General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

4 hours ago, Zem said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. The EFL Championship playoffs aren't to determine a champion, they're for the 3rd- to 6th-placed clubs to fight over the third promotion spot, and the Championship is a single-table league that already determines its champion through league play.

By contrast, no leagues with regional divisions that are part of a promotion/relegation system have championship playoffs between divisions unless it's for promotion purposes. So no, they do not.

I'd also invite you to take a look at a more relevant example, the UEFA Nations League, which also has no championship playoffs in the lower divisions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

They're called "leagues" because they're part of a league system that is distinct from other international competitions available to Concacaf nations. There is nothing about the name that mandates that every division must have one champion.

Most importantly, you might remember that the Nations League format was developed in close cooperation with and required the approval of all Conacacf members. If Bermuda, Aruba and any other nations actually thought lower-division championship playoffs were interesting or necessary, they would have asked for them.

You didn’t teach me anything in there I don’t know. We just don’t agree on this.

I was surprised that UEFA isn’t doing championships for each tier as well. I was actually wondering if CONCACAF was just dead set on copying them as much as possible. It’s just two extra games, seems easy enough to do.

54 minutes ago, Kent said:

You didn’t teach me anything in there I don’t know. We just don’t agree on this.

I was surprised that UEFA isn’t doing championships for each tier as well. I was actually wondering if CONCACAF was just dead set on copying them as much as possible. It’s just two extra games, seems easy enough to do.

Purpose of this competition is to give nations meaningful games to play instead of friendlies, which most in concacaf seldom bother with. By extending each B&C league campaign with a playoffs round this means that those not finishing top of their groups will be left out for the next 2 maybe even 3 windows. Defeats the purpose. Promotion to the next level is a good enough prize.

Edited by SirBobsaget

12 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Purpose of this competition is to give nations meaningful games to play instead of friendlies, which most in concacaf seldom bother with. By extending each B&C league campaign with a playoffs round this means that those not finishing top of their groups will be left out for the next 2 maybe even 3 windows. Defeats the purpose. Promotion to the next level is a good enough prize.

It doesn’t mean that at all. The League A playoffs happen over one window (March 2020 for the inaugural edition). The League B and C teams are doing nothing in that window unless they organize friendlies. The 4 teams from B and the 4 teams from C that win their groups could just play their semifinals and finals in that same window.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

It doesn’t mean that at all. The League A playoffs happen over one window (March 2020 for the inaugural edition). The League B and C teams are doing nothing in that window unless they organize friendlies. The 4 teams from B and the 4 teams from C that win their groups could just play their semifinals and finals in that same window.

You're right, playoffs run through a single window in March. 

I assumed that the League A playoffs would be played over 2 windows while the other leagues wrapped up their group matches. Since they have 6 matches vs 4 for A I guessed this was the format. 

So my next argument is $$$. The League C playoffs would be money loser while the League A playoffs (aka Mexico vs USA) will be a big part of funding the lower leagues expenses.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

UEFA actually is doing championships for the lower leagues but they happen AFTER euro qualifying in March 2020.  The League D Champion actually earns qualification to Euro 2020 which will be somewhat farcical.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I could be wrong, but could it be that they would be playing WCQ at that time?

9 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I could be wrong, but could it be that they would be playing WCQ at that time?

It's possible since we don't yet know what the format for WCQ will be. That picture should become clear in July, when the draw happens, at the latest.

10 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

UEFA actually is doing championships for the lower leagues but they happen AFTER euro qualifying in March 2020.  The League D Champion actually earns qualification to Euro 2020 which will be somewhat farcical.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed this. It's not quite what I was envisioning, more of an extension of qualifying and using Nations League results to figure out the last teams to qualify. I guess they are doing this to get buy in to the fact that Nations League is important.

10 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

So dumb.. I learned this when suddenly Estonia was in the Euros in my FM (with Vaikla in goal), I thought it was a glitch at first.  It’s bad news for us because we can’t say to a guy like Vaikla or Yankov that they’ll never play in a big tournament since they very well could.

The format makes no sense though.. so you should get relegated to league D on purpose for an automatic spot? 

I just looked at the schedules remaining for the 13 teams that have won all their games to date (that list will be trimmed by at least 2 teams tomorrow no matter what the results are, and as many as 6). Based on the remaining schedules, I then tried to find the highest number of possible 4 game winners when all is said and done. I believe the highest number of 4 win teams at this moment is 7.

