General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

1 hour ago, devioustrevor said:

Wow.  Apparently Bayern Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey decided not to play for Jamaica this weekend because the JFF didn't also call up his younger brother Kyle who plays in the Austrian Second Division.

He doesn’t even play he is a bench player

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Our match next month will test us for sure.  St. Kitts is a decently talented squad and I'm going to imagine their home venue won't have the greatest pitch for us to play.  

Some of our guys are playing in reserve leagues in Europe, probably not too different for them.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

As an example. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFL_Championship#Results

2nd tier leagues determine champions.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. The EFL Championship playoffs aren't to determine a champion, they're for the 3rd- to 6th-placed clubs to fight over the third promotion spot, and the Championship is a single-table league that already determines its champion through league play.

By contrast, no leagues with regional divisions that are part of a promotion/relegation system have championship playoffs between divisions unless it's for promotion purposes. So no, they do not.

I'd also invite you to take a look at a more relevant example, the UEFA Nations League, which also has no championship playoffs in the lower divisions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

2 hours ago, Kent said:

You think Aruba wouldn’t like to brag to Bermuda about beating them in the League C final? These are teams that will never win the Gold Cup, and will never make it to the World Cup (until it expands to 150 teams or so). I think it would be a point of pride. Even for a country like Canada which will no doubt be in League B at some point, winning the League B championship would be a consolation prize to help get over the fact we had been relegated down to that level in the first place.

We are calling them “leagues”. How do you have a league that doesn’t determine a champion?

They're called "leagues" because they're part of a league system that is distinct from other international competitions available to Concacaf nations. There is nothing about the name that mandates that every division must have one champion.

Most importantly, you might remember that the Nations League format was developed in close cooperation with and required the approval of all Conacacf members. If Bermuda, Aruba and any other nations actually thought lower-division championship playoffs were interesting or necessary, they would have asked for them.

30 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Our match next month will test us for sure.  St. Kitts is a decently talented squad and I'm going to imagine their home venue won't have the greatest pitch for us to play.  

I think that will be the game where we actually see how far we've come ...

18 minutes ago, Zem said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. The EFL Championship playoffs aren't to determine a champion, they're for the 3rd- to 6th-placed clubs to fight over the third promotion spot, and the Championship is a single-table league that already determines its champion through league play.

By contrast, no leagues with regional divisions that are part of a promotion/relegation system have championship playoffs between divisions unless it's for promotion purposes. So no, they do not.

I'd also invite you to take a look at a more relevant example, the UEFA Nations League, which also has no championship playoffs in the lower divisions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

They're called "leagues" because they're part of a league system that is distinct from other international competitions available to Concacaf nations. There is nothing about the name that mandates that every division must have one champion.

Most importantly, you might remember that the Nations League format was developed in close cooperation with and required the approval of all Conacacf members. If Bermuda, Aruba and any other nations actually thought lower-division championship playoffs were interesting or necessary, they would have asked for them.

All very well, but Kent is correct on this, his reasoning makes more sense to me. Let each tier have a champ, sounds pretty good to me.

4 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

What is up with Montserrat?  They are one of the lowest ranked teams in the world, but last month they gave El Salvador a hell of a scare, and are now holding what was looking like a solid Belize team 0-0 with less than 30 minutes left.

I've been thinking the same thing. They look much better than their ranking. If it's a case of them not being able to organize any matches, the CNL will be ideal for them. I was typing that I hope they get the draw tonight and maybe with a close GD, they might get one of the last spots in League B, but I see they've taken the lead! ? 

3 minutes ago, jtpc said:

I've been thinking the same thing. They look much better than their ranking. If it's a case of them not being able to organize any matches, the CNL will be ideal for them. I was typing that I hope they get the draw tonight and maybe with a close GD, they might get one of the last spots in League B, but I see they've taken the lead! ? 

It seems like their team is made up of a lot of lower division England players who were born in England but have a parent or grandparent from Montserrat. Current population of Montserrat is only about 5000 and even before the volcano explosion it was only around 13000. 

1 minute ago, Grizzly said:

It seems like their team is made up of a lot of lower division England players who were born in England but have a parent or grandparent from Montserrat. Current population of Montserrat is only about 5000 and even before the volcano explosion it was only around 13000. 

They also have three solid pro players in Lyle Taylor (Charlton in League One), Brandon Comley (Colchester in League Two) and Alex Dyer (Elfsborg in the Allsvenskan) who have been instrumental in their performances so far.