players we see as important parts of out future team.  Busti, Cornelius, ZBG, David, Millar, etc - these are guys that could very much be part of our future squad on a regular basis.   People want them capped to ensure that they are part of our player pool going forward - not to maliciously sabotage their other options.  We all know the focus is now on the future.  With 2026 a given and still a while before the 2022 cycle starts in full, we want to be sure that we have the quality pieces in place.  We aren't just out to collect souls.

It doesn't have to be malicious to have bad consequences.  You can cap tie someone just in case, and then never use them in retrospect.  I say don't give anyone false hopes; cap tie them only if they fit into your plans and you're straight about what they need to achieve to make the team.  I've seen plenty of posts advocating the cap-tying of anyone who exhibits any potential whatsoever.  We've kind of sucked for a while and people are desperate for any advantage we can get.  My opinion is that such a strategy will backfire, and we don't need it anyway.

The best part of this game was scoring 8 goals while the other team was parking the bus. If you look at the highlights to our previous record win against St. Lucia, there is some terrible defending. They are playing a high line and not even marking the Canadian players. I know US Virgin Islands is worse than St. Lucia but scoring 8 against them was great to see.

So is camp over? You would think they should stick it out and train since the CSA apparently went bankrupt flying them over. 

I see Jonathan David is doing an interview so it appears at least he is still around.  Go out and party/bond .. just do something with the time.

As for the Waterloo starting 11 thought experiment, remember that it started because Waterloo has a population about equal to US Virgin Islands. It’s cheating to include guys from Kitchener (Alderson I believe) or even Elmira (Pasher).

And on the topic of today’s announcer, cut the guy some slack. It’s not like our players are exactly household names. CONCACAF had to come up with enough guys to call 17 games over a few days, and it’s not like these games are in high demand and big revenue makers, so I doubt they are breaking the bank.

5 minutes ago, thundercaps fan said:

The best part of this game was scoring 8 goals while the other team was parking the bus. If you look at the highlights to our previous record win against St. Lucia, there is some terrible defending. They are playing a high line and not even marking the Canadian players. I know US Virgin Islands is worse than St. Lucia but scoring 8 against them was great to see.

Still to this day embarrassing to watch Occean walk that ball in the net.  What was he thinking? 

3 hours ago, KW519 said:

Derek Cornelius might have just had one of the easiest 90 minute debuts i've ever seen.

Yes I think I saw him and Henry during both water breaks and when the players entered and left the field. Could be a good CB pairing for us in the future but obviously not tested much tonight.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

As for the Waterloo starting 11 thought experiment, remember that it started because Waterloo has a population about equal to US Virgin Islands. It’s cheating to include guys from Kitchener (Alderson I believe) or even Elmira (Pasher).

And on the topic of today’s announcer, cut the guy some slack. It’s not like our players are exactly household names. CONCACAF had to come up with enough guys to call 17 games over a few days, and it’s not like these games are in high demand and big revenue makers, so I doubt they are breaking the bank.

I found the mispronunciation amusing, this guy's biggest attribute was he didn't comment too much and we could hear the players (and birds) quite well from the on field mics!

Just some personal comments/observations from the game:

- It was very hot and humid!  That affected all the players to varying degrees.  Saw Liam Millar after the game and he looked shattered while others were able to manage okay.

- The referee and the assistants were diabolical.  They missed throw-ins, called phantom fouls and towards the end, the USVI players could do almost anything without a foul being called.  And they probably missed one or two penalty calls.

- I think our players sometimes tried to overcomplicate things because the opposition was just sitting back and a few times, we tried to dribble it in.  When we kept things simple and had good spacing, things worked better.

- I will give credit to the USVI players.  They are predominantly amateurs and they looked way overmatched. But I will give them an A for effort.  They just aren't at an international level.

- Finally, I sat with some very nice parents of a couple of the players (Liam Millar's and Derek Cornelius's).  Not a bunch of nicer people you could meet.

Very happy with the result and it could have been way more.  I was a little surprised with the subs that came on but Herdman wanted to make a statement and when I heard about the starting XI, you could tell he had something in mind.  I'm not worried about the finishing.  We scored 8 in oppressive conditions. 

29 minutes ago, clb2c4e said:

You may be on the internet where it always seems everyone is disrespectful or negative. 

The other poster may have no idea about the motivations or ties of Millar and was perhaps just excited that it is now officially confirmed he is part of the future of Canadian soccer. 

I understand it was likely all positive and I came in too strong, but I could not overlook how much trust we are putting into these players. I understand other players have screwed us in the past, but we can’t be nervous about players leaving us. Especially the ones that have already stated on multiple occasions there loyalty to this program

Well, still have my doubts about Herdman, but , when I saw the squad list he managed to assemble for this type of match, I was blown away.

The streaming feed from the concacaf site was good and steady, so thanks to concacaf for that. This from a long-time concacrap hater.

Ok the one thing that irks me, and has for several hours now that I can't let it go, is Herdman shouting "two more" when we were up by 8 goals. I have no problem with setting a team goal or even scoring ten, but to shout that during the match is disrespectful to the opponent, low class and quite frankly extremely amateurish.

There is no need to seek to embarrass an overtly over-matched group of amateurs playing international football. This is not the Canadian way and I am disappointed.

4 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Ok the one thing that irks me, and has for several hours now that I can't let it go, is Herdman shouting "two more" when we were up by 8 goals. I have no problem with setting a team goal or even scoring ten, but to shout that during the match is disrespectful to the opponent, low class and quite frankly extremely amateurish.

There is no need to seek to embarrass an overtly over-matched group of amateurs playing international football. This is not the Canadian way and I am disappointed.

Maybe your reaction would be understandable in a knockout situation but we had every right to up our goal differential as much as possible.  

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Maybe your reaction would be understandable in a knockout situation but we had every right to up our goal differential as much as possible.  

Why only "two more", if that's the case? I would be okay with "keep going", "don't give up" etc... but something doesn't sit right with those words. But of course I see your point - goal difference could matter.

28 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Come on man, are you serious? You remind me of the Panama Coach telling England Manager Gareth Southgate to take easy on them after being down 5-0 at HT

I do see what you’re saying partially, Canada was respectful and showed good sportsmanship under values of sport.

but you can’t just tell your team to stop competing in all honesty, there was like 10 minutes left including additional  time 

It’s not about embarrassing USVI whatsoever here it’s about giving 110% 

We should always expect our best each and every time, simple as that. 

There’s 34 Teams in CNLQ playing in four matches from September to March

Top 6 Qualify to Group A, you really think there won’t be 8-10 National Teams with 4W? Considering the level of some tier II and tier III opponents 

In this region you never know, there’s always a few shockers

Goal difference matters as it should 

Just Check out the standings ⤵️

B2DD0FE3-2209-4F36-8E5E-1F98B2AA817A.png

44 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

but you can’t just tell your team to stop competing in all honesty, there was like 10 minutes left including additional  time 

It’s not about embarrassing USVI whatsoever here it’s about giving 110% 

We should always expect our best each and every time, simple as that. 

I hear you, and am in two minds over this...Score more - I didn't say stop trying -  but as a coach you can't shout "two more" to rub it in when you're leading by eight with ten minutes to go. There's sportsmanship but to be honest it's also a safety issue. I could easily see a player on the other team - thoroughly embarrassed and now pissed off the coach wants more - to go out and try to break a leg of an opponent. In my younger days, I may have even done it.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

OK, maybe I can understand Hoillet's name not being easy for an American, but Millar's a pretty common name in English-speaking countries .  It's not really in Mkhitaryan territory when it comes to difficulty of pronunciation.

Archived