General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

This doesn't really affect us as we've played them and gotten our 5-0 victory. 

If they refuse to play I assume their opponent gets credited with a 3-0 win.

That would really boost Sint Maartin's chances of qualifying for Nations League B though.

Edit: oops, read dominica and then realized it's the DR!

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

That would really boost Sint Maartin's chances of qualifying for Nations League B though.

The team involved is the Dominican Republic, not Dominica.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We’re talking DR not Dominica.  DR plays Cuba and they would get a walk over win.  

The irony is that many of these teams would be better off having walk overs at 3-0 than being destroyed. 

Edited by Keegan

Crazy considering DR is on 6 pts with +8 GD.     Their last game against Bermuda is entirely winnable, so the game against Cuba could very much be the one that decides their fate going forward - and Cuba isn't exactly an unbeatable powerhouse.

Maybe that is the whole point and they see this as the best lever to get better treatment from their Association, but sad if it backfires on them. 

1 hour ago, Zem said:

The team involved is the Dominican Republic, not Dominica.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

We’re talking DR not Dominica.  DR plays Cuba and they would get a walk over win.  

The irony is that many of these teams would be better off having walk overs at 3-0 than being destroyed. 

Did both of you really rush that quickly to correct me before I managed to edit my comment and correct myself?

Because if so that is damn impressive :)

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the more lopsided matchups are over, I think it will be really interesting to see how matchday 3 plays out. There's a lot of potential for movement in the standings and separation among the teams, more so than we've had from the first 2 matchdays. 6 of the 10 teams with perfect records play each other this time around (Cuba/Dominican Republic, Nicaragua/Haiti, Us/Saint Kitts and Nevis).

The 4 point teams are definitely still in it as well, as with a win, they would instantly put themselves in contention for one of the Gold Cup spots ranked 7-10. If any of the 2-0 teams lose, Guyana/Suriname/Guadeloupe/Aruba would jump ahead of them with a win, and should any of the matchups between 2-0 teams end in draws, a win by a 4 point team would put them level with those teams on 7 points. By the end of matchday 3, at least we'll have a range of points for teams in the top 10. Some will be at 9, some will be at 6, and there might be a few with 7.

Edited by jtpc

5 hours ago, Alex said:

According to the Caribbeanfooty twitter account:

Seems British Virgin Islands - Bonaire has been postponed until next March due to flight issues for Bonaire.

Yeah, I got an email from CONCACAF with the subject/headline.

"November 16th, 2008: Match between British Virgin Islands and Bonaire postponed"

Seems they can't catch a break. Trying to get this game played for 10 years and it's still not happening yet.

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Montserrat deservedly leading Aruba 1-0 at half.    Third straight game they've taken the lead.  Nearly all their team are from England and it's clear from watching them this is no pub team and these results are not flukes.

Agreed.  They have a very winnable game on Matchday 4 (vs. Cayman Islands), Montserrat could be playing in the Gold Cup in the Summer.

El Salvador risks not being in the Gold Cup.  If they can't come back vs. Bermuda, they risk missing out as they play Jamaica on Matchday 4.

And then there were 9 teams left with perfect records.

I'd imagine that losing to the 180th team in the FIFA rankings is going to result in quite a hit in FIFA points for El Salvador, so that's a nice bonus for us.

It will be interesting to see what the minimum point total is that gets a team into the Gold Cup. Depending on the other matches in the next few days, Bermuda's +11 goal differential could be the best among the teams with 6 points after this matchday.

Really enjoying Montserrat's success. They were seconds away from taking points off El Salvador and they could have 2 wins after tonight. Their final match is against the Cayman Islands, so they could have 9 points after qualification. ?

Edited by jtpc

43 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Agreed.  They have a very winnable game on Matchday 4 (vs. Cayman Islands), Montserrat could be playing in the Gold Cup in the Summer.

What a Cinderella story that would be.  I'm rooting for them.  Up by 2 now on a wonder strike.