My prediction that 4 wins will land you in the top 6 is very nearly guaranteed before the 2nd round is even complete. I'm still hoping for a blowout win tomorrow for Canada though.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

That St. Kitts score at least means that the team should be in no danger of taking them lightly when we go down to play them in November (if the 0-0 draw from the last time we played them there already didn't).

If Canada calls the same kind of team (ie 2 fullbacks) against St Kitts, I will lose my mind. 

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

So dumb.. I learned this when suddenly Estonia was in the Euros in my FM (with Vaikla in goal), I thought it was a glitch at first.  It’s bad news for us because we can’t say to a guy like Vaikla or Yankov that they’ll never play in a big tournament since they very well could.

The format makes no sense though.. so you should get relegated to league D on purpose for an automatic spot? 

I’m guessing they want to replicate another Iceland run in the tournament. With the added teams and dilution of quality in the tournament, I honestly don’t mind this rule.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I’m guessing they want to replicate another Iceland run in the tournament. With the added teams and dilution of quality in the tournament, I honestly don’t mind this rule.

How? Iceland qualified on merit by beating Netherlands and the Czechs.  Good luck having the winner of Cyprus v Estonia make a run. 

18 hours ago, Keegan said:

How? Iceland qualified on merit by beating Netherlands and the Czechs.  Good luck having the winner of Cyprus v Estonia make a run. 

I’m not defending it, just giving their reasoning. Plus they probably wantes to give more incentive to the nations league

I have no issue with the Group D thing.  In the long run it should incentivize minnows to put more money into their programs for hope of a larger payoff from the Euro revenue, and frankly if you include a potential host + winners of Group C/D, if you're not one of the best 21 (or 22 without a host) other teams in the continent you have no room to complain about missing out on the tournament.

I know its still a longshot, but has anybody seen that Montserrat could actually qualify for the gold cup? They defeated a pot B team in Belize, play pot C in Aruba next, and finish off against the pot D in Cayman Islands on matchday 4.

Should they pull off wins, that puts them at 9 points. With the help of some draws from teams above, its possible. To think they almost came out with a result against El Salvador too in matchday 1.

Cool seeing potential stories like this, and probably what CONCACAF was hoping for when they started this tournament.

Edited by tyler453

575BF905-E9C0-4FBD-A702-DB28F1E34909.thumb.jpeg.7fb8dc9bc0c4b297d2b72a1cf9f70cf2.jpegD12EB1A5-9C5A-491D-9812-76D7E5750D16.thumb.jpeg.4ec11a3327f66052daffb32350800e92.jpeg

Going in to match day 3 there are 10 teams with perfect records. 

These are their match day 3 games with predictions.

curaçao v Guadeloupe 
haiti v Nicaragua 
st kitts and nevis v Canada
cuba v Dominican Republic
Jamaica v Suriname 
Martinique v Antigua and Barbuda 
El Salvador v Bermuda 

these results would leave us with 7 perfect records going into matchday 4 and a win in matchday 4 would guarantee us A spot in league a
Edited by SkuseisLoose

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:
Going in to match day 3 there are 10 teams with perfect records. 

These are their match day 3 games with predictions.

curaçao v Guadeloupe 
haiti v Nicaragua 
st kitts and nevis v Canada
cuba v Dominican Republic
Jamaica v Suriname 
Martinique v Antigua and Barbuda 
El Salvador v Bermuda 

these results would leave us with 7 perfect records going into matchday 4 and a win in matchday 4 would guarantee us A spot in league a

By my estimation, after looking at the upcoming games for all the 2-0 teams, the most that can win all 4 is 6 teams. There are a few combinations of 6 teams that can finish with 4, but it has to include Curacao and Martinique.

So as @tyler453 pointed out, Montserrat definitely does have a shot at the Gold Cup if they keep up their good form against the weaker teams they have coming up.

12 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And I think Cuba has a better than decent chance of winning and Nicaraguan might be able to get a draw at Haiti.

Nicaragua actually plays Haiti at home (in Costa Rica though).  Same with Bermuda v El Salvador.. two potential upsets there. 

16 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

On the CONCACAF Nations League website, they list BMO as the host of the French Guiana game in March.  Has anyone seen the CSA mention anything? Is it possible CONCACAF is just using BMO as a place holder until something official is announced?

I’m almost certain herdman said the feench Guiana game is at BMO. Watch the post match interview from Tuesday.