General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

I don't know what it is, but I just get the feeling that Guadeloupe is going to hold Curacao on Matchday 3.  I feel the Dominican Republic will hold Cuba as well.

For me, I think the surprise team is going to be Belize.  I think they are going to beat both Puerto Rico (who don't look good at all) on Matchday 3 and Guyana on Matchday 4 and take 12 points.

I think Canada, Haiti, Jamaica, and Belize all end up on 12 points.  Curacao, Dominican Republic and Martinique end up at 10, with Curacao and Dominican Republic going into League A on goal differential.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

De Guzman out for Roberts in 84th.

I completely forgot about that.  We cap tied him before Sierra Leone could, and he's never played for us since.

Fortunately for him, our depth at Centreback is so thin that he still has a small chance of being called again unless Tomori and Ferreira decide to play for Canada.

10 minutes ago, Kent said:

P.S. According to FIFA's site, in the first leg Stamatopolous came on for Teibert in the 82nd minute. I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. I hope their info for the 2nd leg is accurate, it seems to jive pretty well with my memory.

Their info seems correct.

Borjan was red carded in the 80th min. So, Teibert had to came off for Stamatopoulos.

Edited by aloyol

4 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Their info seems correct.

Borjan was red carded in the 80th min. So, Teibert had to came off for Stamatopoulos.

Ah! I was thinking he got injured. Didn't he have a hand injury in the recent past? Was that in the Gold Cup?

You'd think FIFA's website would note players that got a red card in the game.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

In addition to Roberts and Larin we also captied Manjrekar James in Roseau his place of birth, which I thought was pretty cool. 

Only cool because we were on the right end of it. A lot of people didn't think it was too cool when Vitoria was playing for Portugal in Canada.

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

In addition to Roberts and Larin we also captied Manjrekar James in Roseau his place of birth, which I thought was pretty cool. 

Lol.  We would lose our collective shit if we had a desirable player poached from us by a CONCACAF rival, and they capped him on Canadian soil.

Edit: Ah, Kent beat me to it.

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lol.  We would lose our collective shit if we had a desirable player poached from us by a CONCACAF rival, and they capped him on Canadian soil.

Edit: Ah, Kent beat me to it.

I think it would be more like Alain Rochat being captied in Montreal.. we would be logical (I hope) it’s not like others who have grown up there and turned their backs. 

First real upset of the competition.

St. Vincent & Grenadines just beat French Guiana in French Guiana.

Additionally, SVG's final two games are vs. Turks and Caicos and Bonaire.  There is a very good chance they end up on 9 points and qualify for the Gold Cup and perhaps even League A.

Edited by devioustrevor

12 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

First real upset of the competition.

St. Vincent & Grenadines just beat French Guiana in French Guiana.

Additionally, SVG's final two games are vs. Turks and Caicos and Bonaire.  There is a very good chance they end up on 9 points and qualify for the Gold Cup and perhaps even League A.

This is massive! Too bad st Vincent lost 2-0 to Nicaragua at home. Either way I see them getting 9 points and going to the gold cup for sure 

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

Party at Phillip's Bakery.  Lower Middle Street.

(also its been over 10 years gah)

Oh man, I remember those ads.  The dark days of being forced to follow our National Team on an internet stream of a radio station from the Caribbean.

People can shit on paid services like Oz and DAZN, but we actually get to watch games. 

Still haven't heard anything about costs related to Oz after the trial period ends in December.

21 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

I don't know what it is, but I just get the feeling that Guadeloupe is going to hold Curacao on Matchday 3.  I feel the Dominican Republic will hold Cuba as well.

For me, I think the surprise team is going to be Belize.  I think they are going to beat both Puerto Rico (who don't look good at all) on Matchday 3 and Guyana on Matchday 4 and take 12 points.

I think Canada, Haiti, Jamaica, and Belize all end up on 12 points.  Curacao, Dominican Republic and Martinique end up at 10, with Curacao and Dominican Republic going into League A on goal differential.

