General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

Incidentally El Salvador is playing a friendly against Brazil today and are down 4-0 in the 57th minute, so their "great form" is continuing. Still, they are at least still playing friendlies in addition to CNL games, unlike us so I guess we can't snicker too much.......

Costa Rica also got pasted 3-0 by Japan today, Guatemala, Panama, US & Mexico all currently scoreless in their friendlies

I’m pretty sure someone has posted something similar but I thought I’d show why Canada needs good goal difference

List of teams in order of table with 4  potential wins

0B965CA5-95E6-4C30-B203-5888A49F7951.thumb.jpeg.0e86bb0f83a70c2056865159a6a571a9.jpeg

Their match day 2 games with predicted result

Haiti(w) vs Saint Lucia
?? (SL) No 4 wins 

Cuba(w) vs Grenada

Curaçao(w) vs USVI

Canada(w) vs Dominica

Dominican Republic(w) vs Cayman Islands

French Guiana(w) vs Saint Vincent and the grenadines

Belize (w) vs monsteratt

Bonaire vs Jamaica (w)

Guadeloupe(w) vs Aruba
?? (ARU) No 4 wins

Nicaragua(w) vs Anguilla

El Salvador(w) vs Barbados

Saint Martin vs Saint Kitts and Nevis(w)

Remaining teams

??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??

3rd match day games

Nicaragua vs Haiti(w)
?? (NIC) No 4 wins

Cuba(t) vs Dominican Republic(t)
?? (CUB)/ ?? (DOM) No 4 wins

Curaçao(w) vs Guadeloupe
?? (GUA) No 4 wins

St Kitts and Nevis vs Canada(w)
?? (STN) No 4 wins

French Guiana(w) vs Guyana

Belize(w) vs Puerto Rico

Jamaica(w) vs Suriname

Bermuda vs El Salvador(w)

Remaining teams

??
??
??
??
??
??
??

Final match day games

Haiti(w/t) vs Cuba(L/t)

Antigua and Barbuda vs curaçao(w)

Canada(w) vs French Guiana
?? (FGU) No 4 wins

Guyana vs belize(w)

El Salvador(w/t) vs Jamaica(L/t)
?? (JAM) No 4 wins

Remaining teams

Curaçao
Canada
Belize
El Salvador(maybe)
Haiti (maybe)

I forgot about Martinique and can’t be bothered to change it but from my guesses I would have to assume goal difference matters

Edited by SkuseisLoose

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

CPL.ca with ConCaCaf results and CMNT being 4th

Well Haiti, Cuba, and Curacao were putting in the goals. 13, 11, & 10 each respectively that's crazy makes you wonder, if CMNT could have put more goals against USVI. Anyways can't wait for the next game. 

We could have scored more but it’s really hard when the opposition has narrowed the pitch size and packed the box with 10 men.  We would have never scored that many with squads of the past.

25 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

We could have scored more but it’s really hard when the opposition has narrowed the pitch size...

To further elaborate on this point, the USVI were able to do this because they were the home team. Haiti, Cuba and Curacao all played at home which is obviously a big advantage. We were the highest scoring road team by a margin of 3 goals.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

To further elaborate on this point, the USVI were able to do this because they were the home team. Haiti, Cuba and Curacao all played at home which is obviously a big advantage. We were the highest scoring road team by a margin of 3 goals.

That being said, we need to improve on our 2015 result and put more than 4 past Dominica in Toronto this time around. We should at least.

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I forgot about Martinique and can’t be bothered to change it but from my guesses I would have to assume goal difference matters

I agree that goal difference matters, but only from the standpoint that we could potentially fail to win a game. In the scenario you outlined it doesn’t matter because this is Qualifying, not the actual Nations League. Sure it would feel nice and be a confidence boost to have Canada at the very top of the table, but if we are in the top 6 (and you listed us in the top 5) it doesn’t really matter where in that top 6 we are.

16 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

So what should we hope to expect against Dominica? Anything over 5+ goals and a clean sheet?

Their entire team almost are players that play domestically in Dominica. No reason why we shouldn't win by a large margin. I'm hoping for at least 6 or 7-0, but seeing as Curacao beat Grenada 10-0, a team higher than Dominica in the FIFA rankings, I'm hoping for more, but not betting on it.

Edited by tyler453

13 hours ago, Kent said:

I agree that goal difference matters, but only from the standpoint that we could potentially fail to win a game. In the scenario you outlined it doesn’t matter because this is Qualifying, not the actual Nations League. Sure it would feel nice and be a confidence boost to have Canada at the very top of the table, but if we are in the top 6 (and you listed us in the top 5) it doesn’t really matter where in that top 6 we are.

Yes but I’ve predicted Cuba and Dominican Republic to draw if Dominican Republic win they could easy win all 4 and add a 7th team to that mix 

14 hours ago, Kent said:

JH has stated often that the mindset of the players on the CMNT has to improve. He has made it one of his major objectives. To get there we need to start by crushing every minnow we meet, at home or away and reinforce that mentality. This is not just about qualifying for league A...it's getting there by  destroying the opposition. We have to develop a swagger....Don't mess with us. If we don't do this against the teams we are playing how are we going to overcome Honduras/ Panama/Costa Rica? Goal  difference is a lot more important in achieving a greater objective. Its whyJH  started the players he did against USVI and deployed the unorthodox system of 2- 5- 3

11 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Yes but I’ve predicted Cuba and Dominican Republic to draw if Dominican Republic win they could easy win all 4 and add a 7th team to that mix 

5 + 1 = 6, not 7. What are your seven teams now? You listed 5 with two of them labeled “maybe”, then added one more maybe and somehow ended up with 7.

10 hours ago, Kadenge said:

JH has stated often that the mindset of the players on the CMNT has to improve. He has made it one of his major objectives. To get there we need to start by crushing every minnow we meet, at home or away and reinforce that mentality. This is not just about qualifying for league A...it's getting there by  destroying the opposition. We have to develop a swagger....Don't mess with us. If we don't do this against the teams we are playing how are we going to overcome Honduras/ Panama/Costa Rica? Goal  difference is a lot more important in achieving a greater objective. Its whyJH  started the players he did against USVI and deployed the unorthodox system of 2- 5- 3

Yes, this is what I meant by a confidence boost. You didn’t disagree with my comment.

6 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Like I said in the original post I forgot to add Martinique who I think could get 4 wins making six plus the Dominican Republic = 7

Ah, OK. All of those teams have a reasonable shot at winning all 4. Personally I think it’s still very unlikely. Somewhere along the line I think one of those teams will trip up. Especially the games against Guadeloupe, Jamaica, and as you mentioned Cuba.

We will see how it all shakes out. It seems to be a unique competition. I can’t remember anything quite like it, so it should be fun.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:45 AM, Kent said:

Ah, OK. All of those teams have a reasonable shot at winning all 4. Personally I think it’s still very unlikely. Somewhere along the line I think one of those teams will trip up. Especially the games against Guadeloupe, Jamaica, and as you mentioned Cuba.

Just so long as it isn't Canada that trips up!!!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

For November or March I hope we see:

Brett Levis, Adam Straith, Juan Cordova, Fraser Aird And AJH 

AJH is the only one that I disagree since he's not playing right now and we have better options that can do his job. If he was to do something with the Impact, I'd want him back for sure, but he's not even making the Impact's bench right now and he's healthy. I'd want less MLS players for November-March. I think that's where our abroad players should be at their best.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, Daryn27 said:

So what should we hope to expect against Dominica? Anything over 5+ goals and a clean sheet?

Dominica isn't much better than USVI.  Frankly, unless Dominica parks the bus, I would expect a similar scoreline to the one vs. USVI.

I was at that last Dominica game and I seem to recall a 4-5-1 with Marcus Haber as the lone frontman.  I would hope our attacking is improved.

12 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Dominica isn't much better than USVI.  Frankly, unless Dominica parks the bus, I would expect a similar scoreline to the one vs. USVI.

I was at that last Dominica game and I seem to recall a 4-5-1 with Marcus Haber as the lone frontman.  I would hope our attacking is improved.

Maybe at the end of the game?

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/round=274831/match=300310542/report.html

Starting lineup: Stamatopolous; Ledgerwood, Morgan, Edgar, Straith; De Guzman, Osorio, Piette; Ricketts, Larin, Akindele

I'm not sure about how I clumped them together, but that's my best guess (just thinking about defence, midfield, attack, I didn't consider left/right).

Larin came out for Haber in the 63rd, Akindele out for Tissot in 71st, and De Guzman out for Roberts in 84th.

Goals from Akindele, Larin, and Ricketts (2).

P.S. According to FIFA's site, in the first leg Stamatopolous came on for Teibert in the 82nd minute. I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. I hope their info for the 2nd leg is accurate, it seems to jive pretty well with my memory.

Edited by Kent