I think the Curacao/Guadeloupe matchup could have an interesting effect on first place in qualifying. Before reading your gut feeling on matchday 3, I was thinking that first would most likely be between us, Curacao, and Haiti depending on who has the best GD. If Curacao draws on matchday 3, then they'll make League A but first and second are probably us and Haiti somehow. I'm curious to see what Curacao's GD is after today. If they have similar success to us against USVI, it could be close to +20.

I'm glad you mentioned Belize because I think they have the schedule to get into League A as well. My League A picks right now are us, Haiti, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Belize, and for a 6th team, I think I would lean toward Jamaica, although having an away game in Central America makes me naturally hesitant about the outcome you can get out of it lol. Even though Cuba has a strong GD after their first match, I don't think they will be there in the end as they have to play both Haiti and Dominican Republic.

I had assumed French Guiana would make it to the Gold Cup, but that won't be happening after last night. Saint Lucia and Aruba must be liking their chances now to finish in the top 10 and make the Gold Cup. Aruba won their first, they probably won't take any points off Guadeloupe, but then they are home to Montserrat, and away to Saint Lucia. There's a chance they could end up with 9 points out of that. Same could be said for Saint Lucia as well. I don't see them taking points off Haiti, but then they are away to Cayman Islands and home to Aruba. Assuming Saint Lucia and Aruba don't draw their final game, I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them get one of the Gold Cup spots.

Edited by jtpc

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I know this may seem snarky, but I mean it sincerely: I have never been more interested in other CONCACAF national teams. As a fan, I am really enjoying this. My only complaint so far is playing one match per window.

I agree, I think this is going to be very good for our federation. 

Consider the sentiment thirded.  I really enjoyed watching the first round of matches.  Hard to feel like a real player in the global game when our Federation's matches were generally inaccessible and disorganized.  The NL now not only structures things in a way that makes it seem more legit, but the streaming access is a big benefit.  As the game continues to grow in CONCACAF, this could be huge.

1 hour ago, devioustrevor said:

Oh man, I remember those ads.  The dark days of being forced to follow our National Team on an internet stream of a radio station from the Caribbean.

People can shit on paid services like Oz and DAZN, but we actually get to watch games. 

Still haven't heard anything about costs related to Oz after the trial period ends in December.

Who's shitting on paid streaming services?! They are the best, nothing wrong with paying for commercial free high quality content and getting to watch what you want, when you want.

Cable is where I think is where the issue is. Pay high fees for the service, still have to sit through ads..

Just now, Yoginess said:

Who's shitting on paid streaming services?! They are the best, nothing wrong with paying for commercial free high quality content and getting to watch what you want, when you want.

Cable is where I think is where the issue is. Pay high fees for the service, still have to sit through ads..

Haven't seen it here (I haven't spent much time here in the past 3-4 years though) but other sections of the internet seem to be blowing their collective gaskets over sites like DAZN.

Basketball Canada's games are on DAZN, so lots of people whining, "we can't even watch the games."

Champions League, Europa League, La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, all on DAZN.  "People are going to just stop watching."  I'd rather spend $150 a year and get to pick which games I watch than pay $100 a month for a cable package where some pencil-dick in Toronto who doesn't realize there is a sports world outside of hockey decides which game I'm stuck with.

I love DAZN.  NFL streaming, English Championship, La Liga, Serie A, Bellator, Boxing, Basketball Canada, MLB Network all for $150 a year?  Hells yeah.

They got a bunch of NCAA stuff too, if they had College Basketball as well I'd be super stoked.

They could probably get African Champions League rights for Canada pretty cheap.  I'd be down with that.

Regarding St. Vincent vs French Guiana. A surprise result, but maybe we shouldn't be hugely shocked if they make it to the Gold Cup or even League A. Afterall, they did make it to the final 12 of WCQ last cycle (but were far and away the worst team to make it to that round).

Regarding this competition growing interest in other games within the Confederation, I agree too. Even yesterday when I knew I wouldn't be able to watch the game, I was just excited during the day knowing we would get another result. Hopefully I can watch a bit of the latest games today. I had a lot of fun watching El Salvador vs Montserrat last round.